Login

Mac+Protools HD

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Mac+Protools HD

Postby mertayy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:22 pm

Hi,

I recently met a mix/mastering engineer that works in Protools HD on Mac. He prefers to work with mostly analog equipment but curious about modern plug-in's.

I explained Nebula a little bit and he was very interested. Has anyone tryed working with Nebula on such system?

Depending on how good it works (crashing isn't acceptable) I'm going to recommend and help him on things about Nebula. Some time later he will separate his mastering chain on a pc based system but I'd like to know if he can use it without any problems with his current Mac+ Protools hd system.
mertayy

Re: Mac+Protools HD

Postby pat38 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:52 am

Hi
works as a wrapped vst in pt hd 8.04, with fxpansion wrapper vst to rtas...
Pb is all my wrapped vsts (acustica or others) show a blank white gui in pt: its a known fxpansion bug!

Fxpansion vst to au works fine in logic9 on mac latest (though you can't move the wrapped vst window around on the screen :/)

basically the fxpansion wrapper is a piece of s... workaround that works in logic, not that well in pt hd 8...

Any wav folders recorded in PT HD can still be processed (printed) offline with the nrgui pro renderer tool on mac, though

Hope this helps
pat38
User Level II
User Level II

Postby lordnielson » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:12 am

http://code.google.com/p/vstau/downloads/list

Download the latest revision. Window moves fine in Logic. Superior to the Fxpansion one in my opinion.
lordnielson

Postby mertayy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:42 pm

Hey guys thanks for the info!
mertayy

Postby tumburu » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:30 am

lordnielson wrote:http://code.google.com/p/vstau/downloads/list

Download the latest revision. Window moves fine in Logic. Superior to the Fxpansion one in my opinion.

Does the wrapped Nebula report correctly the latency? It was the only bug I noticed this wrapper to have.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby lordnielson » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:53 am

tumburu wrote:
Does the wrapped Nebula report correctly the latency? It was the only bug I noticed this wrapper to have.

I've had no latency issues with it. I'm on Logic Pro with a Lynx L22.
lordnielson

Postby tumburu » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:11 pm

Hmm, the last version crashes here, it won't even launch... The before last one generates incompatible AUs and also has a small problem buffer/latency related.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby greekpeet » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:29 am

I saw a post that it works 'fine' for Mac/Logic, very incorrect, and most times completely unusable for projects where time is relivant. Crashes, doesn't even load the program, latency isn't compensated, ect. Interesting though as it uses CPU cycles for some pre amps BUT doesn't affect the sound in any way... I wonder how many times and hours I've wasted to have stuff not render, but waste my time. Not very cool, and honestly the developer promised a working AU some months ago. Last excuse we got was he was 'tired' or on 'vacation'. Maybe it was for health reasons that I'm not aware of, but I'll still give the benefit of the doubt. These guys are passionate, and brilliant but basically if I told a customer sorry, I'm too 'tired' to fix what I said I would some months back, or I go on vacation when there are customers unable to use and work on the platform for months maybe I wouldn't go on vacation and get it done THEN. Maybe its a different culture/mentality there, who knows.

I'm totally moving away from trying to use Nebula as a mix platform on Mac. Its okay to use some tapes and stuff on the master bus, but its a shame as I've spent enough coin on Nebula, and supporting the third party devs for a UAD system that would actually work.

Sure 'the sound' but at the end of the day I'm not going to geek out and not be able to get work done.

:roll:
Last edited by greekpeet on Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby greekpeet » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:36 am

I would not recommend Nebula for OSX, as its already bit me recommended to a good friend of mine that has a ton of really nice gear we could have sampled. After two weeks of him monkeying around he gave up... The free version doesn't tell enough of the story in a real world environment (its fine for the PC) and its quite deceptive on the Mac with all these other wrappers. Its a mess.

Shame as there where a ton of really good analog filters and a project I wanted to start for the community.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby giancarlo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:23 am

currently working on au, not sure about rtas support. Protools will never be supported officially cause the lacking of delay compensation, we are in 2010 , I think adc should be a prerequisite now. Not sure about your preamp issue, maybe you should describe what you used ( it's too generic, I think there are more than 2000 emulations around). Free version is good for testing the stability of the system, we always recommend a test before buying. About crashes, I'm not sure about your case, the vst version is working pretty well, no open crashes from what I can see. Wrappers are wrappers, for this reason I suggest a test. Nebulacis sensible to ram usage, if you reach the limit (2 gigabytes is the limit for 32 bit systems, but the real limit is lower due to memory fragmentation) the system could be unstable (not only nebula runs out of resources, but also other applications)
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Next

Return to Working with Nebula