Login

CUDA, is it worth?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

CUDA, is it worth?

Postby aatigre » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:53 pm

I was reading about using CUDA to increase computer power. It seems to be a little complicated but not to much so i was thinking about installing it.

I have some doubts because with my actual setup i dont know if it makes sense to do it.
1 - My graphic card is passive cooled so im a little afraid of toasting it! Neither i know if it would be powerful enough. It´s a GeForce GT 720. Its the 2Gb version.
2 - I have a I7 3820@3.60 Ghz. I guess its a little old and its not enough to work with Nebula fluently sometimes. Mostly its enough, specially if i take decisions early with NebulaMan, but as other Nebula users will probably say, some more computer power would be nice

So the question is:
Considering my setup, is CUDA worth?

many thanks!
Last edited by aatigre on Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aatigre
User Level III
User Level III

Re: CUDA, is it worth?

Postby jpn » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:25 pm

Only for Reverbs
jpn

Postby aatigre » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:03 am

Thanks jpn!
I just use one or two NEB reverb instances in each project so i think i wont install CUDA.
aatigre
User Level III
User Level III

Postby jorismak » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:59 am

Your cpu is nice and fine, and far from being old :).
My guess (but it's only a guess) is that the wee little gt720 won't do much in this case, since it's quite low on compute power. 2GB video-ram means nothing in this case.

I have a way older i7 @ 3.5ghz, and I tried the Cuda setup with a gtx 760 and a gtx770 and in both cases it _was_ faster, but only for _a single reverb_ instance and it wasn't even a 1.5x speed increase compared to the CPU.

There are a bit of rules to the Cuda usage which limits its usefulness (minimum kernel length, kernel type, even lengths in the kernels, etc..).

I'm sure that if you have a nice modern quadro card it will probably change the numbers :). And if you have one or two _long_ reverbs set up in busses which you route multiple stuff too, running those on Cuda can actually be a good thing to free up the CPU a bit more for other tasks in the DAW / Nebula.

But for EQ / Console / Compression stuff it doesn't do much, and I'm guessing your GT720 won't add much or anything at all to your quite powerful 3xxx core i7.
jorismak
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby aatigre » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:45 pm

thanks jorismak!
I chose the GT 720 because since its passive its totally quiet!
I couldnt expect it to be also powerful.
With my i7 i can use Nebula fine, using reverbs and everything.
Its just that sometimes it would be nice to have some extra power and i was curious about CUDA technology.
But since i dont have plans to upgrade my computer in a while, i think i'll stay withtout CUDA benefits.
aatigre
User Level III
User Level III

Return to Working with Nebula