Login

why does rendering or bouncing lose mojo and 3dness in logic

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

why does rendering or bouncing lose mojo and 3dness in logic

Postby domandroland » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:33 pm

I've noticed it with lots of plug-ins, but more so with nebula because it sounds so good. I did a good few hours of testing yesterday, i seem to do it every couple of years because i have never had a satisfactory answer from anyone. I'm not looking for a null, i just want the bounced version to have the same 3dness as the original. The closest i've got to doing this is running out of my converters and recording back in. I just don't understand if it's a daw or nebula thing stopping them from sounding the same with a straight 24bit bounce. Just to see if it was the daw i also tried reaper and live, but they also suffer from the same problem.

Without wanting to sound bigheaded, it's obviously not something everyone can hear. I did a blind test (bounced vs. live) about a year ago with another producer, i picked the bounce while he was switching the two 10 times out of 11, from the other side of the room. He thought i was playing tricks on him as he couldn't hear the difference even after i told him what to listen for (transients and depth at the same time.)

Hopefully someone else has heard this. Maybe someone even has an intelligent answer for me. I need to get to the bottom of this.
---
www.domandroland.com
New singles with Noisia and Amon Tobin out soon.
domandroland
User Level I
User Level I

Re: why does rendering or bouncing lose mojo and 3dness in logic

Postby musicgreator » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:01 pm

I'm interested in this topic, i hope there is no difference because i often need offline bounce. One explanation might be your digital clock. I imagine that the clock isn't used in offline bounce but since there seem to be so big differences between clocks, that might be the reason. Other people claim, there was no difference after a null test but that might be a different story for nebula.
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby FrankydT » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:46 pm

Does it happen to you even in online bounces?
It's more slow, but I suggest this method
FrankydT
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby lordnielson » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:50 pm

Maybe Nebula doesn't cycle it's samples when bouncing offline. Did you try realtime bouncing ?
Edit: Same as the above reply I just realise. 8-)
lordnielson

Postby futur2 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:17 pm

to late here :P but the first thing i tought was also realtime bouncing...
futur2

Postby domandroland » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:27 pm

I tried online and offline bounce and different dithering too.

I did figure out is that routing the track with plugins on to a bus and recording using that bus as an input always retains more than a bounce. Annoyingly the best in terms of retaining 3d and vibe seems to be going out the converters and back in.

As some nebula programs are not static in essence
as far as the nulling thing goes, i don't understand this:

Drum track with input channels, eq's, tape and mixbuss bounced or recorded and phase flipped doesn't null.

Drum track with input channels, eq's, tape and mixbuss copied to another track and phase flipped does null.

My conclusion is that it is definately something to do with rendering or recording. The clock thing sounds interesting, but have had many interfaces over the years and have always had this problem.
---
www.domandroland.com
domandroland
User Level I
User Level I

Postby domandroland » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:35 pm

also i notice when looking at voxengo span doing some of these tests
that doing a straight bounce on a file with no plugins inserted gets a perfect null all the way down as far as the analyser goes, but as soon as you insert any type of plug in, even just a gain, a noisefloor appears, that looks like dither. (i.e something added by the bounce that wasn't there before) It's just below the 24bit threshold, but it made me wonder whether it's cumalative, so if you had 5 or 6 plugs chained on that track it could edge it's way up, interact with the track itself and be the cause of the difference.
---
www.domandroland.com
domandroland
User Level I
User Level I

Postby exrovite » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:24 pm

I agree with domandroland.
I used to think it was my ear fooling me into thinking there was a loss in quality wheneve I bounced something down.

But I am now certain about this loss in quality when i particularly bounce any track i have processed with nebular down.

This is because the difference is so big. The track seems to loose some of its fluidity and bouncyness. sounds flat and very 2D in nature.

I have also notice this with other plugins as well so I know Nebula is not the culprit.

To get around this I have been routing my tracks back and re-recording effected tracks. Fortunately my sound card RME Fireface400 allows you to do this sort of routing without having to go out of the interface.

I must say that i used to notice this sort of difference in bounced tracks right back when i used to use Sound blaster cards.

I am glad sombody else has noticed.
exrovite
User Level II
User Level II

Postby musicgreator » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:33 pm

By going out of the converter and back in, you actually record what you heard through your converter with might add something to the sound.
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Definity » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:58 pm

well my main DAW aint Logic it is cubase, but what fileformat are you councing out in and what quality? also check bit depth.
Definity

Next

Return to Working with Nebula