Login

Running Nebulas in DDMF Metaplugin / Plogue Bidule?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Running Nebulas in DDMF Metaplugin / Plogue Bidule?

Postby jus11 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:21 am

Any of you guys running Nebula in DDMF Metaplugin?
http://www.ddmf.eu/product.php?id=3

I am only beginning to think and test this through. But it seems that these, for instance, are (or at least should be) possible:

1) Make Nebula combo presets in Metaplugin. Say, quality EQs with two or three programs. Load all instances of the EQ to Metaplugin; save as a Metaplugin preset.

2) In a similar way, make a Clariphonic (HO AIR/Klaritizer) combo preset.

3) Or any combo of your basic Nebula chain...

4) Metaplugin comes with a "Crossover" frequency divider. Dear me, would I even be able to make a preset for a multiband Nebula compressor? :shock:

5) Metaplugin allows mixing wet/dry signal, no matter what plugin. So doesn't that mean that I can run any comp as a parallel compressor using only the insert? (Or that if I have an EQ which allows only 3 db steps, mixing wet and dry would make the steps not so steep?)

6) In theory, it should allow me to run 96.00 sampled Nebula programs in a 44.1 project. [Edit: erh, no, forget this one]

What do you think of that? Too good to be true?

Any tips or ideas?

PS. Basically, I am using Nebula 32 bit AU via 32 Lives in Logic X /Metaplugin inserts.
Last edited by jus11 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jus11
User Level IV
User Level IV

Re: Running Nebulas in DDMF Metaplugin

Postby jus11 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:28 am

By the way, Giancarlo and others, have I understood correctly that Nebula 4 will be more "rack-like" and should be able to cover examples 1-3? (But not 4-6?)
jus11
User Level IV
User Level IV

Re: Running Nebula's in DDMF Metaplugin

Postby RJHollins » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:36 am

I've used 2 different 'chainers' ... Metaplugin and Plogue Bidule.

Both work for the things you mention.

I have favored Bidule [to be honest], as I prefer the way it wires up, the extra modules included [like groups], and also the ability to use the 'replace' feature. This is very handy when I want to build a new chain for a different Nebula series.

Additionally, I use this [Bidule] as my fx chain when I use my NVC [MIDI] controllers of Nebula. Although I use REAPER most often, I now don't need any special filter or routing plugs ... plus the saved chain can now be used in other DAWs.

I'm on PC [32-bit], and this has all worked quite well. I know Metaplug has had a series of updates [but it has now been some time since I've used it].

I know this might not help much, other than to say that the 'concept' is do-able. The routing options for serial/parallel are all there, and me likes ;)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Running Nebulas in DDMF Metaplugin

Postby jus11 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:48 am

Thanks for the input, I have not (yet) tried Bidule, it sounds good (though it seems to be twice as expensive as well). Metaplugin indeed needs a "replace" command for its modules... and I have not found any grouping choices either. The right-click list which saves your previous plugin choices is handy though.

EDIT: I changed the title of this thread, it now includes Bidule, as it seems to me that there is a common ground to think through the uses of these plugins.
jus11
User Level IV
User Level IV

Re: Running Nebulas in DDMF Metaplugin / Plogue Bidule?

Postby mathias » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:15 am

i didn't check for a while, but there have been issues with metaplugin, not recalling the right samplerate if other than 44.1 khz.
this resulted in having to go through all instances of nebula in all metaplugins, and press reload for the programs, when reloading a project.
you should test for that, to be sure it is working.

metaplugin also works as a nice wrapper between pluginformats (vst to au in osx, can load vst 3 in vst2 only hosts in win/osx, and some more ...)

another choice you could look at, would be patchwork from blue cat audio.

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby mathias » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:24 am

for your option 4) check out "mb 7mixer" from blue cat audio. this looks like the dream tool for multiband freaks.

don't know exactly what you are thinking about with 96 khz programs in 44.1 khz projects. afaik this could only mean the oversampling feature of metaplugin, which introduces sounddegradation like all oversamplings are doing. i doubt this is a better option than the internal resampling of nebula, which is quite good imho.

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby jus11 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:28 am

Yes I did test the Blue Cat mb-7 and Patchwork. Seemed unstable in Logic and not so flexible as the modular solution (also far more expensive).

Internal resampling: does it work that way round, too? I know that I can use a 96 program in Nebula while working in 44.1 bit, but is not the end result then just 44.1 when bouncing?
jus11
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby mathias » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:39 am

i don't really understand your question.
when you are working in a 44.1 khz project, your result is always 44.1 khz.
or did you mean something else?

please give an example.

mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby jus11 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:56 am

Yes, taking a closer look, it is "2x oversampling". So it seems there was no idea in option 6 (I was imagining something like this difference: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-sho ... rates.html ) (but I am not an expert in this, as you see).
jus11
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby mathias » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:36 am

i am not too concerned about the internal resampling of nebula programs.
it sounds good to me on all the programs i use.
i did a comparison once on how it sounds, when i recorded and mixed in 96 khz with a nebula program and then resampled to 44,1 khz at the end.

my conclusion at that time was, that the soundquality was overall a little better, when heard in 96 khz, but melted away with the downsampling to 44.1 khz. even with high quality resampling choices.

that said, there may be aliasing artefacts with some plugin processing and also with software instruments, that could be made less hearable with working on higher samplerates. but that depends on many variables, so you have to try and compare yourself.
and with a proper developed plugin/software instrument, they shouldn't be there/hearable anyway.

i would relax in that regard and focus on the music, much more enjoyment ... :D

just my two cents,

mathias

mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Next

Return to Working with Nebula