Login

Bluecat Patchwork | OSX 10.9.4 | Nebula

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Bluecat Patchwork | OSX 10.9.4 | Nebula

Postby cpwade » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:18 am

I've seen lots of interest by way of post hits from the osx crowd upwards of couple hundred and more, so there is lots of exploring going on with the mac folks and newcomers.

I run Mavericks 10.9.4 with Pro Tools 11 AAX and Logic X. Here's the quick fix; It loads nebula effortlessly on either platform as well as VST and AU not ported to AAX quite yet. Upside is that in PT 11 I have all my unported AU's and even Nebula loading like a champ with savable channel strips to boot.

Where 32 Lives comes in is for conversion of 32 bit to 64 bit architecture if you have any of those still. Like Nebula AU, except I really did not need it after remembering I have Neb VST 64.. oops.

I'm not a big fan of playing around with settings and agonizing once I'm in. I want to record, mix and go.

When I finally got of my butt and bought Patchworks it changed the game. Nice to be able to load the same channel strip in Logic and then again in PT 11 as I work through those processes. Most vendors have updated and added AAX but many have not. Some just never will and that's ok. I get the heart ache in that path.

Like many here from the old days, every year or so we add our new work flows. This is mine and it's the shit. Best ever. With the new nebula server releases it's really slick.
Last edited by cpwade on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
cpwade

Re: Bluecat Patchwork | OSX 10.9.4 | Nebula

Postby SWAN » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:16 pm

nice tips - thanks for reminding me of patchworks. Bummer to also have to buy 32lives...

quick question - does the mix knob work well with nebula programs - no phase issues? And you can save channel strips in patchworks - in Logic X? Seems pretty neat...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby cpwade » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:05 am

Hi Swan, yes you can save custom channel strips independent of the DAW directly in Patchworks and call up the VST/AU regardless as long as they are 64 bit.

Another upside in Protools is Patchworks loads as audio suite meaning you can process all of your untweakable Nebula libraries i.e. consoles and tape emu's and directly treat the tracks in one go-all off line and on the fly. Takes about 20 second to batch 70 tracks real time- similar to a "nebula man on the fly" I just realized that today during a session. Killer.

Mix knob- it has that and can run serial or parallel, I don't see any significant phase issues as of yet, I use the blend tools constantly. It shows no smearing but it's a bit early to say. I'll report back with updates as I'm diving into my 1st mix with the new tools. I've set up the channels/busses/master/neb treatments and saved them, now to try that in real life.

Sorry if I sound like a happy kid at an English Christmas, but seriously, this is working great!
Last edited by cpwade on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cpwade

Postby SWAN » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:18 am

that does sound very smart with Pro Tools...I wonder if the wider market knows this...I suppose it takes quite a dedicated user to buy the 2 extra programs...but it seems like there are advantages to using Patch Work aside from formats...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby cpwade » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:38 am

Downside:

Too many choices.
Easy to over do it with plugins.
Without restraint, will bring computer to it's knees in 1 second flat.

No crashes though.
A/B'd a "test the toy" mix and I made an over saturated smeared mess pretty quickly.

:P

Note: Nebula VST loads nicely without the use of 32 lives and any conversion.
cpwade

Postby SWAN » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:28 pm

cpwade wrote:Downside:

Too many choices.
Easy to over do it with plugins.
Without restraint, will bring computer to it's knees in 1 second flat.

No crashes though.
A/B'd a "test the toy" mix and I made an over saturated smeared mess pretty quickly.

:P

Note: Nebula VST loads nicely without the use of 32 lives and any conversion.

oh yes of course...I have 64bit VST...I forget because I never use it in Logic...I wonder if I can test aqua in patchwork also...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby cpwade » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:24 pm

They have a generous demo, perhaps the best way to tell. They do sales randomly, last one was at $40USD.

I've regrouped and trimmed the channel strips to Nebula and the long overdue Slate AAX.

Digging the Neb 64 VST in Logic, it's better than the converted AU.
I think that's the takeaway here.

Glad to see Stillwell back in the game, loving them all over again.
cpwade

Postby Support » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:34 am

Patchworks is a different product from 32Lives. Patchworks is a format adapter and 32Lives is an architecture adapter. Reviewing the price and features, Patchworks is the perfect product for Nebula3 Server customer in OSX, you can load Nebula3 Server VST2 x64 OSX in Logic 10 and in Pro Tools 10/11.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:01 pm

I have now discovered patchworks thanks to the OP - and can say - if you are a Nebula server customer - it appears to be the perfect solution to Logic X. Indeed - it adds very useful functionality for any Nebula user - mix control and input gain controls - as well as the ability to create custom strips with multiple instances of Nebula.

Although it initially looks over-complicated with pre, post and parallel slots - you can easily simplify it to a straight forward 1 to 8 slot rack with input gain and mix knob. Here I have it set up with a strip containing 2 Aqua and 2 Nebula. They have to be the 64bit versions of course. I think I will go thru the plugins in my beta test role now and report - however - it seems as if they work as intended on initial brief tests.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 12.56.51.png
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby marcpl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:52 pm

+1 for patchwork. i'm on pc/pt11 and I've tried pretty much every option for using nebula in PT over the years and patchwork is BY FAR the best option.

the fxpansion adapter was VERY unstable and so is nomad factory's magma...constant crashes.

i'm so happy with patchwork that even if nebula went AAX I would probably still choose to run the vst version in patchwork. i'm not even sure that i'll have any need for nebula4. of course i'll have to wait and see what N4 is all about once more info is available.

if you're a PT and nebula user i'd say that patchwork is a necessity.

PS: I also own BCA's MB-7 mixer which has the exact same vst hosting as patchwork and offers some other cool features for using nebula.
marcpl
User Level X
User Level X

Next

Return to Working with Nebula