Login

Anyone using Neb Comps for sidechaining in Reaper?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Anyone using Neb Comps for sidechaining in Reaper?

Postby mightymosaic » Sat May 03, 2014 9:50 pm

If so how the hell are you pulling it off? I know reaper is weird with its sidechaining, Any advice would be appreciated.
mightymosaic

Re: Anyone using Neb Comps for sidechaining in Reaper?

Postby jorismak » Sun May 04, 2014 12:04 am

I can try to help you, but I don't seem to have a Nebula compressor library that supports sidechaining it seems (or I'm not doing it right either :)). I only have the 160dbx library from CDSM and I don't know if it supports sidechaining.

Anyway, reaper sidechaining works quite normal I think in the way how Nebula does it. Channels 1+2 in Nebula are your audio, channels 3+4 is the sidechain. You'll see that Nebula is a 4-in-2-out plugin, so it accepts 4 channels in.

So, create a track with Nebula on it and the audio you which to compress. In the insert config window, press the 'vst routing' button.

A little floating window pops up, where you click the little plus sign in the bottom left. It will add channels 3+4 on the track, and route them to channels 3+4 of the VST (Nebula).

So now, when you send audio data to channels 3+4 on this track, it's the sidechain track for Nebula.

Create a second track that you want to use as sidechain track. Right click on the volume fader of that track to open the routing/send options.

Disable Master/parent send if you don't the sidechain track to be heard (if you don't want it to be sent to the master fader).

Now, add a send to it for your Nebula track (make the audio of this track go to the Nebula track). After that, make sure to specify to send it to channels 3/4 of the Nebula track (instead of the default 1/2).

That's it. It should be done now. Pick a compressor program with sidechaining, and let it do some compression. Now turn down the fader of the sidechain-track, and you should see Nebula doing less gain-reduction.

In a nutshell, create a send from your sidechain-track channels 1+2, to your nebula-track channels 3+4. Make sure you route channels 3+4 of your nebula-track into the Nebula plugin.

Another way of doing this, is to create a new empty track, and right click the volume fader. Set it to be a 4-channel track. _Then_ add Nebula to the track, it will automatically be setup for 4 channels (2 for regular stereo, 2 for stereo sidechain). Then do the same, send your sidechain audio to channels 3+4 of your nebula-track.
jorismak

Postby mightymosaic » Sun May 04, 2014 5:29 am

Hey! Thank you very much. That was an extremely well thought through explanation and it worked great. You are an exceptional human being.
mightymosaic

Postby biscoglio » Sun May 04, 2014 3:46 pm

Nice - I was wondering about using a Neb comp to sidechain in Reaper myself - Thanks! Anyone have suggestions about Neb comp libraries that perform that task particularly well?
biscoglio
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby giancarlo » Sun May 04, 2014 5:26 pm

yes, for example libraries from alexb, or analoginthebox. Most of presets featuring sidechaining are named with a final "S". There should be also a patch somewhere for converting a standard compressor to a sidechain version of it
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby jorismak » Sun May 04, 2014 8:10 pm

In CDSM 160dbx comp, he uses _all_ the parameters (all the 'mix' sliders. If I enable a sidechaining patch on it, will it disable some functionality?
jorismak

Postby giancarlo » Sun May 04, 2014 11:24 pm

yes... I think so
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Support » Mon May 05, 2014 9:52 am

The Nebula tip of the month (#17 - May 2011)
Creating side chain Programs.
URL: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1357

The Nebula tip of the month (#35 - April 2012)
Compressor internal side chain feature.
URL: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8144
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Mon May 05, 2014 11:08 am

You can do it internal from within Nebula? Than I may have a go. I have a patch here to use in NAT but I f*cks things up most of the time :).
jorismak

Postby Support » Mon May 05, 2014 11:19 am

jorismak wrote:You can do it internal from within Nebula? Than I may have a go. I have a patch here to use in NAT but I f*cks things up most of the time :).

Yes. NAT patch for SC is just a N2P edit. Open > Edit > Save. You should able to do it in Nebula but one by one.

f*cks things up means that NAT3 SC patch is not working or malfunctioning? Please report it and we will fix it.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula