Login

Number of instances in reaper

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Number of instances in reaper

Postby Naadyog » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:33 am

Hi,
I'm exploring Nebula with Reaper in the moment,
and hit a wall quite early,
around 10-12 instances of Nebula, and then Reaper crashes.
At that time I'm running at max. about 10% cpu and ram load,
so there should be a lot more possible.
A typical chain I'm running would be
mic, preamp/console, all bands of an eq,
tapebooster and tape.
Then I can load a few more instances before the crash.

Any idea what could resolve this?

Newest Reaper, 5.11
Newest nebula server,
Win 7 64bit
Intel i7 2670qm
2.2Ghz octacore
8Gb ram
Naadyog
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Number of instances in reaper

Postby Mercado_Negro » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:09 pm

There are a few things you should consider:

1) The CPU load should be measured in the Task Manager not within REAPER, especially for Nebula and/or Acquas because they don't report the correct load to the host for technical reasons.

2) Loading several instances with lots of kernels (most mics, consoles, preamps and tapes use 11 kernels) in a track uses more CPU resources than using only a few on several tracks because individual tracks aren't multithreaded so you'll be taxing one specific core more than the rest.

10-12 instances seem right to me with your configuration and workflow.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby beingmf3 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:42 pm

Highly dependant on buffer size in Reaper as well as in Nebula. I can load tons of average Nebula programs on my oldish i7 920 / 12GB RAM. My basic settings are 1024 in Nebula as well as in Reaper - but even when I forget to switch back from 128smp, I usually can run 15 or 20 instances easily.
beingmf3

Postby Support » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:51 pm

How to optimize your computer for Nebula products
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28941

Measure Nebula CPU load and consumption
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=28939
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby namooz » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:27 pm

This may not do anything different for you, but on my Mac I ran into problems with the latest version of Reaper with Nebula plugins not appearing right visually. There were some other issues, but I immediately switched back to the older version (latest last release). I never took it to the point of maxing out the plug in count but going to V5.01 may be worth a try. There are several possibilities, and unfortunately, many may have to be tried before a solution is reached. You are absolutely right, you should be getting many more instances. Best of luck to you.
namooz
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby giancarlo » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:42 pm

Also check 32 vs 64
We can open 54 navy instances in reaper and even more instances for honey (70-80) using a MacBook notebook. Nebula can be less cpu intensive, depending an what you are using. Normally if you open the init preset you should open more than 110 instances using an old i7 2011 desktop.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Support » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:01 pm

namooz wrote:This may not do anything different for you, but on my Mac I ran into problems with the latest version of Reaper with Nebula plugins not appearing right visually. There were some other issues, but I immediately switched back to the older version (latest last release). I never took it to the point of maxing out the plug in count but going to V5.01 may be worth a try. There are several possibilities, and unfortunately, many may have to be tried before a solution is reached. You are absolutely right, you should be getting many more instances. Best of luck to you.

Reaper 5.11 32 and 64 bits OSX and Windows version working here without any UI issue in Windows 8.1 and OSX 10.10.5. Seems to be an issue in your side.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby namooz » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:29 am

I don't know what I was thinking, but Nebula WAS ok :o , it was some other algorithm plugins that I had issues with (everything now is done with Nebula and hardware exclusively), but there were other prob's on my system unrelated to Nebula and I can't allow even one that effects performance of course, so I went back to the earlier version. I do know that it had to do with having to use AU instead of VST….. (it's been several weeks so the other details have faded). So I am very sorry for the mix up on my part :roll: . Just worn out, maybe……suffering from "part timers".
namooz
User Level VI
User Level VI

Return to Working with Nebula