I've been using AITB's E.A.R. Reverbs on my mixes for a while now, and overall I'm very happy with them. However, once in a while they make some very strange noises which render them unusable on mixes. They're hard to describe, so I've uploaded 2 examples which you can listen to via this link:
(In the above link I've also included a snapshot of my master settings in Nebula)
I have a trim VST before the Nebula plugin, and the audio I am sending to Nebula is peaking no higher than -10dB. Increasing liquidity gets rid of the strange sounds, but it also completely changes the sound of the reverb, so unfortunately that's not a solution. To my knowledge, the only setting I've changed manually was the L FREQD parameter, in order to use longer reverb times. I am using Reaper 64-bit with RME audio drivers @256 samples of latency.
Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any suggestions? I love those reverbs but right now I'm stuck!
Thank you for the link, but there is no sample rate conversion occurring (my project is 96kHz, as is the library) and unfortunately increasing/decreasing my DSPBUFFER did not change anything. It is currently at 4096.
i had this happen also with some programs of the ear reverb bundle. i wrote mirco about it last summer, but he never came back to me on that issue. here it was like soft "grg grg grg grg" sounding artefacts on fading reverbtails. a few ear programs have these artefacts and it is also depending on the source sometimes. yes, liquidity can cure it, but this also takes out some of the airiness of the reverb, only sometimes a solution.
i guess we have to live with it (or the soundchange of liquidity set higher).
how many programs of the ear reverbs are affected on your side?
Last edited by mathias on Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox/x3, tracktion6/7, reaper system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6/7(32+64bit)
both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
I sent a message to AITB alongside this post and I heard back from Mirco within the hour - great customer support, but unfortunately we haven't been able to resolve the issue with his suggestions yet. We've tried a lot, I've changed pretty much every parameter I can get my mouse on to no avail.
I've gone through many of the E.A.R. reverb programs and right now the problem seems to be affecting all of them. Unfortunately the problem only goes away completely at 100% liquidity, which completely changes the way the reverb sounds and renders it mostly unuseable.
I am still investigating on this, because it's nearly a new problem on EAR - so I want to be sure, what is behind this problem. That's why I asked in a support queue about the complete setup (Nebula, Version, DAW, HD) to replicate this in detail. Hopefully, we will find a solution asap that will work for you and also other users.
ok, I have a (temp) solution, even if I can't reproduce it to the same amount - I can hear it on the two programs, which where mentioned on our support-line, little artefacts, when it comes to bass heavier stuff or transient-rich stuff.
So the trick is, and for me it works without changing the verb itself, go into:
1.) EDIT-Page 2.) go to EVFs Page 3.) Change HighPass to something that fits 4.) Enable HighPass SC: ON
This will not degrade your audio, it's only how the engine will work with the audio (switching kernels in realtime etc) - it is a sidechain for the envelope follower inside Nebula.