Login

Optimizing Nebula on Multi-Threaded i7 Win7 System

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Optimizing Nebula on Multi-Threaded i7 Win7 System

Postby javahut » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:09 pm

Are there any settings that will optimize Nebula for better performance on a multi-threaded i7 Win7 x64 system? Specifically... to get Nebula instances to use more threads. Running an i7-980x @ 3.6 GHz, 24 GB RAM. Using Sonar X3e x64 for DAW, and latest Nebula3 Pro x64. When I load a few heavy instances of Nebula, they all seem to take a heavy hit on the 1st thread... when 11 other threads are available that have less load on them. Are there any settings to help get instances of Nebula to spread out to other cores/threads?

Thanks for any help. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. Looked, but couldn't find anything specific.
downtempo.dub.psychedlic.twang
Canartic - Modulotion
javahut
User Level V
User Level V

Re: Optimizing Nebula on Multi-Threaded i7 Win7 System

Postby Support » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:22 pm

Board index / Nebula / FAQs
MAST page F.A.Q.: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=558
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby javahut » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:48 pm

Really? That's all you have? I searched the page for 'thread' and 'core', and found nothing relevant to the question I asked.

If there are no settings to optimize Nebula for multi core/threaded CPUs, just tell me that. Is that what you're trying to tell me?
downtempo.dub.psychedlic.twang
Canartic - Modulotion
javahut
User Level V
User Level V

Postby jorismak » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:55 pm

In a nutshell, in my experience: Use the Reverb version instead of the normal version.

I think (don't know for sure) that it's the combination of bigger buffers and some other setting that allows it to spread more over multiple threads.

Remember, low-latency and 'realtime' are not words that go together good with 'multi threaded' and 'concurrency' :).

That being said, remember that most DAWs can only (really) use multiple cores if stuff is on multiple tracks. If the output of one plugin is the input of the next it's hard to do true multi-core aware. (It's possible, but the efficiency is much better with multiple tracks).

So, to make it simpler I guess: 16 instances on one track is LESS multi-thread usage than 16-tracks with one instance :). But this is DAW-related.

I know there are MAST-related things that affect multiple threads usage, but the FAQ enrique links to doesn't say anything about 'cores' or 'threads' :).
There is a <THREADS> 1 </THREADS> line in my Reverb.xml file that is not in my normal .xml file. Other noteworthy difference is bigger buffer (DSPBUFFER and WORKBUFFER, but you're not supposed to touch WORKBUFFER) like is normal for a Reverb-version.

The normal Nebula has no multi-threading in my Reaper it seems, the Reverb has. Make of it what you will.
jorismak

Return to Working with Nebula