Login

Nebula version 1.3.903 released

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula version 1.3.903 released

Postby javahut » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:48 pm

is nebula 3 server more efficient and better at balancing work across 6 core cpu (i7-5930k) than nebula 3 pro?

and that would be considered configuring and running it as a "local" server? (i.e., running on the same pc as the daw)
downtempo.dub.psychedlic.twang
Canartic - Modulotion
javahut
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Support » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:31 pm

javahut wrote:is nebula 3 server more efficient and better at balancing work across 6 core cpu (i7-5930k) than nebula 3 pro?

and that would be considered configuring and running it as a "local" server? (i.e., running on the same pc as the daw)

Show be, lasted IPP and SSE are implemented but depends also how your audio host manage Nebula multhreading. Nebula3 Server has RAM sharing feature also.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby misterambient » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:25 pm

javahut wrote:Count me in as having problems with 1.3.903 I didn't have before. I've checked every thing I possibly could. I've changed everything I can think of... except installing back to a previous version. Which is kinda hard, because I've built an entirely new PC just because I started having problems with projects playing (that previously worked fine) after installing the update, but didn't realize it could be Nebula related, and that (a few) others were having similar problems after the upgrade.

So I had an i7-980x running at 3.6 Ghz running Win7 x64 and Sonar Platinum x64, working great with no audio engine dropouts. I'm now running the exact same projects on a new system i7-5930k @ 3.8 Ghz, Win7 x64, Sonar x64, with a completely new install of Nebula Pro x64 1.3.903 and still getting the same drop outs I never used to have with previous Nebula (and previous i7-980x). No other hardware or software changes other than what should be a much faster, better PC. Back when I had a system working quite well, the threads seemed to indicate more balanced. Now the first thread seems to be doing more work... and none of the threads are close to maxed.

I'd be happy just getting back my old performance. It is like something moved a lot of the work to first thread (before and after the upgraded PC), where it used to indicate work being split more evenly across the cores.

Dunno. I just know I finally looked here and see others had similar problem with 1.3.903 update. Gotta be something.

I would gladly upgrade to local Server edition if I knew it would work.

I know... put in a support ticket.

I don't think the builders have an answer to these problems. Try disabling core parking and disable EIST (speedstep), and maybe disable HPET in the BIOS of your new system. Also check if you have ThreadSchedulingModel 2 in Sonar (under preferences, config file).

Strange thing is, after rolling back to .846 most stuff runs fine here, but I also have the first (of 12) core spiking. More spiking than before. Also, TimP's Gyrator in splith mode puts my system (I7-970 6 core overclocked at 4.2 Ghz) almost to its knees, and it runs fine in timed mode... Which should be the other way around. So now I find myself having to freeze and bounce sometimes, which hinders creativity.

Maybe TranscendingMusic can chime in and tell us if Server makes the first core spiking disproportionally in his DAW.
misterambient
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Support » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:27 am

misterambient wrote:
javahut wrote:Count me in as having problems with 1.3.903 I didn't have before. I've checked every thing I possibly could. I've changed everything I can think of... except installing back to a previous version. Which is kinda hard, because I've built an entirely new PC just because I started having problems with projects playing (that previously worked fine) after installing the update, but didn't realize it could be Nebula related, and that (a few) others were having similar problems after the upgrade.

So I had an i7-980x running at 3.6 Ghz running Win7 x64 and Sonar Platinum x64, working great with no audio engine dropouts. I'm now running the exact same projects on a new system i7-5930k @ 3.8 Ghz, Win7 x64, Sonar x64, with a completely new install of Nebula Pro x64 1.3.903 and still getting the same drop outs I never used to have with previous Nebula (and previous i7-980x). No other hardware or software changes other than what should be a much faster, better PC. Back when I had a system working quite well, the threads seemed to indicate more balanced. Now the first thread seems to be doing more work... and none of the threads are close to maxed.

I'd be happy just getting back my old performance. It is like something moved a lot of the work to first thread (before and after the upgraded PC), where it used to indicate work being split more evenly across the cores.

Dunno. I just know I finally looked here and see others had similar problem with 1.3.903 update. Gotta be something.

I would gladly upgrade to local Server edition if I knew it would work.

I know... put in a support ticket.

I don't think the builders have an answer to these problems. Try disabling core parking and disable EIST (speedstep), and maybe disable HPET in the BIOS of your new system. Also check if you have ThreadSchedulingModel 2 in Sonar (under preferences, config file).

Strange thing is, after rolling back to .846 most stuff runs fine here, but I also have the first (of 12) core spiking. More spiking than before. Also, TimP's Gyrator in splith mode puts my system (I7-970 6 core overclocked at 4.2 Ghz) almost to its knees, and it runs fine in timed mode... Which should be the other way around. So now I find myself having to freeze and bounce sometimes, which hinders creativity.

Maybe TranscendingMusic can chime in and tell us if Server makes the first core spiking disproportionally in his DAW.

Try small Nebula DSPBuffer values with 903.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby loki » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:45 pm

So how do I get this update, it doesn't show up anywhere in my dashboard when I log in?
loki
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Support » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:45 pm

loki wrote:So how do I get this update, it doesn't show up anywhere in my dashboard when I log in?

Send us a support ticket.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby zekeproductions » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:50 pm

I downloaded the Update, Installed it and now it is asking me to Authorize again. Is this normal? I went ahead and uploaded my .ser to get it authorized. I'm just curious. Running windows 7 64bit
zekeproductions
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Support » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:51 am

zekeproductions wrote:I downloaded the Update, Installed it and now it is asking me to Authorize again. Is this normal? I went ahead and uploaded my .ser to get it authorized. I'm just curious. Running windows 7 64bit

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26045
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby javahut » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:48 am

God... I don't know where to start.

First, I've spent a month and a half trying to solve a new problem with my PC, and in the process... rebuilding my audio PC to a 5930k from a 980x, new 32GB DDR4 RAM (from old 24GB DDR3), new SSD Samsung Pro 1TB for audio and samples (OS is and has been SSD Samsung 840 Pro 500GB), reinstalling everything from scratch. Uninstalling recently updated plugins... trying to figure out what's causing the problem. Thinking it must be a "bloated" Sonar. Purchased Reaper and started trying to learn it. Realized there's too much in Sonar's workflow I can't do without enough to spend time learning Reaper. Back to trying to figure out the problem with Sonar. Purchased server version of Nebula. All to no avail... as I continued to have the same severe audio engine drop out problem that's been plaguing me for the last month and a half continue.

Then on a whim... I uninstalled the 1.3.903 server completely... reinstalled the Pro version of 1.3.846, making sure to completely rebuild plugins, xmls, and VST registry for Sonar. And... voila! Everything back to normal.

I don't know what you guys did to 1.3.903. All I know is... I can run a metric $h|T ton of Nebula plugins in a single project without problems in 1.3.846. I can't play through a project once with less than a quarter of that amount of Nebula plugins in 1.3.903 on the server version.

So anyway... relieved that all's working again after a month and a half of problems, and several thousand $$$$ later. Nice to have a newer "upgraded" PC (though I lost my PoweCore PCI in the process).

I just hope the guys at Acustica can figure out what it is exactly that's different about 1.3.903 from 1.3.846, and can fix it. Or figure out a way to explain in English what the difference is and what we need to do to make the newer versions of Nebula work as well.

For everyone that says 1.3.903 works better? Either you have something entirely different with your system than several of us here do... or you don't really use Nebula heavily. Because there is without a doubt a HUGE difference between the two versions... and I'm using a LOT of Nebula in my projects. And this makes 2 systems I've used 1.3.903 on now that both exhibited the exact same problem with the update (one wasn't an update, but a completely new install on a completely new, modern X99 system).

Can't wait to see if I see an even bigger increase with the 1.3.846 Server version (now that I own it) over the Pro version.

But I'm really kinda worried that Acustica doesn't recognize that there's a problem. And what's different in the newer version that might be causing it to perform so very much worse than 1.3.846, in some systems at least. Is there a setting in an XML or something for the new version? Something not assembled correctly? I don't know. But I'd hate to be stuck on 1.3.846 and now never be able to upgrade again. As much trouble as this has been, and as much time and money as this has cost me, I'm afraid I'll have to abandon Nebula after all this time using it, and go back to algo plugs for everything. Please, Acustica, try to solve this problem. There definitely is one. I really hope you don't ignore it. Maybe it'll work itself out in the next update (fingers crossed).

At least I'm back in the audio business for now, and out of the technology troubleshooting business... at least for a little while.
downtempo.dub.psychedlic.twang
Canartic - Modulotion
javahut
User Level V
User Level V

Postby RJHollins » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:05 am

wow ... glad you're up and running again !

Out of curiosity ... can you look at your NebulaReverb XML file and post what your DSPBuffer is set at ?
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula