Login

Unwanted detuning defect in Nebula libraries: Please Read!

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Unwanted detuning defect in Nebula libraries: Please Rea

Postby scene » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:10 pm

Tim, the affected and unaffected files are included in one of my messages. The "d-effect" sounds similar to the voice of Stephen Hawking.
scene
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Tim Petherick » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:22 pm

it's really hard to tell like I said, I don't own the presets...

and I wouldn't want to say what was causing any artifact for sure, Especially on other dev's library's, But you say these are on many presets and it is not aimed at anyone, So in this case I feel like I could suggest something and possibly help.

so, I have heard similar things On certain presets in fast program rate in timed mode. And that was a tweak to help remedy those artifacts. I believe that this particular artifact that I am talking about is from sample changes and others in the thread saying 'dynamic changes' caught my eye, but I don't know for sure. But this artifact is caused by fast program rates and it would be easy to check. It seems the artifact is still present at slower program rates but is low frequency (usually heard as popping instead)

So really just a suggestion.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby scene » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:04 pm

I tried all these suggestions, including yours. As I said, it just shifts the problem from one place to another. For example, in the audio file that I included, the d-effect is clearly audible when the singer sings the word "you" . However, if I follow some of the suggested changes then the problem seems to drift from the previously "troublesome" spots to just another place within the same audio take, where the frequency and dynamics have different flavor, attack or tonality.

Hope my explanations are not too convoluted.
scene
User Level II
User Level II

Postby giancarlo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:07 pm

detuning is impossible using diagonal volterra kernels. Maybe you are eq things which are out of tune, or enhancing harmonics making it more evident. It cant happen even using wrong rate conversion. Simply you are boosting the exact tone and/or harmonics or adding, but they are multiplies of orginal tone
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:11 pm

check the rate, maybe if it is too much fast it could add a 'tone'
But it is not a detune (unless your cpu load is high and you get errors in realtime, caused by an audio dropout
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Tim Petherick » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:15 pm

Ok,

To find out if it is related to dynamic changes. Turn off the the evf's in the evf page....

yes, I can hear the artifact in the samples

Like G is saying it could be speed.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby scene » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:40 pm

giancarlo, these are just semantics. The d-effect in question can be described as ringing, robot like, computerized-digital artifact that sounds distinctly un analog . It is without a doubt destructive and lo-fi-ing degradation of sound.

The files are included in one of my messages, these are different audio files from those that I sent to your techsupport team about three months ago. Once again, there are no other plugins in the audio chain and the detuning sounds more like a bad vocoder synthesis which makes perfectly recorded material sounds like it was processed by a Stephen Hawking's voice box generator.

Please, listen to the included files. Also, it would be best if you'd go back and read the posts with the descriptions of this problem. Thank you.
scene
User Level II
User Level II

Postby giancarlo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:55 pm

ok it is aliasing.
It happens in compressors if it is switching too much quickly and irs are too much different each from the other ones.
Compress sources before procssing or change preset or increase liquidity.
It is not the library, maybe using a different source it works.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby scene » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:00 pm

This happens a lot in some preamp, pass through and tape programs. I mean this is where it is very audible, while in some other libraries it is barely noticeable or simply not there at all.
scene
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Cupwise » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:12 pm

this isn't the same thing as the ringing that can happen with compression (or really any dynamic program) using fast program rates. that happens in the upper frequencies.

what scene is talking about happens in the lower frequencies.

it's a totally different thing. and it's not just confined to a few presets.

try taking scene's dry file and testing programs that have higher harmonic levels.... and look/listen in the lower frequencies. it's like a detuned modulation effect happening somewhere around 100-200hz. i'm pretty sure that it happens because of the harmonics.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula