Login

technology goes on, a little teaser

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: technology goes on, a little teaser

Postby markrandallpixley » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:15 am

Thanks Giancardo....was a bit odd...loaded both files into my DAW to look see...processed file starts a little different place so I had to move them around until the wave forms lined up so I could see what was going on...seems the processed file was a small amount quieter
...by .1 db...and was letting more bass into the mix...more dynamic for sure...but was also clamping the highs a bit...so "punchy" was the effect...when I look at the wave files it comes out like a low pass filter but moving stuff mainly in the -12 db range...things outside of that were not as affected...other than limiting the high percussives a little...definitely smoother in the +/- 12 db spectrum...time domain stuff for sure...
markrandallpixley
User Level I
User Level I

Postby giancarlo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:47 am

the exercise here is a bit different: you have compression over compression and a different shape for the whole wav file without artifacts
For the sake of knowledge, this is a numeric compressor. It can't modulate highs or low frequencies, the harmonic response is completely flat. If you hear a different balance, it was created by the only gain modulation
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby jorismak » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:37 am

Mercado_Negro wrote:Enrique has tried to help you twice in the past days and although the answers haven't satisfied your questions I think there are better ways to reply like a simple "thanks" or just ignore. I also replied on one thread you were discussing CPU load and you seemed to feel attacked by this.

I think a better attitude is in order, my friend.

Yeah, I know it feels that way, I'm perfectly aware. Thought for a moment before hitting submit. But he is 'support', and when he writes a comment that steers completely the wrong way from the topic, or he just misunderstands the topic than that must be said.
It's not to attack him, it's because he is posting as 'support' he should be the last to confuse a thread or reply to the wrong topic.
Misunderstanding, not finding the right words is all human behavior and I'm pray to it at many times. But his posts as support 'stick' and people knowing less can take it for blind truth, so I think a little more care should be taking in comments with the support account.

I know it's all in the interest of helping people (and I still point out, 80% of my posts are about helping others with questions, so it's not like i'm here only to rage on people or something), but it hasn't been the first time where a reply is done that seems to address a topic that is completely different from what people were discussing... like only the first sentence is read, or he only picks up on certain terms and keywords while not reading the sentences.

So.. it wasn't a direct attack. Just... Giancarlo already answered it, with a single clear sentence. Why respond with something that explains PROGRATE/RATE stuff, that doesn't answer what I was asking?

Anyway, like I said earlier, I think it's awesome they are still searching for ways to get more out of the existing Nebula tech. If the new envelope followers enhance the compression behavior to a point where limiters might be a possibility, and users can use those compression-libraries without having to pre-configure a 'special' compressor-version, that means more easy of use for everybody. I can only applaud that.
jorismak

Postby Support » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:02 pm

is this any different than the 'nebula compressor' version-approach people like Gemini are already using now? They already had a prograte of 0.016 ms right? Or am I thinking of something different? (The 'RATE' in Edit->GLOB says 0.041ms on those programs).

Is this a further enhancement of this trick? Or an official way? Or something completely different?

No. Gemini or any other 3rd developer are not developing anything, they are using technology that already exists. There is not trick but there are new envelope followers. Anything new, but due not other company is using AA approach, you can call "new" to a arithmetic from the last century (Volterra diagonal...).
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby flaviusr » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:09 pm

Nebula is the present and the future is promising :idea: , glad I'm here :D
Dual boot /LGA 2011 /i7 3820 /32 GB /GA-X79S-UP5 / osX 10.9.5 - Win 10
Mac Book Pro 2.4 Ghz / 8 Gb / osX 10.9.5