Login

Dark side of the moon

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Dark side of the moon

Postby Martinez » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:30 am

Hi all.

I've become obsessed with capturing the sound of the "Dark side of the moon" mix, otherwise known as the "Black Backdrop".

I was wondering if anyone here knows anything of the particulars of how it was recorded?

What sort of tape they used and at what speed, etc, etc.

Cheers!
Martinez

Re: Dark side of the moon

Postby babiuk » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:35 am

Hi, I am not Pink Floyd fan (apart from two first LPs) but I can tell you that Dark Side is EMI-Abbey Road made so you can expect the first 16 track recorder they got at that time, I dont remember a lot about it but google will provide full info for sure.

Anyway (excuse the offtopic) the Abbeyroad plugins (before Waves era) are very close to that sound, I mean TG gear regarded. Anyone knows if we have any of this kind of gear nebulised? Maybe Henry?

Sorry, I know it is not amazing info but I hope it can help you in some general way, Just my 0.00000002 cents
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RJHollins » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:01 am

If not mistaken ...

The AlexB 'German Mastering Console' and 'Dynamics' is ported to Nebula.

From the manual:
About the original hardware
The legendary sound of "the Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd has been mastered with this german
console/eQ which makes audio program to sound better just by passing through his circuits, and when you
shape the sound with his equalizer the results will be fantastic, with every musical style.

This great sounding console is even more fun when I use this: :o
NVC-GMC - Main GUI screenshot.jpg

I now can realize how powerful this console is.

And I partner the Dynamics section with the NVC-GMD. ;)

advertisement over :lol:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Martinez » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:36 am

So what is this virtual controller thing Henry?
How does it work? Is it creating new Nebula instances or what?
Martinez

Postby Martinez » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:38 am

Thanks babiuk. I knew that he used that desk for that album (which I think is owned by Lenny Kravitz now" but I'm more curious about the type of tape and the compressors.
Martinez

Postby RJHollins » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:02 am

Martinez wrote:So what is this virtual controller thing Henry?
How does it work? Is it creating new Nebula instances or what?

Who Henry :o
:lol:

Hi Martinez,

It doesn't create the Nebula instances ... it is a VST plugin that is custom designed to control all required Nebulas via standard MIDI protocol, from a central 'command' center using the standard libraries.
I've not yet posted on this controller, but there are several threads here on the AA forum that have info on the ones I have released. [also my site in the signature]. Search here for NVC. [the NebulaVirtualController]

back on topic ... this is a beautiful console, with an equal Dynamics library.

It may be attributed to the 'Floyd' sound ... but I would NOT limit it to that [whether you like or not] ... it delivers a musical sound that is enchanting ... with depth and power. I didn't quite appreciate it till I designed the NVC controller for it. The individual presets EQ's are great ... but the ability to shape was a very pleasant surprise.

As to PinkFloyd ... a side piece of info ...
I think that they used a different tuning reference than what most expect [A=440]. I believe it's A=432 or 430]. There is a 'particular' aural sensation/experience about it. I'm sure a web search will reveal more than we knew about. The concert for Dark Side of the Moon, the 1st quadraphonic I recall, was absolutely mind blown. :shock:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Tim Petherick » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:10 pm

Martinez wrote:Thanks babiuk. I knew that he used that desk for that album (which I think is owned by Lenny Kravitz now" but I'm more curious about the type of tape and the compressors.

A bit off topic but I loved Lenny's recordings when Henry Hirsch was producing his stuff! His recordings were so musical, I know that sounds a bit silly but something about his taste is amazing. In my opinion a underrated producer.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula