Login

nebula3 pro vs nebula3 server

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

nebula3 pro vs nebula3 server

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:55 pm

is nebula3 pro really weak compared to the server edition
my mac mini i7 late 2012 is almost exploding after two instances of Gene Lennon reverbs on neb3 pro hehe

im running LPX in 44,1

is it something i could do in the neb3pro reverb version xml file to improve performance ?

thanks for answers in advance :)

cheers
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Re: nebula3 pro vs nebula3 server

Postby botus99 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:59 am

Try raising the DSPBUFFER to 2048, 4096, or 8192 (located in your Nebula's XML file, same folder as the plugin itself). More latency, less CPU.

Also, c'mon 45mins is too long for an answer before you start spamming other threads? Learn some patience buddy :lol:

EDIT: I'm sorry, not trying to come off as rude. Have you run other reverbs in Nebula more efficiently? Actually, this may be a problem with the library itself and not Nebula. I don't have GH's libraries unfortunately, so I can't really say.

Do remember that reverbs in general tend to eat up CPU the most (compared to say, compressors). In my experience, this is true in Nebula too.
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:08 am

yep , i did not have a problem at all with vnxt plate 140 , but raising dsp buffer in mast solved the problem :)

still im curious how mush more power the server edition got compared to nebula3 pro hehe :)
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:23 am

botus99 wrote:
Also, c'mon 45mins is too long for an answer before you start spamming other threads? Learn some patience buddy :lol:

i did not know where i would get the quickest answer before an answer came hehe
i did at least say sorry in the neb4 thread for being off topic

yep today i had no patience and was desperate for some help. 45 mins was way to long waiting after not getting the Ochre and my mac almost melted because of those reverbs :lol:
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby botus99 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:36 am

Good to hear that helped. How much performance is gained from Nebula Server? I'm not sure unfortunately.
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:08 am

i asked the question to the acustica support yesterday
i wanted to know what gain in performance i would get if i upgraded nebula3 pro to the server edition

here is the answer from Acustica :

it will depends on a lot of factors. Nebula3 Server is CORE6 ready and will be also CORE7 ready. Nebula3 Server has RAM sharing feature and you will save RAM but not CPU if you don't have Intel i7/i5 generation 4/5. CORE7 will add new CPU optimizations for lasted Intel's CPUs

i dont seeing that this depends on a lot of factors, the only factor i see is what cpu you have

since i got a mac mini late 2012 i7 ivy bridge 3rd generation
it seems there is not mush to gain from upgrading actually,
i have still not had a ram problem and core 7 will not gain any power optimisation either sadly
as explained you have to have latest intel cpu`s to gain something from core7

is a little disappointing news that an almost 3 years old computer which im not considering as very old already is outdated for core7(and even core 6 when it comes to nebula) but what to do, i cant move away from my LPX so i have to stick to my mac

i really dont hope this apply to the aquas to but i have a suspicion it does
im gonna ask them the same question on the aquas to

i really dont have the funds to buy a new mac every two years hehe
And Apple really wrecked the latest mac minis with not offering an quad on they're latest Mac mini line, what a shame
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby flipnaut » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:58 am

the problem with mac always is and was that they are too expensive in comparison to the power you get from a windowsn pc with the same money. Also upgrades in a normal windows computer are many times easier and cheaper. I recently bought a i7 4890k with 4.000 Mhz and a new mainboard and my new computer was finished.

Go and get rid of mac in the next months and try to get a workstation computer... Of course there is a hype around mac and it is said they would sound better with music... but that is of course bullshit:) Some years ago i wanted also a mac mini but i figured out that it makes no sence to pay so much money for crap...

Windows 10 is so good OS... there is no reason for OSx in my point of view.

Of course all mac user now will cry and they will stone me :lol: :D
Monitors:PSI A21m, System: Presonus Studio One Pro V3, Intel i7 4790k. Plugins: Pink2412, Amethyst2,Navy, Honey, Scarlet3, Ochre, Magenta3, Titanium, Blue, EQp1, Silk. HW: AML EZ1073, Ap*550a, Chandle* LD Comp, Tape 542. Visit me on: http://audiopaw.de/
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:25 pm

i agree on macs being to expensive but thats not the point.

a lot of people dont know it seems that you must have a 4/5 gen cpu to take advantage of nebula 3 server core6 and core7
so many buy the server in good faith that they can run mush more nebulas on it compared to neb3 pro
and personally i cant move away from Logic Pro X.
that is my preferred daw
i have tried most daws out there but i always go back to LPX

i have nothing against pc`s as i own a couple of them
and im very aware of pc`s is just as good a music computer
a wave file is a wave file or whatever format the daw use :lol:

maby its cheap for you going out and upgrade your computer ,
but some with an older pc quad that is still powerful with for example sandy bridge or ivy bridge have to change their main board , ram, and cpu , thats not super cheap , not if you're going for some of the fastest cpu`s

i plan to build my self a powerful hackintosh at a later time when i got the cash

im not blaming Acustica for using 4/5 gen cpu`s for core6 and 7 im sure there is a very good reason for it

i just dont know why this is not common knowledge
it should be very clear in the description when you buy for example neb server that you need at least a 4/5 gen cpu to take full advantage of core 6 and the upcoming core 7 , thats my point :)
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula