Login

32 Bit and 64 Bit Nebula on one machine & upgrade process

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

32 Bit and 64 Bit Nebula on one machine & upgrade process

Postby sfabs » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:13 am

Hello

I Have searched the forum and read through similar topics but struggled to find a few definitives on a couple of questions I have, hence why I have started a post which might sound like it's been covered before.

I wanted to ask before trying to update/upgrade as don't want to get it wrong and risk downtime.

Firstly other posts have made me aware that I can have both the 32bit and 64bit versions of Nebula on one machine... do I have to run both install programs to achieve this? I'm assuming they can share the same repository? Would I need to authorise both versions?

If I decide to migrate over to 64 bit Neb from 32 bit Neb. Do I need to uninstall 32 bit Neb and install 64 bit Neb or is there an upgrade method. Or is it simpler just to keep 32 bit on there and add the 64 bit install?

I read the upgrade process post and realised I have been busy working away on Nebula 3 pro version 1.2 and tons of updates have been done since and I really need to get current as some new libraries wont work on my older version. Can I go straight to the latest update?
As I understand from the update post "IMPORTANT: From 1.3.600 version we change the name of the .DLL/.XML files in Windows versions. After upgrade from a 1.3.4xx/1.3.5xx version, go Acustica or Acustica64 folder and delete/backup old files and rename new files if you need compatibility with old projects."

This isn't clear to me, what I should do... or how this might affect all my current projects? Do I need to run the upgrade... find my old xml and dll files (rename for backup purposes) and then rename the new xml and dll files so they have the same name as they did before the upgrade? does this also mean I need to redo any XML tweaks?

I realise that a lot will become clear during the process but I like to have as much information before hand as I'm worried about affecting my current projects.

Thanks for listening and helping 8-)
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: 32 Bit and 64 Bit Nebula on one machine & upgrade proces

Postby Support » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:37 pm

Firstly other posts have made me aware that I can have both the 32bit and 64bit versions of Nebula on one machine... do I have to run both install programs to achieve this? I'm assuming they can share the same repository? Would I need to authorise both versions?

In Windows 32 and 64 installer are separated exe files. Yes you can share repository folder, authorization is related to hardware/OS not to architecture or format so current personal key will enough.

If I decide to migrate over to 64 bit Neb from 32 bit Neb. Do I need to uninstall 32 bit Neb and install 64 bit Neb or is there an upgrade method. Or is it simpler just to keep 32 bit on there and add the 64 bit install?

If you still use 32 bits or load old project your should keep it. You should install a 64 bits setup to install core OS files and reinstall your personal key. Clean temp cache folder is recommended.

I read the upgrade process post and realised I have been busy working away on Nebula 3 pro version 1.2 and tons of updates have been done since and I really need to get current as some new libraries wont work on my older version. Can I go straight to the latest update?
As I understand from the update post "IMPORTANT: From 1.3.600 version we change the name of the .DLL/.XML files in Windows versions. After upgrade from a 1.3.4xx/1.3.5xx version, go Acustica or Acustica64 folder and delete/backup old files and rename new files if you need compatibility with old projects."

Due your VST host will search/load VST plug-in looking at the .DLL name, for old project compatibility you should keep the .DLL files names. You have two options

1 - New .DLLs rename to old .DLLs names.
2 - Keeps old .DLLs and start using new ones in new project, new .DLLs must have different name than the older ones.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Re: 32 Bit and 64 Bit Nebula on one machine & upgrade proces

Postby sfabs » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:10 pm

FANTASTIC answer, thanks for the help, that clears it all up for me :)
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Return to Working with Nebula