Login

A Nebula Channel Strip with Nyrv Agent?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: A Nebula Channel Strip with Nyrv Agent?

Postby dpclarkson » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:33 pm

Does Nyrv Agent display values correctly?
Some hosts only display parameters in percentages from 0-100,
I'd like to know if Nebula's parameter values are mirrored.
dpclarkson

Postby franky4fingers » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:55 pm

dpclarkson wrote:Does Nyrv Agent display values correctly?
Some hosts only display parameters in percentages from 0-100,
I'd like to know if Nebula's parameter values are mirrored.

In my experience within Reaper, it displayed the correct values most of the times: usually i had no problem with frequency, gain, threshold and parameters like these, while input and output gain (-inf to +6dB) were not correct, displaying a -inf to 0dB range (so the values are wrong).

In my case, i experienced a delay in the displayed values, showing the previous position instead of the actual one. Still not a big deal, until you want to use stepped knobs: then it becomes a mess, but you have the chance to write some values around the knob
franky4fingers
User Level II
User Level II

Postby dpclarkson » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:01 pm

Last night I got the chance to test Nyrv Agent on my new Mavericks installation (Mac Pro 2.1 hack! :mrgreen: ), so far so good. It displays the values correctly, same delay in the displayed values, so writing values could be a good starting point.
Studio One v2 crashes when removing Agent from an insert.
Could be a video-glitch; I have to upgrade my graphics card; still running the 7300GT that came with the Mac Pro.
Looking at the GTX660; is that a recommendation for the Mac Pro 2.1 to use with CUDA?
dpclarkson

Postby wagz » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:42 am

basaristudios@gmail.com wrote:Now i can confirm that:
A Tape open in Nebula which takes about 8% of CPU power open in Cubase directly
and the same Tape open in Nebula thru Agent takes about 1% of CPU power.
I tried on a smaller project of few tracks, hell the CPU consumption is way lower,
i am seriously talking about 25+% of less CPU consumption in Agent.
I hope this is a bug that Jeff will never ever be able to fix it.
It works same as any other plugin with no crashes and stuff.

I just came across this thread. So, I am trying to test this software that you all mentioned. I didn't know what it was, so I had to Google it and watch some videos. This plugin appears to let one chain many effects and come up with interesting things. However, what interested me about what you mentioned was that you said that Agent reduced your CPU consumption, somehow. So, this is my question to you is: What bit rate are you running your projects in? I have just downloaded the demo of Agent and when I load my 96khz Nebula libraries into Agent, I can see that Nebula is converting them to 44khz. So, I want to know if the same thing is happening in your projects. I am wondering whether or not this is why your CPU consumption is so low.

If your projects are being run @96 and Nebula is now down-sampling in Agent, I would like to know how to accomplish that. Anyone is welcome to answer this. Thank you for your time.
wagz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby wagz » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:50 am

Also, I should mention that I just figured out that even after I have loaded one of my instances of Nebula (which are 96khz program versions) into Agent, it will down-sample to 44khz in Cubase 8.5 Win 7 64.

I just found out that if I RELOAD the program I am using within the Nebula instance that is in the Agent slot, it will actual process at 96khz, instead of 44khz.

I plan to test this this to see how much CPU power this Agent plugin can save me. Ciao.
wagz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby wagz » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:10 am

Hmmm. After my "testing", I have concluded that this Agent plugin is very cool. I created a new 96khz Cubase project and loaded Superior Drummer (using the C&V SDX's default sounds) with multiple stereo outs, loaded a groove, and caused it to play back. On the first stereo bus in Cubase, I loaded Agent, filled in the seven slots on the Channel Strip side with my own various Nebula 64 Reverb instances made in Nebula setups 2 and listened to the playback in Cubase. Keep in mind that I had to reload each program on each instance of Nebula that was loaded in Agent to toggle them to process @ 96khz. The play back was stable in Cubase. The CPU hit was minimal, considering that I loaded two or three of the VNXT's longest reverb programs, a CDSM 1084 console input, and some compressors from Tim P. into Agent. So, I tried to duplicate the inserts by Ctrl+dragging Agent to another Superior Drummer (SD) output bus insert slot in Cubase. It took Cubase a little while, but after that, Agent loaded and I checked to see that the programs were processing at 96khz. They were; the sound was stable, too. So, I repeated the process of loading another copy of the Agent instance that I was using. It took a while, but it it worked. The playback sounded fine(no pops or glitches)and things seemed okay. I normally run Cubase with a pretty high buffer (1024)when mixing, so I am used to a little lag. Cubase was a little sluggish than normal, though. It wasn't the audio that seemed to have the issue. The program was less responsive when toggling the mixer and other windows. I think that I tried to open SD and Cubase kinda glitched out, graphically. Most of the symbols and buttons on Cubase's mixer disappeared. I closed the program out and re-opened it, reloading the project that I was just running. I noticed that Agent did not load the project will all seven slots filled, which is how I had saved it. It only load fives slots. Maybe that's because I am running the demo. Hmmm. Again, I let Cubase play a drum groove from SD. It was stable, with no hiccups in the video or the audio. The CPU hit was registering around fifteen to twenty percent. Things were operating smoothly. I even toggle the instances of Agent on and of at various points. Everything seemed fine. So, I tried to load a fourth instance of Agent. The CPU started going bananas (I was watching the meters). I definitely hit the wall. Cores 1,3,5,7,9, and 11 (dual hex core- Intel I7 X990 @ 3.47GHZ) were all spiking. The even cores seemed to be doing okay. Hmmm. I removed the fourth instance of Agent and things settled down. I toggled back and fourth, I think. Eventually, thing program froze up when I was doing something with the fourth instance of Agent, I think. Anyway, I forgot to save the project with only two or three instances of Agent loaded, I think. So, when I tried to load the most recent Cubase backup file... nothing. I tried to load it again a few times, but I got bored with all of this stuff.

CONCLUSION: I think Agent is pretty cool. It seems to allow me to push Cubase much further than I can normally push it. When I was mixing a 24/96 khz track in Cubase yesterday and the one before, I had to get rid of the (maybe seven?)instances of Nebula that I had running because the project was unstable. Cubase was sputtering and glitching all over until I did that. The CPU meter seemed okay, but then I would get sudden bursts of white noise from Nebula-processed tracks. So, when testing Agent, I immediately noticed the improvement in the stability of Cubase. Agent is pretty cool. I have five more days to demo it. So far, it shows some nice potential. Very nice.

Oh yeah. I managed to take this screen shot of the project as it was playing. Firefox is running in the background because I had to learn how to take a screen shot.

Thanks for the heads-up on the software. Sorry to ramble on. :geek:
Attachments
wagz Nebula3 Pro 64 Cubase 8.5 64 Win 64 7 Agent 1.JPG
The screenshot. That' a LOT of VERB!
wagz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby davidgary73 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:46 am

WOW..my jaw just dropped. Full Gyrator EQ lo, mid and hi band with Sum100a comp + pre only took 10% CPU with Nyrv. Without Nyrv, crazy CPU spikes in Logic X.

I wonder if the upcoming Neb 4 can do better than Nyrv..
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram •
Logic Pro X 10.2.4 • OSX 10.11.6 • VEP 6 •
Magenta 3 • Green 3 • Navy • Pink • Sand • Lime • Nebula3 Server Ultimate •
http://www.purevolume.com/DavidGary
davidgary73

Postby enriquesilveti » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:31 pm

davidgary73 wrote:WOW..my jaw just dropped. Full Gyrator EQ lo, mid and hi band with Sum100a comp + pre only took 10% CPU with Nyrv. Without Nyrv, crazy CPU spikes in Logic X.

Reason is quite simple. You are using a mini host that not use multithread to comunícate with the host but support Nebula multithread but you still measure with the incorrect tool and as result you reach erroneous conclusions.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:53 pm

This is the tool :)
i have tried it 3-4 days now and finally using nebula eq`s is awesome¨
now i really dont know what im gonna use nebula4 for
since neb4 its claimed to load current neb libs painfully slow and bring CPU and ram to its knees with many instances

its very strange to me that nebula4 will do a much much worse job than Nyrv Agent using several instances
because Nyrv Agent loads fast and it is not adding any cpu or ram problems

only quirk in logic is that when i bypass N Agent it adds latency, the workaround is too push stop/play and latency is gone

in Reaper on mac Nyrv Agent works perfect with no quirks so far, this tool is awesome :D
and now i really dont know why i would want nebula4 at all

please enlighten me Acustica what Neb4 can do
that Nyrv agent cant

Cheers
Last edited by jfjer379@gmail.com on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby davidgary73 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:54 pm

enriquesilveti wrote:
davidgary73 wrote:WOW..my jaw just dropped. Full Gyrator EQ lo, mid and hi band with Sum100a comp + pre only took 10% CPU with Nyrv. Without Nyrv, crazy CPU spikes in Logic X.

Reason is quite simple. You are using a mini host that not use multithread to comunícate with the host but support Nebula multithread but you still measure with the incorrect tool and as result you reach erroneous conclusions.

I'm using VEP5. So VEP5 is showing me errors on CPU usage?
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram •
Logic Pro X 10.2.4 • OSX 10.11.6 • VEP 6 •
Magenta 3 • Green 3 • Navy • Pink • Sand • Lime • Nebula3 Server Ultimate •
http://www.purevolume.com/DavidGary
davidgary73

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula