Login

New (used) Mac suggestion for Nebula?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

New (used) Mac suggestion for Nebula?

Postby RE301 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:26 pm

What would you people of Nebula wisdom suggest as a reasonable used option / type (desktop) to consider for Mac users to enhance the Nebula experience? I am hitting the wall with my 2011 MBP laptop system....

I am never going to have 100's of Nebula instances active at once & rendering tracks for me is not really a problem since I got used to committing back in the day with 8 & 16 track tape ...

What I would like to have going on though is using the reverbs in real time mixing, and hopefully offload some of the reverb demands via CUDA to a GPU... :-0

I am anticipating a possible future Nebula 4 release may lighten CPU demands (?)..

Though its obvious PC's offer far more power for the $ - It has to be Mac / Apple for me since I've been using them since the late 70's and cannot wrap my head around PC..(to be clear: its not that I particularly like Apple as a company or have anything invested in a Mac vs PC debate)...

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts on the subject!
RE301

Re: New (used) Mac suggestion for Nebula?

Postby RE301 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:10 pm

What kind of set up are you Mac users here
experiencing joy with?
RE301

Postby enriquesilveti » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:21 pm

RE301 wrote:What would you people of Nebula wisdom suggest as a reasonable used option / type (desktop) to consider for Mac users to enhance the Nebula experience? I am hitting the wall with my 2011 MBP laptop system....

I am never going to have 100's of Nebula instances active at once & rendering tracks for me is not really a problem since I got used to committing back in the day with 8 & 16 track tape ...

What I would like to have going on though is using the reverbs in real time mixing, and hopefully offload some of the reverb demands via CUDA to a GPU... :-0

I am anticipating a possible future Nebula 4 release may lighten CPU demands (?)..

Though its obvious PC's offer far more power for the $ - It has to be Mac / Apple for me since I've been using them since the late 70's and cannot wrap my head around PC..(to be clear: its not that I particularly like Apple as a company or have anything invested in a Mac vs PC debate)...

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts on the subject!

http://www.hispasonic.com/anuncios/pc-d ... -v2/457776
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:31 pm

You need at least an i5/i7 quad 4 gen intel cpu or newer to take full advantage of core6 and 7
Maybe a duo will work to( don't recommend it )
but I recommend an i7 quad haswell as a minimum and the faster the cpu runs the better :)

I have i7 quad Mac late 2012 2,2 Ghz , its usable as long as i use the aquas and nebulas where it counts but it does not take full advantage of the new upgrades core6/7 by acustica cpu vice since its only a 3rd gen cpu
so if i had an cpu with same specs but at least 4 gen or later cpu i would be able to run more instances

Hope that helps a little
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby RE301 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:32 pm

Thanks for the replies & feedback guys! :-)

Indeed I am wondering if I can get good value for the $ with a used desktop and maybe put in a suped up 2cnd hand graphics card to utilize CUDA...it seems reverbs are the main bottleneck that bring my current system to a standstill.... or perhaps some hybrid 'frankensystem' using Nebula server to offload processing duties, just to squeeze out enough performance to render & ,most importantly for me, mix in real time using one or (miracle of miracles) more reverb instances...

(Update having read through Nebula tip #49 again:
"NOTE: Server computer should x4 powerful than your client computer. Please avoid legacy or old computers as a server. ")

@ Enrique - that custom windows system on offer looks nice indeed, yet I think my mind might experience a 'kernel panic' if I make the move from a OSX system :-0
RE301

Postby enriquesilveti » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:58 am

Black Magic v2 was the second complete racked computer system build by me. Intel mainboard was the only one that meet my requirement: mSATA SATAv3, FW 400/800 supporting RME FW interfaces, dual 1Gb NIC, Thunderbolt, HDMI supporting 1080x1920, etc.

About how to live outside OSX world, virtualization, VM player free for Windows as a simple example.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula