Login

CUDA, is it worth?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

CUDA, is it worth?

Postby aatigre » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:53 pm

I was reading about using CUDA to increase computer power. It seems to be a little complicated but not to much so i was thinking about installing it.

I have some doubts because with my actual setup i dont know if it makes sense to do it.
1 - My graphic card is passive cooled so im a little afraid of toasting it! Neither i know if it would be powerful enough. It´s a GeForce GT 720. Its the 2Gb version.
2 - I have a I7 3820@3.60 Ghz. I guess its a little old and its not enough to work with Nebula fluently sometimes. Mostly its enough, specially if i take decisions early with NebulaMan, but as other Nebula users will probably say, some more computer power would be nice

So the question is:
Considering my setup, is CUDA worth?

many thanks!
Last edited by aatigre on Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aatigre
User Level II
User Level II

Re: CUDA, is it worth?

Postby jpn » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:25 pm

Only for Reverbs
jpn

Postby aatigre » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:03 am

Thanks jpn!
I just use one or two NEB reverb instances in each project so i think i wont install CUDA.
aatigre
User Level II
User Level II

Postby jorismak » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:59 am

Your cpu is nice and fine, and far from being old :).
My guess (but it's only a guess) is that the wee little gt720 won't do much in this case, since it's quite low on compute power. 2GB video-ram means nothing in this case.

I have a way older i7 @ 3.5ghz, and I tried the Cuda setup with a gtx 760 and a gtx770 and in both cases it _was_ faster, but only for _a single reverb_ instance and it wasn't even a 1.5x speed increase compared to the CPU.

There are a bit of rules to the Cuda usage which limits its usefulness (minimum kernel length, kernel type, even lengths in the kernels, etc..).

I'm sure that if you have a nice modern quadro card it will probably change the numbers :). And if you have one or two _long_ reverbs set up in busses which you route multiple stuff too, running those on Cuda can actually be a good thing to free up the CPU a bit more for other tasks in the DAW / Nebula.

But for EQ / Console / Compression stuff it doesn't do much, and I'm guessing your GT720 won't add much or anything at all to your quite powerful 3xxx core i7.
jorismak

Postby aatigre » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:45 pm

thanks jorismak!
I chose the GT 720 because since its passive its totally quiet!
I couldnt expect it to be also powerful.
With my i7 i can use Nebula fine, using reverbs and everything.
Its just that sometimes it would be nice to have some extra power and i was curious about CUDA technology.
But since i dont have plans to upgrade my computer in a while, i think i'll stay withtout CUDA benefits.
aatigre
User Level II
User Level II

Return to Working with Nebula