Login

Does Analog gear react towards the RMS? (Tapes, Consoles)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Does Analog gear react towards the RMS?

Postby o001o01 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:10 pm

TranscendingMusic wrote:I had personally found that the knee also mattered with the mode used. For example my gsqueeze preset performed better with its abrupt knee, with peak mode but my 78 one, on rms. Perhaps the cleanliness of it is due to the fact that there is less signal to handle and can therefore handle it more efficiently. May be the other modes can serve the function even better if overall compression behavior can be increased with nebula. To me it always felt like peak was the mode that best served what nebula is capable of compression wise. There is a synergy there.

both Presets you mentioned are compressor.
I'm talking about Analog gear like Tapes, Consoles,Speaker/Cabinet... which dosent have any detection or attack and release setting in Real World.

I really want to know if they response to the sound instantly like a Peak detection or do they behave slower and look for the Average or Square energy of the sound.
o001o01
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Does Analog gear react towards the RMS? (Tapes, Consoles

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:41 pm

I think we are all saying that peak is a good idea for most gears and probably tape....

But a definitive answer would probably not be wise as dev's use different settings for different reasons.

I think Bob was saying that it depends on varying factors of what your trying to achieve or expect as well despite the topology of the original equipment.
I'm sure you asked originally all gears too, you changed the title?

I can understand your passion for this as I like you have put a huge amount of experimentation into nebulas parameters, so I can relate to what your saying...

are you using smooth?
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby TranscendingMusic » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:11 pm

Tim Petherick wrote:I think we are all saying that peak is a good idea for most gears and probably tape....

But a definitive answer would probably not be wise as dev's use different settings for different reasons.

I think Bob was saying that it depends on varying factors of what your trying to achieve or expect as well despite the topology of the original equipment.
I'm sure you asked originally all gears too, you changed the title?

I can understand your passion for this as I like you have put a huge amount of experimentation into nebulas parameters, so I can relate to what your saying...

are you using smooth?

quoted for emphasis...

It really is contingent on several factors, there is no hard and fast rule. Generally, and it is why I used the compressor presets in my previous post as examples, dynamic stuff that is changing the envelope like comps, I'll lean towards peak. The other modes for example, I will use on a distortion preset. Since there it isn't necessarily about physically acting directly on the envelope like a dyn. processor but working dynamically on frequency, phase, and harmonics, there could be a benefit working in rms. It's a logic I developed based on observations in tests and more importantly function and sound. Not a rule though!
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:20 pm

Good explanation and a good example of reasons to use slower detection.

another example,

I had a reverb which sounded better on slower detection. Samples were very different from each other causing distortions on fast changes, peak was not the evf to use in this case...
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula