Login

Frozenboot

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Frozenboot

Postby darren » Wed May 13, 2015 7:46 pm

Is it still possible to use the 'Frozenboot' method to vastly speed up instantiate times?

Thanks.
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Frozenboot

Postby giancarlo » Thu May 14, 2015 7:35 am

yes it should
Use also scanboot at 0, and frozenboot at 1
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby RJHollins » Thu May 14, 2015 5:05 pm

?question?

Where are we getting 'FrozenBoot' from ?

When I look at Nebula XML, I read a

<SCANBOOT> 1 </SCANBOOT>

and

<FASTBOOT> 1 </FASTBOOT>

I see no 'FrozenBoot' :?
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby mathias » Thu May 14, 2015 5:09 pm

you have to add it manually.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Thu May 14, 2015 5:12 pm

mathias wrote:you have to add it manually.

hm ... OK, somehow I missed this mention in the threads or documentation :o

Would appreciate a link or description of this ;) Is it a 'Boolean' Tag switch [0 or 1] ?

Thanks!!
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby mathias » Thu May 14, 2015 5:20 pm

use the same synthax as with scanboot.
set it to 1 to have frozenboot active (it does not scan for new programs anymore) or to 0 to disable it, if you need to scan for some new programs.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Fri May 15, 2015 6:08 am

I use nebula setups, so I don't ever load the regular Nebula anyway. But for "fun", I tried the frozenboot setting, and when I load the Nebula Reverb, it has scanned nothing, the menu is empty.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Fri May 15, 2015 6:13 am

If I have the scanboot set to 0 as was recommended, the menu is empty. I just reset it to 1 (frozenboot to 1) and it now loads quickly. Still not as fast as the many instances I have created using Nebula Setups, they load in less than a second. I even have them set up to load with a default preset (brilliant app, I tell ya!!)
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Fri May 15, 2015 7:25 am

Interesting ... I need to test this option.

There are definite times that I must go to full library access with Nebula :shock: Though I have many 'custom' Nebs for my go too's ... I also have many presets that I need to re-listen with [the many hidden gems] :mrgreen: Often times they will then get a 'custom' setup of their own.

As an aside ... I've had it happen often that a new purchase just didn't seem to work for a particular project, or I just bought it to support the Dev's [knowing that it was a classic piece made it a no brainer].

But as I've dug through the preset archives, I find a match that just fits for a specific project.

Even though I have a stock collection of 'first call' libraries ... the time comes to explore new/different sonic textures/character. It is also a time to study/learn a different tool. Even if I don't end up using it, I try to let a mental snapshot set in. This helps me in my planning strategy phase when a new project arrives.

Zab's 'Nebula Setups' is indeed THE most important utility for anyone working seriously with Nebula. As the libraries grow, it becomes even MORE essential.

This could be a whole separate topic thread ... that is, HOW/WHAT to 'you' build your custom library with?

I started with separate setups for just an EQ, or the console, or dynamics. I ended up putting ALL 'tape' presets into one setup.

I've been considering doing a 'theme' type setup ... like placing AlexB's N*VE collection [console, eq, dynamics] all in a single Setup. Just weighting the pros/cons. I do like to mix things up [because we can], but I also respect the traditional mode of matching units, like a full bore A*I or S*L collection.

Even though I mainly do mastering ... I get so many projects that a pure 'digital' recording ... for certain styles, this is absolutely fine ... but there are plenty that just come to life and dimension when given doses of console, preamps, tape, what have you ... before I even get to shaping or correction.

Anyway ... back to topic ... I need to try these optional settings .... particularly if I'm going to have a static database for a time.

After reading this thread, I'm still not certain exactly what settings to change ... so, for the 'slow learner' in the class:

If we want to put NebulaReverb into the fastest to INIT with the full library ... what settings should be added and changed?

THEN ... when we DO need to refresh [due to a new library installed], what settings need to revert.

Again ... thanks from the slow one here :|

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby giancarlo » Fri May 15, 2015 7:41 am

after a scan you can disable scanboot and it loads quickly.
Frozenboot and scanboot can make nebula rather fast
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Next

Return to Working with Nebula