Login

Nebula causing lout crackling, stuttering Playback etc.

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula causing lout crackling, stuttering Playback etc.

Postby alba63 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi,
I am having this issue on a regular basis (Win 7/ 64bit, 4 x 3,50 GHz i5 processor, SSD, 8GB of RAM): Although the cpu load in Ableton is under 40%, suddenly the output of a particular Nebula instance ist starting to output a very (!) loud crackling (if this is an english word), and output is stuttering fast between silent an very loud (visible on the output level display).

Questions:
- who knows this as well,
- what could cause the issue
- how to best help it

Thanks!
alba63
User Level I
User Level I
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: Nebula causing lout crackling, stuttering Playback etc.

Postby TranscendingMusic » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:51 pm

alba63 wrote:Hi,
I am having this issue on a regular basis (Win 7/ 64bit, 4 x 3,50 GHz i5 processor, SSD, 8GB of RAM): Although the cpu load in Ableton is under 40%, suddenly the output of a particular Nebula instance ist starting to output a very (!) loud crackling (if this is an english word), and output is stuttering fast between silent an very loud (visible on the output level display).

Questions:
- who knows this as well,
- what could cause the issue
- how to best help it

Thanks!


By any chance, is your buffer settings of your daw set very low?
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
User avatar
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:01 am
Location: USA

Re: Nebula causing lout crackling, stuttering Playback etc.

Postby alba63 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:00 pm

Well, 64 samples - true, that might be a bit low for demanding plugins like this. Will try out 128 samples.
alba63
User Level I
User Level I
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: Nebula causing lout crackling, stuttering Playback etc.

Postby Support » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:23 pm

alba63 wrote:Hi,
I am having this issue on a regular basis (Win 7/ 64bit, 4 x 3,50 GHz i5 processor, SSD, 8GB of RAM): Although the cpu load in Ableton is under 40%, suddenly the output of a particular Nebula instance ist starting to output a very (!) loud crackling (if this is an english word), and output is stuttering fast between silent an very loud (visible on the output level display).

Questions:
- who knows this as well,
- what could cause the issue
- how to best help it

Thanks!


Try from current value, +100% and -100%, latency values in Nebula and ASIO to find the best setting for your current CPU.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
User avatar
Support
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2884
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:33 am
Location: Lodi, Lombardia, Italy.

Re: Nebula causing lout crackling, stuttering Playback etc.

Postby TranscendingMusic » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:52 pm

Yes, I have found that a buffer setting of equal or more value tends to work more smoothly. Take the standard 512 setting of Nebula or Acqua for example. A setting in my daw of 512 or higher yields smoother results.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
User avatar
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:01 am
Location: USA

Re: Nebula causing lout crackling, stuttering Playback etc.

Postby jorismak » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:12 pm

and I don't know how Ableton works with it, but a DAW saying the cpu usage is 40% doesn't mean a lot. You don't know how it is distributed across the cores, and more importantly, if the track with Nebula on it can be distributed nicely (Nebula itself has multi-core support of course, but if your DAW is hogging a lot of cores or something, it's very possible that a plugin - nebula or something else - might not get enough access to a single core to do it's thing).

A DAW project - and a single plugin instance - is never truely 100% spread out across multiple cores, so one core always get hits more than others in practice. If that core is maxed, your CPU isn't yet 100% maxed out but you ARE actually out of cpu power in the project.

Most (modern) DAWs can spread the load from multiple tracks easy across multiple cores. If you try to create a single track with a lot of plugins (16 for example) it might struggle, while 16 tracks with just one plugin on every track might run very well.
jorismak
Member
Member
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:49 am

Re: Nebula causing lout crackling, stuttering Playback etc.

Postby Support » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:51 am

jorismak wrote:and I don't know how Ableton works with it, but a DAW saying the cpu usage is 40% doesn't mean a lot. You don't know how it is distributed across the cores, and more importantly, if the track with Nebula on it can be distributed nicely (Nebula itself has multi-core support of course, but if your DAW is hogging a lot of cores or something, it's very possible that a plugin - nebula or something else - might not get enough access to a single core to do it's thing).

A DAW project - and a single plugin instance - is never truely 100% spread out across multiple cores, so one core always get hits more than others in practice. If that core is maxed, your CPU isn't yet 100% maxed out but you ARE actually out of cpu power in the project.

Most (modern) DAWs can spread the load from multiple tracks easy across multiple cores. If you try to create a single track with a lot of plugins (16 for example) it might struggle, while 16 tracks with just one plugin on every track might run very well.


Current audio hosts strategy is send CPU load from track 01 to CORE1, track 02 to CORE2, etc. Simple solution but not well balanced in big project. Multithreat is used in load emulation programs and vector.

Live is measuring Live load but not computer (CPU/RAM, etc.) load, your are measuring in the wrong place, then you draw in wrong conclusions. Please measure from your OS tools not from your audio host.

Several audio host developers recommend to keep one core free for OS load, in i7 you will have 7 cores free for audio data load.

If you need more details about how to measure CPU load, send us a support ticket.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
User avatar
Support
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2884
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:33 am
Location: Lodi, Lombardia, Italy.

Re: Nebula causing lout crackling, stuttering Playback etc.

Postby alba63 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:48 pm

Good, that was useful information, didn't know about track 1 --> core 1 etc.

I checked in the Win- task manager and in my ASUS tools, total cpu load was much lower there... Good!

I use Ablteton Live 9: So what about the track numbers higher than 8? (I have a Xeon cpu with 4 cores and hyper threading, so 8 logical cores which are also displayed in the meter). Will they be evenly distributed to all cores, like track 9 goes to core 1, track 10 to core 2 etc?

Thanks
Bernhard
alba63
User Level I
User Level I
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: Nebula causing lout crackling, stuttering Playback etc.

Postby Support » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:45 pm

alba63 wrote:Good, that was useful information, didn't know about track 1 --> core 1 etc.

I checked in the Win- task manager and in my ASUS tools, total cpu load was much lower there... Good!

I use Ablteton Live 9: So what about the track numbers higher than 8? (I have a Xeon cpu with 4 cores and hyper threading, so 8 logical cores which are also displayed in the meter). Will they be evenly distributed to all cores, like track 9 goes to core 1, track 10 to core 2 etc?

Thanks
Bernhard


It depends on each audio host, each one use a different implementation in several topics like: side chain, bouncing, routing, CPU balance and sync, etc.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
User avatar
Support
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2884
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:33 am
Location: Lodi, Lombardia, Italy.


Return to Working with Nebula

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests