Login

Cutting?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Cutting?

Postby Martinez » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:58 pm

I was just wondering if there are any eqs in Neb that excel at cutting?
I know that there are a few that are amazing at boosting in the high end, but what about cutting in the midrange areas?
Algos seem to really destroy the sound when cutting unwanted midrange frequencies.
Martinez

Re: Cutting?

Postby RJHollins » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:26 am

Hello Martinez,

Would need to see more specific information on the type of cut eq you're looking for.

It can range from graceful slopes to surgical, and various Q options possible.

That said ... [and not to sound cliché], but I'm trying to think of a 'BAD' Nebula equalizer :lol: I might have overlooked one in my collection, but I agree that algo's [although useful] are not as 'musical' or sonically enhancing like NEB.

I'm sure everyone has their favorites ... I have several, that range from 'colorful' to pristine.

What are you looking for? What do you already have?
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby marcpl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:43 am

i'm using one as I type this. APEq.

http://www.analoginthebox.com/product.php?id=2687

it sounds great and it's a real workhorse of an EQ. at least by nebula standards. you should check it out.

regards,
marco
marcpl
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Martinez » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:47 am

Thanks RJHollins for the reply.

I'm looking for an eq that I can use for pre-mixing duties. Say you have a vocal that has been recorded with a a cheap mic in a room that is boxy and you want to remove some of the midrange mud.
Maybe sometimes you have to gouge the mids out of an acoustic guitar to make way for other more important instruments. You don't want to totally ruin the guitar but you have no choice. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Surgical I can do with an algo.
Martinez

Postby Martinez » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:53 am

marcpl wrote:i'm using one as I type this. APEq.

http://www.analoginthebox.com/product.php?id=2687

it sounds great and it's a real workhorse of an EQ. at least by nebula standards. you should check it out.

regards,
marco

Thank macro, I actually have the ape eq already.
I haven't actually tried cutting with that one to tell you the truth.

I was more thinking of something of something like the Tubetrek from CDsoundmaster. That think has the most incredible top end that you can boost for days without any apparent artifacts. I once boosted 10 db of 3k on a vocal without any apparent side effects. I only had to back it off because the vocal was poking out of the mix "somehow"
If I could find something like that for the mids except for cutting, I'd be in mix heaven!
Martinez

Postby marcpl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:16 am

I also have michael's Tubetrek and agree that it's great on top end. it seems that most nebula eq's are.

based on your OP it sounds like the ape is right up your alley. the combo presets with the fixed cut at 240Hz are a godsend for cleaning up general mud.

you mentioned that you haven't used it for cutting though...you really should. seems that you already have exactly what you're looking for.

and the beauty of nebula is that there's nothing wrong with cutting with one EQ and boosting with another. I love getting creative with my libraries.

best,
marco
marcpl
User Level X
User Level X

Postby jorismak » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:56 am

Don't know any of the AITB EQ's, but what's wrong with AlexB's N**e 1081 EQ (sidecar console) or Classic Logic EQ? (S*L 4k EQ?).
jorismak

Postby Martinez » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:38 am

jorismak wrote:Don't know any of the AITB EQ's, but what's wrong with AlexB's N**e 1081 EQ (sidecar console) or Classic Logic EQ? (S*L 4k EQ?).

Hi jorismak.

I have Classic logic eq and it is fantastic.
What I was hoping for though was more of an eq with that wow factor that just makes the problem frequency just go away. Classic logic eq is fantastic but it doesn't make the problem frequency magically "just go away"

Has anyone tried the Michael's Cooltec 2?
Martinez

Postby SWANG » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:14 am

Martinez wrote:
Has anyone tried the Michael's Cooltec 2?

yes! use it all the time. two words: get it!

it hasn't failed me yet.

michael's q8 console/eq has some flexible midrage eq programs as well.
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby hwasser » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:54 am

AlexBs White Eq (RND Portico) is very good at this. I bought this EQs because it is "something different" from all those old EQs, a relative new brand, Rupert N**e is involved etc.

The white EQ has free adjustable freq-bands and Q-levels. It is said to be very clean and "silky" in the high-end. However I was working with a friends speak and thought it sounded a bit tin, I boosted the 100 hz with it and was suprised about the weight it added, it certainly does something nice in the low.

Test this one, the option to freely set the Q and freq makes it very good with cutting.
hwasser
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Next

Return to Working with Nebula