Login

How to use CUDA?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

How to use CUDA?

Postby Patrick Koller » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi,
I've read on the Acustica homepage that the whole Acqua engine uses CUDA-support.
(http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... Itemid=247)

I have a nvidia geforce gt 640 grafik card that should support CUDA. So does the CUDA Multi-Threading Support automatically work when I install an Acqua plugin?
Or do i have to activate it somehow with the CUDA software found here :?: https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads

And if so, is this CUDA 6.5 version already supported by acustica? :?

I would be glad if there's a manual showing how to do this or someone could explain it to me! :D
Thanks for the help!
Patrick Koller
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: How to use CUDA?

Postby nonstandardryder » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:56 pm

I'm curious about this as well, I think my macbook pro with nvidia gfx card supports it.
nonstandardryder

Postby jorismak » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:40 pm

Cuda is a bit hit-and-miss. If it works, it only works on very specific Nebula programs (like very long reverbs).

I think that it only works OK-ish on kernels of 100ms (or 150ms) and longer, and all the kernels in the preset must be of the same length.

Cuda 6.5 is not supported (yet), there is a 'bridge' for 5.0 and 6.0. If you install the correct Cuda toolkit from nvidia, and then install the correct CudaBridge from Acustica, you can change the algorithm to the cuda-version in the Nebula config (on the 'MAST' page, there is an option 'OPT FREQD' which defaults to '11 IPPS ch 2Mono' (use intel-optimized PPS math library, default, fast, specially on newer Core i5/i7 machines with AVX and such). If you have the NebulaBridge installed correctly you can change it to '15 CUDA ac 2Mono'. If there is no blinking '!' in front of it (even after saving and reloading Nebula / DAW) it should be working.

The latest Cuda bridge versions that I know of are here: https://app.box.com/s/26nb62g082gmqc21ublw (from this thread from when they were in beta: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28035)

Try for yourself if it actually helps. (At least under Windows) it's advisable to make a separate version / 'nebsetup' for Nebula with the CUDA config. That way you can pick Nebula, Nebula Reverb, Nebula Reverb-CUDA from the plugin list in your DAW and try / mix them out.

If you can't get it working, read the files in the Cuda bridge file, read the Cuda thread, or maybe the most important one: Reach support on the ticketing system :).
jorismak

Postby Patrick Koller » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:11 pm

thank you very much for your answer!
Patrick Koller
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Martinez » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:34 pm

I still think it would be a shame to abandon cuda.
It is still in it's infancy.
Martinez

Postby giancarlo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:40 pm

we didn't abandon it. We'll be back on cuda soon. Atm we have too many exciting things to do

You missed compression and now we have. You miss ligh cpu/lower quality effect and you'll have. You miss nebula4 and we are working on that. Faster we can't go...
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby ianc » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:47 pm

I didn't realise 6.5 wasn't supported yet
I've got 6.5 installed and running without a flashing light, I just renamed the cudart dll's to what the system said it hadn't found, so no idea what it's running in.
seems to work ok when playing back a reverb thats 11% on my quad core with cuda apparently running, it just stutters away when I change OPT FREQD back to ipps
it's still a mystery how this should be properly setup and I could be doing something very wrong so I'm suggesting don't do same in case your pc blows up, I wouldn't like that.
A sub forum for Cuda on its own would help finding info a lot easier, same with nebula server, I've plenty of questions but finding the relevant thread is hit or miss at best with the limitations of the search
I wish I could drum half as well with two hands as one of Terry Bozzio's feet
ianc
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Patrick Koller » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:54 am

ok, too bad the cuda support is only for reverbs, if i did understand this right, because my magentas are doing this...
Attachments
Unbenannt-1.jpg
CPU-Studio One Screenshot
Patrick Koller
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby RJHollins » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:37 pm

Here's another CUDA question.

I had installed an earlier CUDA version [years ago], but a recent computer issue has broken CUDA causing a CUDART.DLL to not be found every time a NEbula loads.

Before I mess more with my system ... I wonder.

Since I have NO plans to use CUDA with Nebula, is there a 'simple' solution to have Nebula NOT look for CUDA ... thereby avoiding the error message ???
Something like changing an XML setting ????

Thanks for any guidance.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:06 pm

uninstall the Cuda bridge I think.

In my nebula repository there are a few (or one) cudartxxxxx.dll files. Delete them / move them out of the way?
jorismak

Next

Return to Working with Nebula