Login

Straight talk - Chandly Vs OPTO 3a + more

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Straight talk - Chandly Vs OPTO 3a + more

Postby darren » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:24 pm

May I begin by saying that yes, I understand that the units are quite different so a 1 to 1 compare is not the thing to do.

The thing that interests me is not really limited to these two libraries - I'm wondering about the 'effectiveness' of the dynamic processors on offer. I've been with Nebula for a long time now and, as we're all aware, the nitty-gritty of compression has not been it's strength generally.

So now it seems we're entering a new phase with Nebula - it's evolving and so are the libs being offered.

I'm not a rich man so can't afford to just buy it all and then discard the ones that don't offer the finest performance.

So I'm asking a gracious question;
To anyone out there who has purchased the very latest offerings from CDS, TP, Alexb etc .. what do you feel is giving you that feeling of hardware the best? Are we generally seeing libs being very close to the hardware or are there still some out there that have done a better job of capturing, presenting the characteristics with greater fidelity?

I'm not here to encourage a 'your mileage may vary' kind of conversation - but specifically to ask about personal journeys with Nebula dynamics in the face of this 'new wave'.

Peace.
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Straight talk - Chandly Vs OPTO 3a + more

Postby doubtingtom37 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:02 pm

Hmmmmm ... was hoping to see some meaningful Replies :(

Thom B
doubtingtom37
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby RJHollins » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:03 am

Hi Darren,

I'm in the process of setting up after a major move, so, many of the new libraries I've purchased have only had minimal listens.

If your asking strictly, Nebula ... I can speak directly to the latest version 2 releases from AlexB. In a word .... they are spectacular. The A-P-I series has gotten the more airplay, particularly the console and 5500 EQ. The dynamics lib I've really only used it as an inline insert because of the great tone/vibe it added to a project I mastered.

Does it 'capture' the hardware vibe ?!? Well, honestly, I was not much of an A-P-I guy. The few times I had access to the console [for tracking], it seemed to have issues. [needed repairs].

The AlexB release totally changed my perspective. I now better understand why they were sought out. With these v2 releases, AlexB has taken them to a new level of excellence. On top of that, the 2 sample rates provided compliment the way he has organized his libraries. Concise and complete with just the right amount of presets and options [clean, light, full blown]. Just well done all around. 8-)

Hope this helps start the thread.

Back to UN-packing :roll:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:42 pm

Your mileage may....oops.
But truthfully, that is about the best answer I can offer. I think all (or most) of the recent offerings indeed capture both the "vibe" and behavior of the hardware. And the few that maybe don't, they do so either because the dev intentionally expanded the software to go beyond the hardware, or it does not represent the hardware because the dev (again, intentionally) improved something that they decided could be improved upon. But the "YMMV" response is unfortunately appropriate because Nebula libraries, for my work as an example, have been perfect long before the current updates. I rarely need nuclear squashing compression, and if I did, I have enough solutions for that anyway. So my point is that it may depend on your needs.
It also depends on your own tastes. It's like if you asked me:
"What's the best ice cream?"
I'd say "Chocolate, of course!", and you may hate chocolate (I may never talk to you again if that is actually the case.....har har).
But there are so many really nice, 'authentic", and even revolutionary options with nebula and Acqua tools. My biggest suggestion is not to buy them all, but to instead buy one or two, get to know them, and put them to work for you. In my opinion, you can't go wrong, you will have some very good and useful tools no matter what you get these days (in nebula/Acqua technology...)
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:15 pm

Let us be clear ....

Chocolate IS the best Ice Cream :!:

everything else is a matter of taste :lol:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby beingmf3 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:57 pm

DARK chocolate without a doubt!
beingmf3

Postby jpn » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:08 pm

Humm ... Compressed Dark Chocolate Ice cream Sounds good :D
jpn

Postby darren » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:53 pm

RJHollins wrote:The AlexB release totally changed my perspective. I now better understand why they were sought out. With these v2 releases, AlexB has taken them to a new level of excellence. On top of that, the 2 sample rates provided compliment the way he has organized his libraries. Concise and complete with just the right amount of presets and options [clean, light, full blown]. Just well done all around. 8-)

Back to UN-packing :roll:

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I hope you are settling in nicely, I have also just moved home and started a new job - hence the very late reply here!

Could you perhaps talk a little about what improvements you feel have been made in these v2 releases? I'm very interested not just in the direct answer to that, but also in the characteristic areas that you are identifying as 'qualities' of these libraries, qualities that you can hear have been refined now. It's all very 'feely' I know, which is why attempting to talk about those things in plain terms would be extremely useful I think.
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Postby darren » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:06 pm

richie43 wrote:Your mileage may....oops.
But truthfully, that is about the best answer I can offer.
I'd say "Chocolate, of course!", and you may hate chocolate (I may never talk to you again if that is actually the case.....har har).
But there are so many really nice, 'authentic", and even revolutionary options with nebula and Acqua tools. My biggest suggestion is not to buy them all, but to instead buy one or two, get to know them, and put them to work for you. In my opinion, you can't go wrong, you will have some very good and useful tools no matter what you get these days (in nebula/Acqua technology...)

Hi Richie,
I do appreciate that it is very dependant on taste , I think I will try a slightly different question and see if it helps to grease the groove here a bit;

With the v2 libraries and other enabling developments with the nebula engine, do you feel that there have been some changes in the way the libraries sound, or otherwise behave? Is there a library that you are particularly familiar with whose qualities, in relation to the audio material they are being applied to, you could identify and describe to me? And if so, have their been any evolutionary changes as a result of v2's and engine updates that you could characterise?

All very interesting stuff for me and would love to hear your personal thoughts or notions.

To be clear though, I'm sold on nebula and the value of its wealth of excellent libraries. I don't seek encouragement or guidance so much, more want to hear how various updates and improvements have impacted your personal experience.. Because it's fascinating.
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Return to Working with Nebula