Login

Nebula and Wormhole2

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula and Wormhole2

Postby musicgreator » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:32 pm

Does anyone use nebula through wormhole 2? I'm using it between a Mac and a PC and i'm trying to get rid of audio dropouts and such noises. Is there any advice concerning the buffer Values, Network settings Clocking etc.?
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: Nebula and Wormhole2

Postby Sparqee » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:28 pm

No one else has chimed in so I'll offer my two cents: based on my past experience, Wormhole is not reliable enough to use in a music production environment. I presume that is why it was abandoned by it's developers.
Sparqee
User Level I
User Level I

Postby giancarlo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:26 pm

why wormhole and not neb server?
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby musicgreator » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:56 pm

I'm using the nebula server a lot, but i was dissatisfied with the cpu usage in the client DAW so i tried an alternative. I had some good moments with wormhole2 because there was almost no cpu usage in the client DAW although i was running lots of channels through wormhole ( about 60). The only thing that wasn't cool is, that at some point i started to hear strange artifacts like crackles and the latency recognition wasn't that good. But at least there wasn't much cpu usage in the DAW :) If only Nebula Server wasn't so heavy on the DAW's CPU...
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby JDrums » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:16 pm

musicgreator wrote:I had some good moments with wormhole2 because there was almost no cpu usage in the client DAW although i was running lots of channels through wormhole ( about 60).

Howdy!!

I use Wormhole2 all the time. I have audiointerface clocks connected, which stabilizes the system a bit more. W2 buffer size is 2200 in both ends. I don't mind big latencies when mixing, so I keep main DAW in 50ms and Slave around 32ms.

This setup is quite reliable, but not 100%. I would say 98%, which is enough for me. :-)

Using Cubase 5 in main DAW and Cubase SX3 in slave.

Wormhole2 would be really handy, if some coding gurus would iron out the last bugs from it. :-)

Oh yeah, all PC here and machines are connected directly with cross-connected CAT5. XP Pro in both machines.
JDrums
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby musicgreator » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:25 am

@JdRums How many channels do you get through wormhole2 before it crackles? Whats the buffer size of your daws? What are the bugs you've experienced?
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby JDrums » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:28 pm

I haven't really tried any sort of "load test", since I use slave machine only for reverbs and delays. I work mostly on 441/24bit and 5 stereo channels create approx. 2% load to Gigabit LAN. So there is a lot of free capacity.

Main DAW buffer size is 2048 (50ms) and Slave runs on 38ms buffer.

Pls, remember that Wormhole2 buffer needs to be more than DAW buffer size. I use 2200 in WH2.

The most obvious bug is that sometimes WH2 gets the round trip latency measurement wrong and effects are out of synch. It's actually quite rare nowadays. If this happens, I have quick method for unloading/reloading WH2 instances in couple of seconds and all is in synch again.
JDrums
User Level 0
User Level 0

Return to Working with Nebula