Login

Bluecat Patchwork | OSX 10.9.4 | Nebula

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Bluecat Patchwork | OSX 10.9.4 | Nebula

Postby SWAN » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:26 pm

marcpl wrote:+1 for patchwork. i'm on pc/pt11 and I've tried pretty much every option for using nebula in PT over the years and patchwork is BY FAR the best option.

the fxpansion adapter was VERY unstable and so is nomad factory's magma...constant crashes.

i'm so happy with patchwork that even if nebula went AAX I would probably still choose to run the vst version in patchwork. i'm not even sure that i'll have any need for nebula4. of course i'll have to wait and see what N4 is all about once more info is available.

if you're a PT and nebula user i'd say that patchwork is a necessity.

PS: I also own BCA's MB-7 mixer which has the exact same vst hosting as patchwork and offers some other cool features for using nebula.

cool. I cant believe I did not fully know about patch work. I feel a bit stupid. I cant help wondering if other users of LPX and PT might not know...

The funny thing is that it really reminds me of Slate upcoming Virtual Mix Rack - so if Im feeling naughty I might have to make a post on gearslutz talking about Nebula Mix Rack ;)

What do you use MB-7 for different to Patch Work?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby starfugger » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:32 am

this is swell!

question, please. how is the delay compensation working in PT11. i have worked and tested Nebula on PT11 for a month and nothing. plugged in using a demo version of MMDF and i'd be fine with just one nebula in there. but as soon as i add more, heavy delay galore. it just wouldn't work whatever i did.
Mac Pro OSX 10.9.3
8-core, stock 6GB memory
Cubase 7.5 64-bit
Nebula 3 Server
starfugger
User Level II
User Level II

Postby marcpl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:15 pm

SWAN wrote:What do you use MB-7 for different to Patch Work?

you can use different nebula programs on different frequency bands.
you can do some really cool things like use 3 or more different nebula EQs (or comps, or eq+comp) on different bands. if you have an EQ that you love on the HIs but not on the LOWs, no problem. use what you want on only the parts of the signal that you want.

another example is HO has some great libraries but some filter out too much bass for my taste so i'll use the MB-7 to apply the program to some bands but not the low frequencies.

the possibilities are really endless because the crossovers are so flexible and accurate. factor in the stereo, level and panning options and you can really get creative with using nebula.

another general benefit is that a lot of developers have been neglecting the audiosuite side of things so you can use patchwork or the MB-7 to use audiosuite for AAX plugins that didn't include it.

starfugger wrote:this is swell!

question, please. how is the delay compensation working in PT11. i have worked and tested Nebula on PT11 for a month and nothing. plugged in using a demo version of MMDF and i'd be fine with just one nebula in there. but as soon as i add more, heavy delay galore. it just wouldn't work whatever i did.

DDMF metaplugin?
there's a PT11 bug where ADC isn't working properly with multi-output instruments but I don't see how that would affect metaplugin. unless you're using metaplugin in a session where you're also using a multi-out instrument.
the fix is being worked on but didn't make it into the 11.2 release. but it should be fixed with the next release.
but according to the metaplugin page it does have full ADC.

anyway, hope this info helps someone.

regards,
marco
marcpl
User Level X
User Level X

Postby starfugger » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:44 pm

Yes, i've read DDMF's specs and all. turned it upside down, but alas, in practice i got tons of delay when plugging in 2 or more instances of nebula. i've read some posts where people where successful with this setup but i wasn't as lucky. this was why i went the cubase route. i'd very much appreciate it if i could still make nebula work on PT as i work much faster there.
Mac Pro OSX 10.9.3
8-core, stock 6GB memory
Cubase 7.5 64-bit
Nebula 3 Server
starfugger
User Level II
User Level II

Postby marcpl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:03 pm

are you sure you're using the latest version of metaplugin? I know that metaplugin was having issues with certain plugins not reporting latency accurately. maybe this applies with nebula?

have you tried running the latest versions of both nebula and metaplugin?

you can try a free demo of patchwork and If you ask me it's a real steal at $50. I haven't had any issues with ADC and sometimes i'm using chains made up of 8 nebula instances.
marcpl
User Level X
User Level X

Postby cpwade » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:49 am

Here's what I get in a very stressed mix and it's very different with BCA seemingly correctly compensating. I'll let the experts figure this out.
Meta is awesome and yes I hit the PDA compensate. No idea. Note the selected track and Pt 11 compensate varies wildly, and is reflected audibly.
Last edited by cpwade on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cpwade

Postby cpwade » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:55 am

BCA.tiff
BCA correct
BCA.tiff (982.58 KiB) Viewed 763 times
Meta.tiff
Meta Wonky?
Meta.tiff (919.24 KiB) Viewed 763 times
Looks like the page cut it off, here's a reduced version.
cpwade

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula