Login

Nebula compressor to go along with Navy?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula compressor to go along with Navy?

Postby manuel.soruco » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:45 pm

So I´m on a quest to make my workflow/sound as analog as possible.

I have Nebula 3 and the tape libraries from R2R as well as AlexB´s VBC for the bus and master sections and I´m about to buy Navy for preamp sound/EQ.

My question is this: If i´m trying to emulate a high end studio with a 8014 as the centerpiece, what would my mixing compressors be?
For what I have read, the board had some compressors, but it wasn´t like the S*L 4K´s track compressors, but more like a bus compressors, especially since there seems to be like 4 or on a big mixer.
So if I´m trying to recreate the N**e sound as much as possible, how should compression be handled in mixing? You would just compress the essentials with outboard compressors (1176, LA-2A...etc) as well as the board´s 2254 comps for busses? Is it common in the N**e sound that you don´t compress/process each channel as much as with the S*L, which has compressors and even gate/expanders on each channel?
manuel.soruco
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Nebula compressor to go along with Navy?

Postby basaristudios@gmail.com » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:39 pm

OCD kicking in huh? I got it even worst then you...ugh, sucks. :D
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.
basaristudios@gmail.com
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby xabilon » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:48 pm

Hi.

You can update your VBC to Vintage Neev 14 :
http://www.alessandroboschi.eu/html/ale ... onsole.htm
I think there's a special price for VBC owners.
For the 2254 Comp, same place :
http://www.alessandroboschi.eu/html/ale ... namics.htm

IMO The N**e 8014 has compressors only on the 4 busses, no comp on tracks, but you can use inserts for external compression, or compress on tracking. That desk is from the early 70's, at that time I think compression was no so systematic (Alan Parsons often used no compression at all).

And in case you want to stay 100% true to a 8014, be aware that Navy EQ has different frequency choices and more bands/filters than a 1073.
xabilon
User Level III
User Level III

Postby manuel.soruco » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:12 am

Yes! I´m officially a Nebula OCD! :P

But actually my question wasn´t really to copy 100% all the nuances (althogh I want to get as close as possible without going nutz!) :P

My question was more about understanding the board and the sound, and you just confirmed what I was suspecting. That part of the N**e sound is that you don´t compress every track, which is probably one of the things that make it sound open.

The S*L sound however seems to be more tight and processed (I have heard about people that would shoot you if you use their studio´s 4k and not use the master bus compressor :P), which leads me to a bit of a problem, since I love compressing the heck out of everything but I also love the N**e sound... :oops:
manuel.soruco
User Level II
User Level II

Postby davidgary73 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:53 am

Hi manuel.soruco, you can check out N**e 2264, AlexB N64 compressor @ http://www.alessandroboschi.eu/html/ale ... namics.htm

The N**e 2254 n54 is also great to pair up with Navy.

Another must have is AlexB Modern Flagship libraries (N**e AMS 88RS).
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram •
Logic Pro X 10.2.4 • OSX 10.11.6 • VEP 6 •
Magenta 3 • Green 3 • Navy • Pink • Sand • Lime • Nebula3 Server Ultimate •
http://www.purevolume.com/DavidGary
davidgary73

Postby RJHollins » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:02 am

get as close as possible without going nutz!

And what's wrong with that ! :P

:lol:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby xabilon » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:56 am

manuel.soruco wrote:... I love compressing the heck out of everything but I also love the N**e sound... :oops:

You can use the 2254 on tracks, it does wonders for just everything : vocals, bass, guitars, keyboards, strings...

You can also use the Cupwise Smooth 609A (N**e 33609) on busses and master bus :
http://www.cupwise.com/fx/shop/smooth-609a-buscomp/
Cleaner than the 2254, but an excellent bus compressor.

And use some external compression (1176, LA2A, D*x...) on some tracks.
xabilon
User Level III
User Level III

Postby botus99 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:23 pm

manuel.soruco wrote:Yes! I´m officially a Nebula OCD! :P

...I want to get as close as possible without going nutz!) :P

...I love compressing the heck out of everything but I also love the N**e sound... :oops:

Just give in and go nuts. You're only delaying the inevitable otherwise :lol:

Why not both!? It's very common to track on a N**e and mix on an S*L. So, you could put Navy/AlexB's N series on first, and throw S*L stuff on after that. I love doing this, because you get the sweet, earthy fatness from the N stuff, and the punchy clear sound from S*L stuff. :P
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula