Login

Alternative Data Path

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Alternative Data Path

Postby dmacalpine » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:24 pm

Hey Guys

So I'm trying to setup a folder for my Nebula libraries rather than having to copy and paste Programs and Vectors into the main directory.

I understand the <ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> in the .xml can be used to specify additional directories that Nebula can load… but it doesn't seem to work. I have the alternative Path set to "Nebula Library" with the structure set-up like so:

Nebula Library
Cupwise Compressor
-- Programs
-- Vectors
Plate Reverb
-- Programs
-- Vectors

Surely there must be an easier way than copying and pasting your Programs/Vectors files all into the one directory?!
dmacalpine
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Alternative Data Path

Postby mathias » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:22 am

in your specific nebula library folder, you can't have extrafolders for certain librarys. as you experienced, nebula will not find them, it expects the program and vector folder on the first level.

what you are trying to achieve is not possible at the moment (or i am not aware of ...). you can only have one program and vector folder in an alternative directory at the moment (like in the original nebulatemprepository).

you can use the alternative datapath for moving parts or the whole library as one to another drive, if space is running out.
(for protected librarys, you will need a new authorization then, it is tied to the drive).

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby mathias » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:25 am

i think for the convenience you are seeking, the installer for librarys was created.
i find copying the files not so problematic (i even like it more than the installer, cause i know what happened ... :D ), but that's just me.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby dmacalpine » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:50 am

mathias wrote:Stuff

Hey thanks for your replies.

I see what you mean… but in my experience, not every Nebula program has an installer. Also, some of these files get quite large - it would be good having the option of storing some on another drive for example.

The way it is now feels... quite disorganised. In my opinion, it would be great to specify a folder where you can keep your libraries, with Nebula being clever enough to recurse the directories and find their respective Program/Vector folders. Maybe even matching the program name in Nebula to the parents' folder name? So in my example, the name for my Nebula program would be Cupwise Compressor instead of its default name.

Just thinking out loud I guess :)

cheers
dmacalpine
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby richie43 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:50 am

dmacalpine wrote:
mathias wrote:Stuff

Hey thanks for your replies.

I see what you mean… but in my experience, not every Nebula program has an installer. Also, some of these files get quite large - it would be good having the option of storing some on another drive for example.

The way it is now feels... quite disorganised. In my opinion, it would be great to specify a folder where you can keep your libraries, with Nebula being clever enough to recurse the directories and find their respective Program/Vector folders. Maybe even matching the program name in Nebula to the parents' folder name? So in my example, the name for my Nebula program would be Cupwise Compressor instead of its default name.

Just thinking out loud I guess :)

cheers

In my opinion, this is already easily achieved (even easier) by installing ALL of the libraries to the one place (messy and disorganized), but then use the brilliant and amazing software called "Nebula Setups" by Zabukowski to create as many and as specific specialized Nebula instances as you want. Not only is it very convenient and organized (from the perspective of using the plugins within a DAW), but since each specific instance is only scanning for the presets that you set it up for, load times are a few seconds. I don't know why anyone would bother with anything as complicated as you are thinking about!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby russianpolecat » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:07 pm

I've purchased a new SSD drive specifically for Nebula because I'm running out of space on the C drive. Reading above I'm slightly confused as to the next step. Can I not install the programs/vectors on a specific drive other than the C drive? I'm sure I read somewhere that it is possible to do that.

Chris

Edit - nevermind, just tried it on my laptop. No problems 8-)
russianpolecat
User Level XI
User Level XI

Return to Working with Nebula