Postby jelmet » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:25 am

Any news on this front? The Core7 front I mean
jelmet
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Re: Best CPU for Nebula Pro or Server 2015

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:12 pm

i want to see what the skylake cpu`s can do before i upgrade
an 6 core or 8 core skylake might be it in an 2016 upgrade :)

if i had to upgrade today i would go for i7-5820K :)
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby basaristudios@gmail.com » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:15 am

Well i built new machine based on Haswell-E, i7 5820K, 6 Cores.
Its Heaven.
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.
basaristudios@gmail.com
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RJHollins » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:31 am

I just recently built with the i7-5820K. [coming from the Q9450 quad-core].

I've not done any 100 trk mix projects, but with some rather heavy master chains, the system hasn't even blinked.

I randomly go to TIMED settings. I run DMG-EQualibrium FIR at highest settings without issue. I do knock fir setting down a couple notches because of latency of changes to hearing them ... but that is the nature of that beast.

I run stock with 16 gigs of DDR-4 ram.

I also do 3-d radioscity <sp> rendering with SKETCH-UP. Watching all the bizzy cores flying is significantly faster. yeah.

Though we have had significant advances with the Neb/Acqua engine ... I'd bet that we could bring it to its' knees with the ultra HQ presets running realtime, but those ARE designed for OFF-LINE rendering.

Anyway. Since I was forced into this new build ... I'm happy with the choices made with budget.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby basaristudios@gmail.com » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:37 am

On mine i've had about 60 Instances of Nebula plus countless
other plugins...i do not touch any settings in Nebula since i
do not know nothing about them. Did not hit 50% power in Cubase 8 Pro.
And also 2 DIVA's, 3 Monark's and few other Synths.
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.
basaristudios@gmail.com
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby saddle » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:16 am

RJHollins wrote:I just recently built with the i7-5820K. [coming from the Q9450 quad-core].

I've not done any 100 trk mix projects, but with some rather heavy master chains, the system hasn't even blinked.

I randomly go to TIMED settings. I run DMG-EQualibrium FIR at highest settings without issue. I do knock fir setting down a couple notches because of latency of changes to hearing them ... but that is the nature of that beast.

I run stock with 16 gigs of DDR-4 ram.

I also do 3-d radioscity <sp> rendering with SKETCH-UP. Watching all the bizzy cores flying is significantly faster. yeah.

Though we have had significant advances with the Neb/Acqua engine ... I'd bet that we could bring it to its' knees with the ultra HQ presets running realtime, but those ARE designed for OFF-LINE rendering.

Anyway. Since I was forced into this new build ... I'm happy with the choices made with budget.

STOP! You're making me cry! :)
I want a new computer! I'm going to build a dual cpu system. With the 5820k first, and then dual XEON's as I can afford them.

Can't wait...
Pro-Tools 11.3.1
Reaper 5
saddle
User Level I
User Level I

Postby RJHollins » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 am

Understood.

:lol:

Keep us posted on the build. Something all could benefit from.

So much technology change since I did the Q9450 build [some 8 yrs ago], it was intense to do the 'new build' research.

Today, I'm still installing/testing necessary software. Also going through this transition from a 32-bit OS to 64-bit. A 'positive' aspect of this ... a clean start to decide WHAT is essential.

8 years ago, I was all ALGO plugins. I kept buying more, hoping that the newer would be better and get me to the familiar world of what 30 years of analogue was.

Later, I got a magazine that had a program disk with something called NEBULA on it [came free with the mag]. Didn't think much ... until I installed it and passed some audio through it.

I heard something I hadn't since my days as a full-time engineer ... but it was very late at night, figuring that that special 'something' I heard was an illusion [or delusion]. :| Thing is, I heard it the next day ... and then the next. It had begun. :shock: :mrgreen:
The deep passion re-ignited. I'm some 90+% Nebula/Acqua, and very selective what ALGO's I play with.

I just hope that this new 5820K build can provide many years of service. It just takes me too long to get back up and running.

All the best !

8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby sfabs » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:46 pm

Hello

any thoughts from Support on this front... since the release of server ultimate with Core 7 (which I have upgraded to)

I'd like to know what processors "support" and "developers" at Acustica are themselves using... dual CPU? Xeon? i7's??

I love the look of the intel Core i7 Extreme 5960 which is 8 cores... (breaks the bank!)
But for the same money you could pickup a 10 core xeon E5 2660v3...

I know they are all serious processors but interested in opinions?
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Support » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:08 pm

sfabs wrote:Hello

any thoughts from Support on this front... since the release of server ultimate with Core 7 (which I have upgraded to)

I'd like to know what processors "support" and "developers" at Acustica are themselves using... dual CPU? Xeon? i7's??

I love the look of the intel Core i7 Extreme 5960 which is 8 cores... (breaks the bank!)
But for the same money you could pickup a 10 core xeon E5 2660v3...

I know they are all serious processors but interested in opinions?

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/artic ... re-i7-634/
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby saddle » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:23 pm

That's a nice article. Thank!

Does Nebula Server Ultimate x64 have any limits? Number of instances, number of threads/cores it can use, etc.?

If you were running a dual xeon 32 core with 64gb of ram, when would you hit limits with Neb server?

Thanks
Greg
Pro-Tools 11.3.1
Reaper 5
saddle
User Level I
User Level I

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula