Login

New to Nebula, some help please

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

New to Nebula, some help please

Postby AMIELMIX » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:48 am

Hi, I am new to nebula, so I would like the kind help of you guys in teeling me how to move along with Nebula.

I got Nebula Server,

I see in Pro tools are different Nebulas, Nebula ZL, Nebula, Nebula Reverb etc,

what are the differences and advantages of using one in particular over the other?

Skins:
So I want to know for example in Tim's Blue MU Comp Limiter, how to change the skin?
Do I have to load the skin everytime?

Is recommended to have the Libraries always in the OS Drive? that is the best Place?

any tips to maximize performance and lower CPU usage?

Thanks!
AMIELMIX
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: New to Nebula, some help please

Postby jpn » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:01 pm

AMIELMIX wrote:Hi, I am new to nebula, so I would like the kind help of you guys in teeling me how to move along with Nebula.

I got Nebula Server,

I see in Pro tools are different Nebulas, Nebula ZL, Nebula, Nebula Reverb etc,

what are the differences and advantages of using one in particular over the other?

Skins:
So I want to know for example in Tim's Blue MU Comp Limiter, how to change the skin?

Is recommended to have the Libraries always in the OS Drive? that is the best Place?

any tips to maximize performance and lower CPU usage?

Thanks!

Hi AMIELMIX.... about skins
The best way to manage skins and libraries is Nebula setups.
Specialy when libraries have more than a skin.

that´s all you need :)

http://zabukowski.com/software/?page_id=337

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=28915
jpn

Postby Support » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:05 pm

Go starting point...

SS.jpg
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby namooz » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:16 pm

Absolutely! Nebula Setups makes all the difference in the world.

As for Nebula itself, give yourself some time…..read the forum here. A lot of answers are within. It is well worth the effort-the reward. Download Nebula Free-go through the install process located on this forum. Dive in and start working it. Slow it down and listen to the sound…………what it can do. You'll be fine.
namooz
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby RE301 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:32 pm

Welcome to the world of Nebula - be prepared to have the personal interest and initiative to take time and energy to search out information, dig deep at times, experience confusion & frustration but also rewards & better understanding how the tools work..it just goes with the territory :-)

All the answers to your questions are (probably) here on the forums (sometimes buried / requiring effort & determination or even good luck to find.. So its like seeking the hidden treasure! )

Basically - there is a learning curve.. that seems never-ending! Some might see all this as kind of a negative/source of frustration, another person might enjoy the challenge / personal satisfaction of figuring things out.. or a mix of all at times! :-)
RE301

Postby RE301 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:43 pm

Nebula 'Tips of the Month', some essential info is to be found in there:

viewforum.php?f=39

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nebula FAQs and more with crucial info (hidden away under the title 'announcements') :-)

viewforum.php?f=10

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To use skins you will need this program - Nebula Setups:

http://zabukowski.com/software/?page_id=337

[url]
http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... &Itemid=53[/url]

Creating Nebula setups using Nebula Setups

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=28955

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nebula tips / optimizing using Master page settings

Part 1
http://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1847&p=16033&hilit=optimizing+buffer#p16033

Part 2
http://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1858&p=16105&hilit=optimizing+buffer#p16105

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nebula tips - alternative data path to free up OS partition

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/index.php?f=11&t=567&start=0&rb_v=viewtopic
Last edited by RE301 on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RE301

Postby botus99 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:51 pm

AMIELMIX wrote:Hi, I am new to nebula, so I would like the kind help of you guys in teeling me how to move along with Nebula.

Cool! Don't be afraid to ask questions here, but do expect us to recommend reading previous forum posts haha.

AMIELMIX wrote:I see in Pro tools are different Nebulas, Nebula ZL, Nebula, Nebula Reverb etc,

ZL stands for "Zero-Latency". So ZL is meant for tracking (bear in mind, this is at the cost of much higher CPU usage).

Nebula is inbetween ZL and Reverb in terms of performance/latency. It has a small DSP Buffer and honestly, isn't of very much use to me.

Nebula Reverb is the one you will want to use in mixing. It has the highest latency and lowest CPU usage.

AMIELMIX wrote:Skins:

Using the aforementioned Nebula Setups is your best bet here (if you don't know what that is, just search it. It makes separate Nebula plugins for one library or whatever libraries you want to consolidate into one plugin). This will allow you to use the Blue MU skin with only the Blue MU library. This will speed up loading times greatly! If you stick with using only Nebula, you'll have to wait for it to load EVERY library you have EVERY time you load it up. As you buy more libraries, this becomes really cumbersome, so Nebula Setups is a MUST in my opinion.

Sorry that this doesn't DIRECTLY answer your question, but please trust me (and others pointing to this answer) that this is actually THE answer to the problem of switching skins and using them for specific libraries.

AMIELMIX wrote:Is recommended to have the Libraries always in the OS Drive? that is the best Place?

Eh, maybe but probably not. It depends on your situation. Nebula libraries work great with SSD's. If you have a 500gb or 1tb SSD for your OS, but no other SSD's (and it's not feasible to buy a separate one specifically for Nebula), then that might be a good option. The important thing with using your OS drive, if you have really to, is that it has plenty of spare space and operates at a fast speed.

However libraries can quickly build up and take 500gb on their own (especially with any 96khz reverb libraries). The best option is to have a dedicated SSD drive specifically for Nebula if that's possible. Otherwise, use what you got, but use the hard drive with the highest speed and most free space. Again, this is just my opinion.

AMIELMIX wrote:any tips to maximize performance and lower CPU usage?

In Nebula's corresponding XML files (also the ZL, Reverb, and any others that you create through Nebula Setups) you can change the DSP Buffer. Changing the DSP Buffer will increase latency and greatly lower the CPU usage. You can also do this in the MAST page of Nebula (the MAST button is along the bottom of the "LCD Screen" of Nebula). Click MAST, move the parameter that says "Simple" to "Guru", and increase the DSP Buffer there. For reference, I usually have mine at 4096 or 8192. TONS of latency, but TONS of processing potential :mrgreen:

AMIELMIX wrote:Thanks!

No problem buddy! Hope this info helps, and the responses from everyone else will definitely help as well ;) Stay curious about Nebula and I can guarantee that it will help your sound in ways you have yet to understand! Happy New Year 8-)
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby AMIELMIX » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:00 am

Thank you guys!! will keep you posted, but please do not kill me with my questions! :P

Yes I am using a SDD HD for my MacOS… so seems that is OK if I keep there my Nebula Libraries right??
AMIELMIX
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby RE301 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:08 am

AMIELMIX wrote:
Yes I am using a SDD HD for my MacOS… so seems that is OK if I keep there my Nebula Libraries right?

Yes its no problem to have the libraries on the same partition / drive as OS X ..

If you need or want to move them to another disc due to space etc then there is this instruction:

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic
RE301

Postby mixmonkey » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:25 pm

Without wanting to rain on anyones parade, Nebula Setups won't be a lot of use to you in Pro Tools unless you're prepared to use a wrapper like BC Patchwork, DDMF or Nyrv Agent.

This is because Nebula Setups creates a new Nebula Plug In for each Setup. Unfortunately, Avid AAX plug ins are all code signed, making the creation of AAX setups impossible. This is why (I guess) that Nebula Setups only creates VST and AU plugins and this it does very well.

If I am mistaken in any of the above, please correct me.
mixmonkey
User Level III
User Level III

Next

Return to Working with Nebula