Login

Ok, i have a big problem with Choice of Plugins...

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Ok, i have a big problem with Choice of Plugins...

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:49 am

Haha did i really quote my self :lol:
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby basaristudios@gmail.com » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:50 am

jfjer379@gmail.com wrote:Haha did i really quote my self :lol:

Its ok...happens...its 3 in the morning here...i am just smoking
and looking at my folders with Effects and Synths...this is so bad.
I hate it.
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.
basaristudios@gmail.com
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby basaristudios@gmail.com » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:51 am

And after all this talk...now i have my eye on Flucti - Mew. God help me.
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.
basaristudios@gmail.com
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:59 am

basaristudios@gmail.com wrote:JFer you just raised another good point. A lot of time + a lot
of plugins = no music done. Time is like this, i wake up, make
coffee and smoke 5 cigarettes...and watch some news. Then sit
down read forums for 3 hours...then lunch...then smoke again...
then open the DAW and start going thru Synths. Find a Sound and
then start going thru FX...find an Effect and save the Project.
Go to sleep again...wake up again...same process all over.
The week after you find 10 saved project and you start opening.
They have no notes inside...just a Synth and an Effect...LOL.
I have to change from the roots up...something is wrong.

I have been there many times myself self my friend and many of us fall into that trap , plugins can really be a curse if you spend way to mush time with them, i did also loose much time in finding a vst piano i liked that blended pretty well with vocals without having to eq like crazy, but luckely i found one that fits for me and im sticking with it, i know there could be an even better one but i dont care as this hunting after the best all the time really stopped me from doing what i like even more than mixing and that is making music :)

I wish you the best , and if you fall into these traps again watch graham , Pensado or warren Huart on youtube or something they really put your mindset in the right place and its free :)

Cheers
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:01 am

basaristudios@gmail.com wrote:And after all this talk...now i have my eye on Flucti - Mew. God help me.

Just dont forget, plugins dont make music, you do :)
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby NoNameComesInMind » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:37 pm

well, i can only give you my point of view and experience but most is already stated.

i'd start with the algo ones since a computer is stable and there's total recall, that way you can do the same procedure over and over till' you'll notice what it does on different sources,

it's easy to get stuck with plugins, but try some of the most famous emulations to begin and learn why they are famous (N**v,AP*,S*L etc) - start some basic projects and experiment with them on different sources, after a while you'd recognize that you start using the same one for different sources more frequently, and one and another starts too fall out of grace, keep the ones you use frequently.

a mix is often 90% levels, if you got a good source that is.

i for example was happy when my computer broke down, it allowed me for a clean start with the experience i've gathered so far and i carry only all my acustica licenses and a softsynth that is very clean and an algo Eq for that digital surgical approach the rest is stock vst.

i make very small adjustments, and i listen to the source carefully, (are you a rusher, or a dragger?)

Limit yourself from thinking about compression here and there, that only let's your left brains think about how much of goodness your arsenal is going to make and you'll be caught in the act by your right brains dampening of creative approach.

best,
EQualizer, Nebula, Coffee.
NoNameComesInMind

Postby dagovitsj » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:20 am

Hi!
Not sure if it's the classic writers block you're describing? From reading your post it seems like you are frustrated that you can't finish anything.

Usually I don't like to give advices, and I'm not going to tell you how to solve your problems. BUT, I can tell you about one very important experience I had about 10 years ago when I had bought a brand new PC, new monitors, Cubase updated etc. I had all the equipment, time to record, compose etc - but I just couldn't finish anything, I couldn't write songs, if I tried to record something - it sounded like crap.

At that time I was a guitar teacher, and one day one of my pupils wanted to learn to play "Hey Joe" by Jimi Hendrix. I decided to make a backing track to him, not just the guitar parts, but drums and bass - and that "saved" me! It was just so fun, I had a deadline, but no pressure at all - my pupil didn't know I was going to make him a backing track. And he was just so happy!

OK, so here is my advice (You knew I would give one!):
Record a backing track or do a cover of a song you like - just for fun! Play real instruments, if you can - get some maracas, bongo drums, shakers, guitar, ukulele - do some recordings with a SM58 or SM57, play and have fun. No pressure, just focus on experiencing different colors of sound etc. And make it groove!

Well, good luck - hope you find back to that initial joy and exitement you once had!
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:24 pm

[quote="dagovitsj"
OK, so here is my advice (You knew I would give one!):
Record a backing track or do a cover of a song you like - just for fun! Play real instruments, if you can - get some maracas, bongo drums, shakers, guitar, ukulele - do some recordings with a SM58 or SM57, play and have fun. No pressure, just focus on experiencing different colors of sound etc. And make it groove!

Well, good luck - hope you find back to that initial joy and exitement you once had![/quote]

that's a really good advice dagovitsj :)

SOME ADVICE FROM ME TOO :

you will learn much from doing some cover songs you like
because you can listen to the original versions if you can't make them groove

when i make new songs i use a little stereo recorder from roland, my voice and an acoustic guitar , if the song sounds great as a song and interesting with only one instrument and your voice you got yourself a song that you really can build on :)

try writing songs with different instruments too, because different tones in different instruments can many times give you great ideas just from the tone of that instrument

i have a bad sounding mandolin i wrote some songs on that was pretty good
and i suck at playing it so don't be afraid to explore with any instrument in songwriting :)

the other great thing about doing it this way
you are not gonna have that hi fi sound you want in the end and that's a very good thing
if you like the song itself with a just ok but not great sound
you are now already getting ideas in your head how you want it to sound and what instruments to use the whole picture is becoming much clearer really suddenly your head has lots of ideas for this song

Tom Petty and many many other great musicians are doing it this way too because it does works

the best songs i have written i did it this way with old school approach
the worst songs happens to me when i go right into record mode in logic trying to write a song and have no clear vision, because if i haven't a song in my head already, there is nothing to reflect on if that make any sense

im using a sm57 for vocals all the time even though i got much better mics if i wanted to use them, i think dynamic mics are very underrated as they can take a lot of eq and they tend to sit very easily in the mix from my experience

in studio recordings:
sm57(Steven Tyler) sm58(Bono) sm7b(AC/DC, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and Michael Jackson on Thriller) just to name a few
lots of rap artist is also using the sm7b, i got one of those too but still prefer sm57 hehe
good luck

Cheers
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby basaristudios@gmail.com » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:30 pm

Phewwwwww...i took a lot of stuff out...now, Aqua wise i am with
Magenta 3, Titanium, Navy and Murano. I cut some of the Libraries
too but still a lot left since i own almost all of them, lol.
Took out a lot of Synths too as far as Algos go i took more then
50 percent out. I feel an improvement right away, its easier to
actually make music. But there is still things left that a person
do not use, just want them there, wtf? Its crazy.
Maybe the only Option is to approach everything as 25 years ago.
You have 1 Console, 2-3 Compressors, 2-3 EQs and a Delay and a
Reverb Unit...plus you have your main Tape and Preamp...and you
actually make music instead of checking presets and reading manuals.LOL.
basaristudios@gmail.com
Vip Member
Vip Member

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula