Login

Use EMT Plate with my console

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Use EMT Plate with my console

Postby brewbacker » Thu May 08, 2014 12:08 am

I'm sure this question has been answered on this forum before, but I've tried to find it without any luck. I want to use nebula reverb programs as a send/return from my console while mixing realtime. In other words the latency will be an issue. I've read elsewhere of people doing this but I don't know how you'd set this up. I'm mixing from a tape machine too so the pc would be used exclusively for reverb processing. This is possible right? Any advice is appreciated.
btw i have nebula 3 pro
brewbacker
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Use EMT Plate with my console

Postby kels » Thu May 08, 2014 8:15 am

Hi,

From an analog source, it can be done this way : do a sub-group that contain everything except Nebula's outputs and apply a good & transparent stereo delay on it. Adjust the delay to correspond to your Nebula's latency rig then send this group and Nebula's reverbs to your master.

You can even process analog tracks with Nebula (for eq or compression) by flipping the tape and bouncing in repro to slide the tracks back in time.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby brewbacker » Wed May 14, 2014 2:50 am

Is this the best method? Here is a quote from gearslutz:
"run it standalone on remote pc running vep5." I don't have nebula server and I'm not sure what this poster means by this. Is there a low latency feature with nebula server?
Thank you for the input by the way
brewbacker
User Level I
User Level I

Postby kels » Wed May 14, 2014 7:16 am

VEP5 probably refers to Vienna Ensemble Pro...

Please note that Nebula Server has no lower latency than Nebula Pro by itself, it all depends how you configure it (.xml files). In both version, you can lower the <DSPBUFFER> going from 8192 to as low as 128 and see if it works. Depending of Nebula's programs, CPU and ASIO, you can achieve pretty low latency normaly.

If you want to use multiple reverbs with variable predelay each, then you have the choice to either lower the DSPBUFFER as low as your DAW allow (still, there will be some considerable latency) or to insert a stereo delay on your group as said in previous post (here, latency will be perfectly compensated)

If you want to stay analog all the way and you don't mind an additional round of tape compression, you can always print your group on tape while mixing --> give you +- 45ms at 30IPS and 92ms at 15IPS on a STUDER A820 which will compensate for Nebula's latency. Perfect for punk rock attitude.

Or, if you plan to use a reverb only on the lead voice and you want any groups to stay analog, flip the tape and print that track to another one and use that time compensated track for your Nebula's input.

Btw, back to old days, I remember it was very common to put a tape machine at 15IPS before the EMT140. A little latency should help in this case. Have you considered this option ?
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby brewbacker » Fri May 16, 2014 12:35 am

I have considered the tape machine-like predelay Kels. I'm leaning toward this method. I was hoping to get the latency as low as possible to have more control over the amount of predelay, but one has to work with what they've got. This is probably how I'm going to set it up. Many thanks for your help.
On a side note, I haven't used nebula in a couple of years and am unfamiliar with nebula server. What exactly is standalone mode? Does this mean no daw required? That would be interesting to me. If you haven't noticed, I prefer analog recording. :D I never could figure out how to stop tweaking everything itb.
brewbacker
User Level I
User Level I

Postby kels » Fri May 16, 2014 9:33 am

On a side note, I haven't used nebula in a couple of years and am unfamiliar with nebula server. What exactly is standalone mode? Does this mean no daw required? That would be interesting to me. If you haven't noticed, I prefer analog recording. :D I never could figure out how to stop tweaking everything itb.

Nebula server is installed in a standalone mode on server side (so, without a DAW, right, it's just a little .exe). But, to work, you need a DAW on the client side to communicate with your server.
It's "just" a way for having more horse power within your DAW by harnessing the CPU of the server(s).

I'm on analog too (most of the time) that's why I immediatly notice you also appreciate it :) We should be the only ones here for the whole forum :lol:
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Return to Working with Nebula