Login

Using Nebula Server with two computers

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Using Nebula Server with two computers

Postby SoundForSoul » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:26 pm

Long story short, I am a new user of Nebula and I became quickly addicted in the manner that I can't mix and master without it. The downfall is that it can drag the CPU to its knees in no time.
I have bought the Nebula Server thinking that I could split the processing power between my two macs, a mac pro and a macbook pro (both with i7 cpus ~ 3.2 Ghz ).
When I run the Nebula Server application on the server (the laptop), while the Local computer (running Logic Pro X 10.1) is already pretty Cpu heavy loaded - I got to load the server application to around 20 % before glitches and start/stops start to occur.
Initially I thought that I could use both machines at their full CPU capacity but it seems that only the Local one ( the one running Logic can be used till about the 80-90% of the CPU is used), while the server (the laptop barely hits the 20% before problems occur. They are networked via ethernet using a 2m long CAT 6 cable. (I have tried with a crossover one with the same results).
What's your experience so far regarding sharing the processing power between two computers using Nebula Server ? - is it really helpful, or only the latest cpu (Haswell for example) would be a better answer to work with as many instances of Nebula as possible, instead of sharing resources among two computers with older i7 processors?
SoundForSoul
User Level II
User Level II

Return to Working with Nebula