Login

Sample manipulation

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Sample manipulation

Postby Martinez » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:00 am

I have a weird question that I have wanted to ask for quite a while. Is it possible to manipulate the actual samples to make hybrid libraries?

Example: could you have the sound of one compressor but with the behavior of another?
Or could you manipulate a pultec to have a hi or low shelf?
It seems kind of strange that we are in the digital world, but we have the limitations of analogue.

I just thought it was an interesting question is all.
Martinez

Re: Sample manipulation

Postby Benjaminjo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:59 pm

I'm thinking the same. Could not care less for authentic behaviour or workflow. The only thing that matters is the sound and once those samples are digitized one could create whatever he wants.
The problem is the market, and those who believe if you mix with E*I stuff you get instant Beatles success. All these plugins recreating the same vintage gear are basically basing sales on well known names in the industry because of that. And Acustica is doing the same, and they are right to do so, I'm not blaming at all, they need money. But also I see an opportunity here, to make something new, something that never existed, to bridge the gap between a modern workflow and the perfect sound. I dream a modular workflow, a library of dynamic sampled individual components or stages, like various transformers, output stages, valves, gain reductions, op amps etc and having a modular frame (eg Reaktor) where you hook those together and create new toys everytime, you could swap the gain reduction of an 1176 with the harmonic character of a Fairchild, or even go further and create a completely new kind of compressor using all dynamically sampled components.
Maybe I should just built it. :)
Benjaminjo
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Support » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:55 pm

Possible: Yes.
Available: No.

bmanic reported good result running Titanium Comp library in Nebula3 Server without preamp emulation and with side-chain.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby Martinez » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:16 am

I guess what I was asking was, are we only ever going to have gear emulations or will there ever be better than really emulations?

For example, if a piece of gear was known for it's warmth, could it be made warmer than it is in real life?
could the punchy be made punchier?
Martinez

Postby giancarlo » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:05 am

we are already doing it. We'll do it more...
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Martinez » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:06 pm

That's awesome, but can you be a little more specific?
Martinez

Return to Working with Nebula