Login

What sample rate are you running your DAW and Nebula?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Which Sample Rate?

55%
10%
No votes
35%

Total votes : 31

What sample rate are you running your DAW and Nebula?

Postby SWAN » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:23 pm

Just wondering how much of the community go for 96k? Im thinking about upgrading to a 2600k W7 machine and of course - then crippling it by running @ 96k...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Re: What sample rate are you running your DAW and Nebula?

Postby Barendse » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Mixing @ 44.1 & mastering @ 96.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:24 pm

It's certainly worth evaluating on your hardware whether you end up doing it or not. I think it was Dan Lavry who suggested once that most hardware is optimized for one or maybe two sample rates and then made to handle the others; so there may be one that you prefer to the others without getting into the "which is technically better" debate that never goes anywhere new.

I mix at 44.1. To me the main difference is a mild attenuation of the highest audible bands. That's something that can (and by default just will) adjust for as you're mixing and setting your lo pass / air EQs. So to me a fairly small filter curve at 19.5/20k doesn't justify cutting my resources in half. Audible, yes; problematic, no.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:06 pm

ngarjuna wrote:It's certainly worth evaluating on your hardware whether you end up doing it or not. I think it was Dan Lavry who suggested once that most hardware is optimized for one or maybe two sample rates and then made to handle the others; so there may be one that you prefer to the others without getting into the "which is technically better" debate that never goes anywhere new.

I mix at 44.1. To me the main difference is a mild attenuation of the highest audible bands. That's something that can (and by default just will) adjust for as you're mixing and setting your lo pass / air EQs. So to me a fairly small filter curve at 19.5/20k doesn't justify cutting my resources in half. Audible, yes; problematic, no.

I agree with this post, but maybe I am affected by the whole idea of knowing that there is "more" to be had. I mix at 48 these days. I feel like the gains from 41 to 48 are greater in the real world audio than going even higher to 96 and using THAT many resources. So I settle on the happy medium. I feel like I notice the high end loss at 41 but don't notice the gains at 96. Just my weird ears, I'm sure.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Frank Funk » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:12 pm

My experience is with my daw Studio One, the 96kHz resolution is much "deeper" and more exactly sounding. That means, the vsti´s are much better sounding. This experience was not so nice. A 44,1 kHz resolution offers a lot more resources. But I choose 96kHz. A pro for sound.
Frank Funk
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby yr » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:03 pm

I've been working at 96kHz (for the most part) for about 1.5-2 years now. Lately I'm getting tired of juggling system-resources (I have an OC'd 2600k) and up-sampling material that I receive at lower sample-rates. I try to work now @ the sample rate which was used for tracking and use Nebula presets that match the project sr (as much as possible).
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby faun2500 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:44 pm

44.1 here and for the last 10 years.

Cds sound fine, records sound good, mp3's sound shite but ultimately it is the smashed to * masters that matter. :roll:

44.1 sounds fine to me but I remember trying 96k and thinking my softsynths sounded brighter - like we need it more brighter!
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby SWAN » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:25 am

yr wrote:I've been working at 96kHz (for the most part) for about 1.5-2 years now. Lately I'm getting tired of juggling system-resources (I have an OC'd 2600k) and up-sampling material that I receive at lower sample-rates. I try to work now @ the sample rate which was used for tracking and use Nebula presets that match the project sr (as much as possible).

do you find yourself quickly running out of resources with a 2600?

Not just Nebula but as I will be using algo saturation and VST synths - this is why Im considering 96k...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby TranscendingMusic » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:49 am

44.1 for everything. Always found higher rates to sound artifically enhanced in the high's; not within my control as well.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby yr » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:26 am

SWAN wrote:
do you find yourself quickly running out of resources with a 2600?

Not just Nebula but as I will be using algo saturation and VST synths - this is why Im considering 96k...

With Nebula@96kHz I can mix about 7-8 tracks with full console+tape emulations (about 35 11k presets). Beyond that things become unstable (so I have to bounce etc). I don't use vsti much so I don't know. Most algo saturation plugins are much lighter then Nebula (unless they use oversampling) so that shouldn't be a big problem.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Return to Working with Nebula