Login

Nebula Repository, 32-bit and 64-bit Windows compatibility

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula Repository, 32-bit and 64-bit Windows compatibility

Postby rtownsend » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:05 pm

Hello,

I've been using Nebula in 32-bit Windows for some time with the commercial library only. I've recently installed Win7 64-bit in a new partition, so I now have 32-bit Windows XP and 64-bit Windows 7 on the same computer. I installed the 64-bit software on the Windows 7 partition, and I believe the license file needed to go into the nebula repository directory. So, my questions are, have I disabled my 32-bit Windows XP Nebula usage (I hesitate to use it without knowing), and also am I good to go on buying and installing 3rd party libraries into the nebula repository (I'd like to use them with both the 32-bit install and the 64-bit install)? I'm about to spend several hundred dollars on 3rd party stuff, and would like to know in advance the status of my system. I believe I read somewhere that you aren't supposed to use a previously installed nebula repository in a new install, but not sure where I read it...
rtownsend
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Nebula Repository, 32-bit and 64-bit Windows compatibili

Postby mtalavera » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:06 pm

I have used both the 32-bit version and 64-bit version on the same computer under the same Windows 7 64-bit installation. At the time I was using Pro Tools 10, which is 32-bit (and loading Nebula through Nomad Factory MAGMA), and Reaper 64-bit. The libraries will load in either one of them as they are not dependent on the bit version of Nebula. Both versions have the XML files that point to your nebula installation directory, by default called something like nebulatemprepository.

You may need to authorized your version again in case the authorization file is hard drive and/or OS specific. You can do that I know now through the Dashboard (I'd use the latest version of Mozilla FireFox for that as IE has issues for me). I believe there is an init file that will go in both the Programs and Vector directories along with all your other 3rd Party Libraries (doing this from memory while at work). No harm in just trying to copy over your repository to your new partition and give it a try. It may just work. You may want to delete the contents of your temp directory and let Nebula rebuild the database.

Great to hear you will be supporting the 3rd Party developers. Just these past few weeks there have been amazing new offerings and I know there are more to come shortly.
mtalavera

Postby rtownsend » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:59 pm

I guess my question is: can I use the same NebulaRepository directory for both the Windows XP 32-bit installation and the Windows 7 64-bit installation. My NebulaRepository directory is on yet a 3rd partition, separate from both Windows installs (it's on a Samples partition, which is a separate hard drive dedicated to samples).

mtalavera, I think this is different that what you are doing?
rtownsend
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby giancarlo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:08 pm

no you cant. You could share a repository for all programs for exception of init files using alternativedatapath directive in nebula xml
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby mtalavera » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:16 pm

rtownsend wrote:I guess my question is: can I use the same NebulaRepository directory for both the Windows XP 32-bit installation and the Windows 7 64-bit installation. My NebulaRepository directory is on yet a 3rd partition, separate from both Windows installs (it's on a Samples partition, which is a separate hard drive dedicated to samples).

mtalavera, I think this is different that what you are doing?

Yes, that is definitely different than mine as I was on a single hard drive on a single Windows 7 installation, just having both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Nebula installed in their respective directories. Then both of those shared the same nebulatemprepository directory, also located on the same hard drive. That setup definitely does work.

As I pointed out you may need to do a separate authorization since you are running the 64-bit version on a separate Operating System. You should ask Acustica Support (or maybe Giancarlo can clarify here) if that is the case. If you do, then you probably can not have the authorization init files in the same location for both the XP and Win7 authorizations since the file name is the same.

So assuming you even have to authorize again, I have used the alternativedatapath successfully basically duplicating everything in my nebulatemprepository. Or you just create a separate custom directory like nebula64bitrepository. I don't think Nebula cares what the name is as long as your XML files are pointing to the correct place. That would mean you would have basically double the 3rd Party libraries, not a big deal if you have plenty of hard drive space, just meaning you have to have the Vector and Program files in two different locations in order to allow for the different authorization files. Then for all your 64-bit version XML files, you have to point to the correct repository directory, either using the DATAPATH or ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH elements.

So you may need to do a bit of experimentation to get the process correct.
mtalavera

Postby Support » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:01 pm

believe the license file needed to go into the nebula repository directory.

Correct.

I guess my question is: can I use the same NebulaRepository directory for both the Windows XP 32-bit installation and the Windows 7 64-bit installation

I can not.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby rtownsend » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:02 am

So, I tried the 32-bit install, and it didn't work, as you indicated it shouldn't now. It just displayed the Init page after attempting to load a reverb preset.

Now, I went back to the Windows 7 64-bit install, and reverbs are now all crackly. So, it looks like just running the 32-bit install hosed my 64-bit install.

Please tell me the steps to take so I can get both the 32-bit and 64-bit installations running properly.

I can take this to a support ticket, if you want. I just thought others should take note not to do what I did.

I want to purchase AlexBs MFC, MFeQ, and MFD, and also SilkEQ, but must get this problem resolved first.
rtownsend
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby giancarlo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:20 am

a fresh installation resets DSPBUFFER
Increase it in mast page, push save
Yes open a ticket, enrique will help you step after step

In general for running the same lib in two systems you need two different init files located in two different repositories. You could share the lib using alternativedatapath. It is a manual fix, for this reason we suggest to duplicate the whole library, it is easier
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Support » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:22 am

rtownsend wrote:So, I tried the 32-bit install, and it didn't work, as you indicated it shouldn't now. It just displayed the Init page after attempting to load a reverb preset.

Now, I went back to the Windows 7 64-bit install, and reverbs are now all crackly. So, it looks like just running the 32-bit install hosed my 64-bit install.

Please tell me the steps to take so I can get both the 32-bit and 64-bit installations running properly.

I can take this to a support ticket, if you want. I just thought others should take note not to do what I did.

I want to purchase AlexBs MFC, MFeQ, and MFD, and also SilkEQ, but must get this problem resolved first.

Send us a support ticket..
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby rtownsend » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:16 pm

This has been resolved via a support ticket.

Thank you,

Robert
rtownsend
User Level 0
User Level 0

Return to Working with Nebula