Login

For people who think nebula does not compress

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: For people who think nebula does not compress

Postby Sheikyearbouti » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:26 pm

Yes, Dry/Wet control for parallel processing on all agressive comps will be great to have. I can't wait to try this thing on drum OHs or Room mics...
--
Nikolay Georgiev
http://georgievsound.com/
Sheikyearbouti

Postby kindafishy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:57 pm

Sheikyearbouti wrote:Yes, Dry/Wet control for parallel processing on all agressive comps will be great to have. I can't wait to try this thing on drum OHs or Room mics...

For you guys requesting this, doesn't your DAW already do this?

REAPER has this built in for every plugin for example, and I am guessing that other DAW's do as well?
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Sheikyearbouti » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:07 am

Yes, I know that you can do in every DAW. But in some is more complex than in other. And when you want to do parallel compression (I do it a lot and on many tracks), this will not only save time, but it will also save you some clutter in the project. There is just no point to use busses if you can have it in the plug-in. At lease this is the way I see it...

[EDIT] Reaper has many options that other DAWs don't.
--
Nikolay Georgiev
Sheikyearbouti

Postby jorismak » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:31 am

Thing is (just thinking on the top of my head here) that if you use Reaper's method of dry/wet control on every plugin (or do it yourself by bussing a dry and wet track), you also dry/wet the whole analog-effect of the input stage for example.

If the aqua plugin exists of a preamp-sampling and a compression-sampling (like a lot seem to do), wouldn't it be preferred to have 100% wet on the preamp-effect and then have dry/wet control for the compression effect? Something like this needs to be in the plugin itself (or you have two separate plugins for the preamp stage and the compression stage).

The whole point of Nebula is to get the authentic sweetness of the gear, and if you use DAW tricks to dry/wet that effect, it's kinda counter-productive in my opinion :).
jorismak

Postby nonstandardryder » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:54 am

jorismak wrote:Thing is (just thinking on the top of my head here) that if you use Reaper's method of dry/wet control on every plugin (or do it yourself by bussing a dry and wet track), you also dry/wet the whole analog-effect of the input stage for example.

If the aqua plugin exists of a preamp-sampling and a compression-sampling (like a lot seem to do), wouldn't it be preferred to have 100% wet on the preamp-effect and then have dry/wet control for the compression effect? Something like this needs to be in the plugin itself (or you have two separate plugins for the preamp stage and the compression stage).

The whole point of Nebula is to get the authentic sweetness of the gear, and if you use DAW tricks to dry/wet that effect, it's kinda counter-productive in my opinion :).

Good point.
nonstandardryder

Postby kindafishy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:15 am

Very interesting thought. Potentially, although I am not really sure exactly what happens with the REAPER wet/dry knob. I personally don't use it. I also do a lot of parallel compression, but I always bus it. A wet/dry doesn't give the option to put other FX directly before and after the parallel FX and it also doesn't give the options to solo just the parallel FX, so I find it much too limiting for how I like to work.

I think that using buses to do parallel compression would be the same as hardware. On a console, I am imagining a patch from one channel to another and a compressor sitting on the other channel. Wet is controlled by the fader. I'm not sure how doing that in a DAW as opposed to a console will affect the amount of analog goodness passing through - it would be the same, no?
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Sheikyearbouti » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:48 am

There are many way to do it on a real console, but it depends on the console and what are you after (pre/post fader, pre/post other processing and gain, etc.). If it is an inline console you could sometimes even use the channel/monitor paths in parallel. But in any case - you will not get the sound of the compressor's colour (preamp) twice.

Joris is right that in Nebula if the split is taken after the preamp (if there is such in the particular program and the preamp is placed before the compressor), than you could have the colour of the unit on both of the streams.

However, I don't think that would be the case even in the hardware world with devices like the S*L remakes that do have built dry/wet. I would imagine there the split is taken at the earliest stage to avoid colouration! And also to have it in the hardware, really makes life a lot easier.

Similarly, my comment re the software world really was mostly from the point of convenience. With such control you can try the result of parallel compression in a second. With busing takes more time and if you don't like the effect, than you need to clean the bus... maybe some people will argue that on the contrary an extra slide/knob will only clutter the plug-in.
--
Nikolay Georgiev
Sheikyearbouti

Postby jorismak » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:09 pm

In hardware world, if you have a compressor that doe NOT have dry/wet or something, you would use the console with busses, and then you're doing the same: mixing a dry signal with a wet signal so you're also dry/wet-mixing the 'analog sweetness'.

But if you have a (more modern?) compressor unit that has a dry/wet control on it, I think that would leave the input stage unaffected. It's a hardware device, so it has an input and output stage (with transformers or something, hypothetical here) and the dry/wet knob on the unit would affect only the compression, so leaving the input/output stage unaffected.

So in the Nebula world, the old devices you have to do the same as in the real world: Use the busses from your DAW to get dry/wet. Yes, that also dry/wet-mixes the input/output stage of the unit, but the same would happen in real life if you use a console to do the mixing.

In Nebula world on a modern unit, I don't think Nebula can (or will? I never say never these days with Acustica :P) actually sample the dry/wet control, but having a very common dry/wet knob/slider _on just the compression stage_ (leaving the input/output stage unaffected) will be very similar to the real units.

Wouldn't it be awesome to have the whole of the input/output chain of a vintage 1176 but be able to control the dry/wet effect of just the compression stage of it... :).
It's what I use with Gemini Audio's 1176 library now. It has a separate capture of the line-amp / harmonics, and a separate capture for the compression. So in Reaper I have two Nebula inserts. Reaper adds a little dry/wet control to each plugin you insert, so I can dry/wet-mix the compression stage without altering the harmonics before or after it.

In the end though, I normally bounce the compressed signal 100% wet and then use two tracks in my DAW (one 100% dry, one 100% wet) to mix-n-match, makes it possible to make simple adjustments later on, and using Gemini's 1176 library consumes too much resources for me to leave it on in realtime all the time :(.
jorismak

Postby SWAN » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:17 pm

I think Reaper stands a bit alone in that built in wet/dry feature...

Maybe I might buy patchwork for it...but otherwise yeah its busses....however it for example you want to compress each drum element - having a wet/dry is much easier than messing with busses...

If the aqua has the Pre Amp first then possibly the compressor could split the signal after....whether thats more authentic or not Im not sure...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula