97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.29 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Re: gearslutz topic

Postby botus99 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:18 pm

So the OP is demanding evidence that Nebula doesn't "ruin sine waves" or something? Aliasing and distortion, yadda yadda yadda...

He would need to present his evidence FIRST before demanding all this from the community. Doesn't mention what level he sent it into Nebula, what program, what MAST settings, etc?

The dude is a joke.
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby Arne » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:30 pm

Agree, he is a joke. I am amazed how many slutz`ers who claim to have an expert opinion about products and technology they know nothing about, nor have tested, tried or have any experience with, yet still claim to have an expert opinion upon - amazing culture over there.
Arne
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby mtalavera » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:47 pm

I think this is what is known as trolling. Someone more interested in starting a fight than in actually engaging in a conversation. Different points of view should be welcomed, but his comments seems more for instigation than conversation, especially his first comment where he said Nebula, "borders on being a fraud".

The original poster, Zep Dude, does seems interested in seeking people's opinions, and is even calling out the troll to produce evidence of his claims.
mtalavera

Postby jorismak » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:20 pm

isn't this related to the 'detuning effect' thread on our forums here?

As I posted in that thread, I do a lot of null-testing with things I process over Nebula.

It started to train my ears. I wanted to 'pop out' whatever Nebula was adding, so I knew what I should listen for (humble confession: The first time playing with Nebula and AlexB PC&S programs I couldn't hear the difference between 90% of the preamp programs in that pack). With null-testing you are left with only that bit what the nebula-program adds. So I knew what the preamp added, so I listened to the normal processed file and I could suddenly hear it. Do this a lot and you train your ears :).
I bought Nebula for Ownhammer's guitar-cabinets, ended up with a pretty complete mixing package so I don't use regular plugins :).

Now, why I say this: I don't hear any artifacts, clicks, pops, detuning effect what so ever in the null tests... So on a regular signal, it doesn't seem to be there. Maybe a simple sine-wave or noise-pattern will make the little changes between vectors/kernels apparent, but you don't hear it - even on null tests - with normal recordings. I at least don't.

I did once though, and it turned out I played around with a lot of settings so that I screwed the program up :). I even asked in this forum somewhere what the proper way was to reinstall libraries and make sure all parameters are back to the way the devs made them, because I screwed them up somehow :).
Cleared all my libs, cleared all the temps/caches, reinstalled libs + nebula, and did the exact same program -> no artifacts.

So yes, there can be certain Nebula programs that introduce artifacts.. or can't handle certain kind of signals (compressors for instance)... and Nebula is in my eyes not a replacement for the analog gear.. it's a mixing tool that does it with the same or better quality than most VST algo's in my ears. So I go for it. I'm the first to say it isn't perfect. It doesn't do distortion (right?), compressors / limiters are an issue... and sometimes there will be artifacts when you push things. Hey, I recently bought SKNote stripbus + roundtone for console+tape emu, because I wanted something I could use for tracking (lower cpu hit + as close to 0 zero latency as possible). So Nebula isn't everything to everybody.

In pretty most cases though, like I said, it's the same-or-better than any algo plug out there. I rather spent my $40 bucks on a nebula library that a dev slaved over to get it right, then $150 bucks on a new Waves '73 preamp+eq. Doesn't mean the Waves thing is bad, not at all.. it means that I'm more confident the $40 bucks to a Nebula library will be better spent.
jorismak

Postby mathias » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:10 am

my two cents:
good to see people that try to build their "knowledge" on real tests and try to get a sense of what they are dealing with. thanks for your thought-through comment jorismak!

these are the discussions, that bring us somewhere.
so let's just go away, when people like the one mentioned are showing up.

maybe some short statement, but most of the time it is just useless, to say anything, as their talk does not contain anything real to talk about. they just want to engage with you to play their game.

looking forward to some good talks here, with people, that really want to exchange with others and are respectful and interested! :D

best,
mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby Mercado_Negro » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:43 am

Man, that guy is so funny. Had a good laugh, thanks G! :D
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Return to Working with Nebula