Login

SPLITH vs CLASSC

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: SPLITH vs CLASSC

Postby RJHollins » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:23 am

gentle BUMP !
;)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby kels » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:01 am

Tim Petherick released the TNT a while now and it uses TIMED mode all the way (even and odd). I do believe it was fixed before that release :)
But I too am interested to know precisely when that issue was fixed.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Cupwise » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:47 am

no theres no problem with using everything in timed. the problem is that when you do that the program rate changes, because timed mode can use faster program rates. but you need to know what you are doing if you ever set a faster program rate and in my opinion it shouldnt be done by anyone besides a dev in most cases. so if you really want to set everything to timed, you could still do that, but you should probably go into 'edit' then 'glob' and adjust the program rate to match what it was before you switched to timed mode.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:46 am

Cupwise wrote:no theres no problem with using everything in timed. the problem is that when you do that the program rate changes, because timed mode can use faster program rates. but you need to know what you are doing if you ever set a faster program rate and in my opinion it shouldnt be done by anyone besides a dev in most cases. so if you really want to set everything to timed, you could still do that, but you should probably go into 'edit' then 'glob' and adjust the program rate to match what it was before you switched to timed mode.

Thanks for spotting this thread Cup !

If I may try to better understand, for example:

Let's say a preset comes up [UN-TIMED], and has setting values of 50.0 for each of the 3 sections [main,even,odd].

I adjust the TIMED setting [from whatever it was] to the same original value ... 50.0, and then klick the arrow to TIMED switched.

If this is correct so far ... if I only change the Main and either ODD or EVEN ... then will the PRGRATE original value still be good ? If so ... is the PRGRATE only needing adjust when all 3 are switched to TIMED ??

And just because I can get confused too easily :roll: the MODE to do TIMED ... what should we see in the display [Classic or SPLITH] ?? of course, the actual MODE is the opposite of what's being shown. [not doing this often enough I think contributes to the simple 'opposite - active' setting :oops:

I know that you've been through this all before ... and I'm not questioning the merits of 'just leave everything alone and make good sounds' :lol: But if we play on our own time, I'd like to be certain that I've at least made the proper setting to test.

I'll mention, I have made some TIMED switches to certain presets, and I must confess, I've found SOME of the switches most interesting sonically. May have no semblance to the actual hardware ... but the dimensional change was intriguing ... sometimes in a positive way.

As always ... thanks for your time in any additional info to help.

BTW ... look forward to your next creation !

Thank-you
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Cupwise » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:25 am

ok sometimes even if you just switch two of them, or even just the first one (clean) to timed, the program rate will change, even if the other(s) are left at freqd. but in those cases i think its usually ok, because the program rate usually only goes down by half when that happens. all you really have to do though, is watch the program rate when you make the switch and you can see if it changes when you do. when you switch all 3 it will almost surely change and it will probably go down by too much which isn't good so if you want to have all 3 on timed you should set the prog rate back to where it was before switching.

you will know you are in classic mode (which you always want to be in with dynamic stuff), if there is only one arrow and its pointing at either timed or freqd. if there are two arrows, one pointing at each, then it's using splith. and if its a dynamic program it shouldn't be using splith, because then it isn't using any smoothing and all dynamic programs need it. i wouldn't think any dynamic programs would be set to use splith when you get them but who knows. i could be wrong but im pretty sure that anything dynamic will cause artifacts if it doesn't at least use some smoothing (unless it has a really slow prog rate like reverbs). so any kind of preamp program or anything like that should be set to use classic, already.

as far as i know, acustica only intended splith to be used with equalizers, because they aren't dynamic and don't need smoothing. and this is why only eq programs use splith in acustica's NAT sampling templates.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:19 am

THANKS for taking the time to, yet again, explain these details ! I've been searching the forum threads to refresh on the details.

I'll probably print out[for reference] for when I do some experimenting.

The main reason was to be sure that I didn't dismiss an experiment due to overlooking any of the fundamentals.

Another reason ... regardless of the 'faithfulness' of the factory settings ... there have been certain library presets that, when switched to TIMED, do something quite special to the soundstage ... even the sonic 'texture' [if that makes any sense] :roll: almost a type of dry [er] sound. There are other sonic changes as well.

Once in awhile, it can be an interesting study.

Thanks again Cupwise
8-)

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby kylen » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Yes, thank you Mr. Cupwise (and RJ for detailed questions) for discovering and explaining the Black Magic... :)
kylen

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula