Login

saving CPU with less nebula instances

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

saving CPU with less nebula instances

Postby sfabs » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi There

Bit of a newbie question really...

Love Nebula and using it loads... this is the problem, freezing millions of tracks to free up CPU to keep working.

I love Alex B console emulations, running Line/ pre amp instances on my tracks, Buss instances at the end of my group effects chain, etc etc.

Can I double up to save power?? for example...

I have a kick drum track and a snare track, I want to use the same pre amp neb instance on both tracks... instead of running Nebula instances on each track as the first effect, is it exactly the same to put one pre amp instance on the drum buss (Kick & snare routed to drum buss) 1st effect slot and then my console buss neb instance on my last effect slot??

That sort of sounds like a rhetorical question to me but I don't fully understand how Nebula works and whether I am gaining something by having instances on each track.

In some instances I might have EXACTLY the same nebula chain on 5-6 tracks (that's anything from 10-25 neb instances) when I could just have the chain on one buss that all the tracks are routed too...??

how do other people manage Nebula on tracks and groups?
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: saving CPU with less nebula instances

Postby zabukowski » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:03 pm

If your Nebula chain processes multiple files at once (as is the case when using groups), some Nebula programs may react differently as if only one file is processed at once (different level, more complex audio signal structure etc.).

So having the same chain of Nebulas on each track makes sense - it is direct simulation of how things usually would be in the analog studio.

A lot of users (including me :) use NebulaMan for pre-rendering mix sessions (preamp, tape, console etc.). It offers creating & assigning custom Nebula chains per file, group and folder.

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:58 pm

if you're asking if a preset on kick and a preset on snare is the same as a single preset on a kick+snare bus, then I no, that's not the case (as far as I know).

If that was true we only had to put one console-input preset on the master bus we done with it, but I think people are still putting it on every single track and bouncing/freezing/batch-rendering/committing :).
jorismak

Postby Support » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:35 pm

sfabs wrote:Hi There

Bit of a newbie question really...

Love Nebula and using it loads... this is the problem, freezing millions of tracks to free up CPU to keep working.

I love Alex B console emulations, running Line/ pre amp instances on my tracks, Buss instances at the end of my group effects chain, etc etc.

Can I double up to save power?? for example...

I have a kick drum track and a snare track, I want to use the same pre amp neb instance on both tracks... instead of running Nebula instances on each track as the first effect, is it exactly the same to put one pre amp instance on the drum buss (Kick & snare routed to drum buss) 1st effect slot and then my console buss neb instance on my last effect slot??

That sort of sounds like a rhetorical question to me but I don't fully understand how Nebula works and whether I am gaining something by having instances on each track.

In some instances I might have EXACTLY the same nebula chain on 5-6 tracks (that's anything from 10-25 neb instances) when I could just have the chain on one buss that all the tracks are routed too...??

how do other people manage Nebula on tracks and groups?

Please read...
The Nebula tip of the month (#43 - December 2012)
Non lineal distortion and inter modulation distortion
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=25369

Nebula3 Server use RAM sharing feature but normally you get 100% of your CPU power before use the 100% of the RAM.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby Support » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:36 pm

We also recommend NebulaMan.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby sfabs » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:24 pm

WOW! Thanks everyone for the prompt and detailed feedback, it really helps. I will keep working per track but have been looking at the Nebulaman manual and am looking forward to giving the demo a go and see how I can use it and make it work for me.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate the support :D
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Gemini Audio » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:36 am

If Kick and Snare aren't playing at the same time, you could process them together with one nebula instance. But if signals happen at the same time, they have to be processed independently.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby zabukowski » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:49 am

Gemini Audio wrote:If Kick and Snare aren't playing at the same time, you could process them together with one nebula instance. But if signals happen at the same time, they have to be processed independently.

Well said :)
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula