Login

Need Optimal Nebula Setups/Mast Tweaks For Comp &Guitar Libs

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Need Optimal Nebula Setups/Mast Tweaks For Comp &Guitar Libs

Postby cascully » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:47 am

Hi Everyone,

Please keep in mind that I am a neophyte with some of this technology. I finally got nebula setups to work I think and am customizing my libraries. I am hoping the helpful people in the community can point me in the right direction as I understand a lot of the compressor libraries do not perform optimally at stock settings and perhaps the same can be true for the guitar cabs.

1) Do you make these tweaks within Nebula setups or the mast page? If so, can you give me a quick example?

2) Any specific recommendations on tweaks for the following?

1) Alex B Comp Libraries - it looks like Alex recommends stock settings
2) Cupwise Comp Libraries
3) Eric Beam/Signal To Noize Comp Libraries
4) Analog In The Box Comp Libraries

3) Any specific recommendations on tweaks for the following?

Various guitar comps for real time playing (I hear it's better to use the regular version and not the reverb version.). Maybe there's optimal latency settings for these?

By the way, I saw this page, but it's still way too confusing. Looking for a simple explanation and no brainer recommendations. Thank you!

------------------------------------------------------
Re: Best Settings in Master Page ?
by enriquesilveti » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:24 am

All tips of the month, listed
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1346

Tweaking MAST page I
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1847

Tweaking MAST page II
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1858
Saludos,
cascully
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Need Optimal Nebula Setups/Mast Tweaks For Comp &Guitar

Postby RJHollins » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:19 am

Please edit the links you posted so that we can see what you are referring too.

In regard to your inquiry ... Nebula and Acqua are pretty much ready to go from the start.

About the ONLY edit I've down is raising the DSPBuffer setting to pull some strain off my computer. It doubles the latency, but that is a non-factor for my needs.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby cascully » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:06 am

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24987&p=51868&hilit=Best+Settings+in+Master+Page+%3F#p51868

Link is here. That's good to know that you don't feel any tweaks need to be done. What about for playing instruments like for the guitar and cabs. Latency settings are adjusted? Also, I would have thought people would disable that scanboot thing, which I'm not sure if I did properly or not. It seems to significantly slow loadup.

I'm not sure but in the Nebula setups program, if I default the value scanboot to 0, shouldn't this work?
cascully
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby RJHollins » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:06 am

cascully wrote: What about for playing instruments like for the guitar and cabs. Latency settings are adjusted? Also, I would have thought people would disable that scanboot thing, which I'm not sure if I did properly or not. It seems to significantly slow loadup.

I'm not sure but in the Nebula setups program, if I default the value scanboot to 0, shouldn't this work?

I can't speak to latency, especially suggesting 'real-time' application. Have to let 'guitarist' field that question.

I've not changed ScanBoot settings. However this is where NebulaSetups really helps. If you create a 'custom' Nebula [using SetUps] in a practical way, the number of loaded presets would be only small collection. The loading times can be much faster [compared to the default Nebula loading in all available libraries. When you get into the 1000's it can definitely take time.

I usually make a 'custom' of a particular library [say a specific EQ], or a custom for the 'TAPE' collection, etc. These load quickly. You can custom 'skin' each one [I don't].

Scanboot. My collection of Nebula libraries can grow at any point [new releases]. Sometimes I remove certain presets that have Sample Rates I'll not use. This saves disk space and less global presets to load. Therefore, I have Nebula do the scan. It can be slow .... but this will force me to make a custom Nebula when I find a library being called often.

I looked briefly through the 'customizing' links. There are things to tinker with [when in 'expert mode'], but caution is advised. Have a backup of your original factory settings. We had several users get carried away and botch their Nebula.

The Devs might have special instructions in their library documentation to tweak a NEB for a specific library. It is wise to do this only to a custom NebulaSetup version. You don't want to have some of these tweaks for every library from all Devs ... caution.

Point. The Devs mostly design for stock Nebula, so straight out, the sound is there. Things like DSPBuffer can help performance issues.

There are some experimental tweaks that several of us 'play' with. Things like TIMED settings. It will change the sound from the intended Dev design ... it's best to say, 'subjective' is better or worse ... and not doing it correctly can definitely make it worse or easily bring a 'super-computer' to its knees.

You mention being relatively new to Nebula ... if so ... there are so many libraries that have their own sound, texture, vibe ... these are the essential things that I study. It's why/how we might choose one preamp, EQ, over another ... when we use full kernel presets, or 'clean' versions ... and what combinations. I don't know if it is infinite combinations ... but there are enough unique libraries to keep one busy for quite some time. Even similar libraries can [and do] have their own personal sound. This is the nature of hardware .... especially vintage equipment. Each bring their personality stamp, even if you buy the same 'name' from different Devs. The difference may or may NOT be subtle. Slightly different designs, era, have been captured into a Nebula/Acqua library.

At some point later, you may want to experiment. I have too. But I learned what the 'start point' is, and what specifics to listen for ... then able to make a judgment for myself. Not ALL experiments are globally good or better.

Hope some of this was useful. This forum has some very knowledgeable people that are happy to share the passion we have for sound. Take time to go through the forum. There is lots here.

8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:27 am

Don't make any changes, except if the manual of a library says to do so (ahead on recent AlexB comps for instance is a good one).

The only thing that brings the latency down is to use the normal 'Nebula' instance instead of the 'Nebula Reverb' one. And lowering the DSP buffer.

But this increases the cpu cost and strain on your system (and quite hard to be honest) and it will never be without latency.

Regular Nebula instance with a DSP buffer of 128 gives me 258 samples of latency (which quickly means 384 or 512 samples latency in Reaper, depending on your ASIO settings). That's about the lowest you could go.

For double-tracking, this is too much latency for me. That is why I normally track without Nebula, or create an impulse response of the freq-response of a bunch of Nebula combined, so I get 'the ballpark' to dial in a sound.
When tracking is done (or a single take is 'final'), I turn Nebula on and bounce it.

So, playing 'live' with Nebula can be done but quite hard. Using it for real recording / tracking I wouldn't recommend at all. Track without it, turn it on later during mixing / mix-prep.
jorismak

Postby cascully » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:50 am

Thanks guys. I want you to know that I really appreciate all this information. It sounds like by version 3 most of the weird kinks had been already optimized unless a developer specifically designed a comp for tweaks (like Gemini's comps).

I have had Nebula for many years so when I said new, I meant new to all the tweaks. But I got tired of working within the confines of the same old GUI and Nebula Setups has renewed my interest as I am finding this super cool to use within personalized GUIS and setups.

The information on the guitar was most helpful. It sounds like indeed this can't really be done for tracking. That's a shame because the sound quality is there but there needs to be a reasonable degree of latency for live use and responsiveness.
cascully
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby stratorules » Sat May 09, 2015 6:48 am

Hey Casc

The main reason why i use nebula is for the guitar stuff...
How my setup work:

my guitar into audio interface (computer lenovo i5 8g ram windows 7 /x64)
mbox 3 audio interface into daw (asio buffer 128)
samplitude (daw buffer 128) (44.1 sample rate)
sgear amp sim (for example) with cab section bypassed
nebula ownhammer cabs (nebula dsp 128)the normal nebula not the reverb
followed by effects. or compression
sometimes i use a vsti with drum sounds for practice or a youtube video with backing track.

the lattency is fine for me something like 5ms while tracking.
i can play just fine with this lattency and dont have problems while tracking live.

if i have more than 2 tracks , well then i can't :D track live, because the daw start to give crack sounds and bugs due to cpu usage. soo you can use live or while tracking but only with a limited setup.
i cant do this approach in a session, lets say you have the drums with vsti on and other tracks lets say a bass vocals and etc.. this wont work. only if you have a "bounce demo" just to fit the 1 guitar track .
you can record that track and freeze or bounce and do another one.
multiple tasks require more cpu, and for tracking well it wont work.

i love the sounds and feel of the guitar playing trought nebula, nothing beats this approach. you can use the process of tracking with irs lets say ownhammer irs and later on mix stage change the irs for the nebula version of the library.

i dont like because im a guitarrist and need to listen to the real sound while tracking.

when i listen to THAT sound the nice and great sound, i cant see a problem or a PITA approach workaround regarding nebula use. it is not for everyone , but guess what? im not everyone.

if i can dream with something that can be a less cpu hog, or lets say more powerfull computers and optimized cpu distribuition form nebula.

because the sound is already there, we just need horse power to deal with.

hope it helps

peace!
stratorules
User Level I
User Level I

Return to Working with Nebula