Login

Extremley loud spikes and Daw crashes

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Extremley loud spikes and Daw crashes

Postby THAPRODUCERZ » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:15 pm

ok, im really trying to dig into Nebula3 now but im finding my self walkin a tightrope when it comes to adjusting parameters.

For instances, i had the angel high eq on a snare channel with about 6 DB boost in the 10k-20k range, i went to go lower the DBs to a negative number and the plugin just crashed with a loud spike, froze up my DAW completely and now i have lost some work i was doing on a project, sigh. :(

Its not the first time it has happened, im just curious if this is normal behavior or is their some tweaking i should be doing to avoid such things.

Also at times, and i get that we are using floating point audio here where there is no theoretical audio ceiling, but there are times when a track volume spikes as a result of some effect change or bypass and a corresponding nebula plugin, say a console preset on the master gets hit with this loud volume spike and it almost kills my speakers/headphones and ears, very dangerous! :shock:

Is there not any way to implement a clipper within the nebula plugin or perhaps an :idea: auto-mute function (reaper comes to mind) that can be optionally turned of or on at will to prevent possible damage to expensive speakers? :?

just a concerned customer. :|
ITB: i7-4770 3.4ghz, 32GB Ram, Windows 10, Nebula 3 Server Ultimate,Protools 11, Cubase LE 8, Reaper 4, Flstudio 12, Komplete 10 ultimate,i also have a need for authentic analog tone

http://www.yishinyourear.com
THAPRODUCERZ
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Extremley loud spikes and Daw crashes

Postby flipnaut » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:24 pm

in studio one for example i hit nebula instances @ -12 db. Because i feed also my hardware @ -12. Nebula works best @ -12... as soon you feed it with too much audio you get extremly loud spikes. This is not slate plugins where the needle hits unreal at +6db :D

When you use nebula: Think it is hardware!
Monitors:PSI A21m, System: Presonus Studio One Pro V3, Intel i7 4790k. Plugins: Pink2412, Amethyst2,Navy, Honey, Scarlet3, Ochre, Magenta3, Titanium, Blue, EQp1, Silk. HW: AML EZ1073, Ap*550a, Chandle* LD Comp, Tape 542. Visit me on: http://audiopaw.de/
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:26 pm

hmmm ... doubt the crash considered normal.

There used to be a 'AutoMute' setting in the Nebula XML file. Now I can't seem to find it :roll:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RE301 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:41 pm

Sounds like some kind of bug / problem
RE301

Postby THAPRODUCERZ » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:54 pm

i will try to repeat this in the other DAWS to see if its a specific one or the plugin itself.

an automute would be a life saver though

with analog equipment, volume spikes would not react like this, and since this is hardware emulation why should there be volumes allowed past 0dbfs, -12 - -18 being nominal 0dbs the plug should start to distort and clip once you reach this threshold, akin to analog. No?
ITB: i7-4770 3.4ghz, 32GB Ram, Windows 10, Nebula 3 Server Ultimate,Protools 11, Cubase LE 8, Reaper 4, Flstudio 12, Komplete 10 ultimate,i also have a need for authentic analog tone

THAPRODUCERZ
User Level X
User Level X

Postby giancarlo » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:25 am

There is an audio protection which makes the plug sound instantly bad when you are in overloading
You can disable it though.
About the crash open a ticket
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby THAPRODUCERZ » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:39 am

Are the steps to disable this in the manual?

And what is the alternative once it's disabled?

I will open a ticket once I test it out on my other DAW programs.

It may be localized to the one specific program.

THAPRODUCERZ
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Support » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:17 am

Not confirmed.
Move to the correct forum section.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby Support » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:19 am

THAPRODUCERZ wrote:ok, im really trying to dig into Nebula3 now but im finding my self walkin a tightrope when it comes to adjusting parameters.

For instances, i had the angel high eq on a snare channel with about 6 DB boost in the 10k-20k range, i went to go lower the DBs to a negative number and the plugin just crashed with a loud spike, froze up my DAW completely and now i have lost some work i was doing on a project, sigh. :(

Its not the first time it has happened, im just curious if this is normal behavior or is their some tweaking i should be doing to avoid such things.

Also at times, and i get that we are using floating point audio here where there is no theoretical audio ceiling, but there are times when a track volume spikes as a result of some effect change or bypass and a corresponding nebula plugin, say a console preset on the master gets hit with this loud volume spike and it almost kills my speakers/headphones and ears, very dangerous! :shock:

Is there not any way to implement a clipper within the nebula plugin or perhaps an :idea: auto-mute function (reaper comes to mind) that can be optionally turned of or on at will to prevent possible damage to expensive speakers? :?

just a concerned customer. :|

Read this first: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=484
Then read this: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28859
Then, submit a support ticket with the detailed information in order your wired behavior can be reproduced.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:51 am

THAPRODUCERZ wrote:Are the steps to disable this in the manual?

And what is the alternative once it's disabled?

I will open a ticket once I test it out on my other DAW programs.

It may be localized to the one specific program.

protectiondb tag in nebula xml
For several acqua plugin it is settled to 200 - it means 200dB before the audio protection is engaged. Normally it is few dB
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Next

Return to Working with Nebula