Login

EQ help

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

EQ help

Postby Antman81 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:01 am

So a s anew nebula 3 pro user and an amateur hobby producer I was wondering if I could get some advice. I ask here rather than some music forum because I was hoping that I would get a more honest reply. rather than vague tips. :?:

The advice I need is on how to eq properly. It's such a simple thing I guess but to me I have read so much on the internet and all the information that I have accumulated seems often contradictory.

I'm wanting to develop 80's style music so thats why I purchased Alex Bs ssl4k EQ and console. I also own valhala vintage verb and many soft synths eg. Diva, FM8 etc.

So anyone brave enough to donate there time to point me in the right direction. Like some basic fundamentals. :geek:

Kind regards
Ant
Antman81
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: EQ help

Postby Mauri » Tue May 06, 2014 1:09 pm

Well, one basic thing I always do is, say, your kick has a peak at 80Hz, carve a dip in your bass intrument at the same frequency, now the kick has 'space', in the frequency spectrum. If you're using a parametric EQ you can experiment with the width as well as the depth of EQ.

You should experiment with this basic idea on other instruments as well, boost one instrument then carve out the same frequencies off other instruments.

Good luck,

Mauri.
Cubase Pro 8 x64 + jBridge, W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs + 3 SSDs for samples & project files, i7 5930K @ 4.2GHz, ASUS X99 Pro, 32GB RAM, RME HDSPe AIO, 2 x UAD2 Solo, Mackie HR624 MK2, 2 x 24" BenQ LED monitors, Nebula 3 Pro & Server x64.
Mauri
User Level X
User Level X

Re: EQ help

Postby Antman81 » Tue May 06, 2014 1:14 pm

With some trial mixes I have noticed that eqing with the root timbre in mind has been positive so far. Also building the arrangement so that the instruments cover there specific range without clashing to much has also given a more positive result. I guess I just lack some sort of confidence in my mixes. :?
Antman81
User Level 0
User Level 0

Return to Working with Nebula