Login

Factory Master page settings

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Factory Master page settings

Postby conanliquid » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:38 pm

I know there's a post on here somewhere with the original settings for the master page when you first buy Nebula 3 Pro, but I can't find it anywhere (I stupidly didnt bookmark it the first time I found it). Anyone know where it is or what the settings are? Thanks in advance.
conanliquid
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Factory Master page settings

Postby Support » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:06 pm

conanliquid wrote:I know there's a post on here somewhere with the original settings for the master page when you first buy Nebula 3 Pro, but I can't find it anywhere (I stupidly didnt bookmark it the first time I found it). Anyone know where it is or what the settings are? Thanks in advance.

Most support used page: All tips of the month, listed
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1346

MAST page F.A.Q.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=558
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby conanliquid » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:14 pm

Great stuff. Thank you.
conanliquid
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby javahut » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:04 am

New Factory Master page settings...

Okay... 1st... I keep seeing links to the FAQ for Master Page settings, and it appears to me those "FAQ"s have parameters noted that either are no longer in the XML file, or there are new settings in the XML files that have parameters that aren't explained in the Master Page FAQ.

Next... why... it seems every time I install a newer update or a newer version... I get Nebula3.xml and Nebula3 Reverb.xml that have either different settings than the previous install, or have different parameters even than the previous install... and in particular, this case... there's two parameters missing in the current xml install that I just spent 2 days tracking down, that were in the previous xml that caused my projects to crash immediately when played.

What I did was, I saw there was a new update, so thought "great, probably even better now". So while I was at it... since I had upgraded Nebula to x64... and the new default VST folder is Acustica64, and I had previously kept my Acustica (non-64) folder to save possible headaches from moving it... I decided to move it this time, to the now default Nebula64 folder to avoid future update/upgrade problems. So I thought it probably best to just do a uninstall and reinstall to make sure, in case there were any paths to it that needed to change.

So I also thought it would be best to use the installed xmls, and just change what I needed to what I had, and then I would have the newest, most correct xmls with the correct settings.

After I did all this... no project would play. Play immediately crashed.

To make a short story even longer, what I eventually found is that there are (at least) two settings that weren't in the new xml. Those are/were...

<THREADS> 1 </THREADS>
<THREADSMINDIM> 0 </THREADSMINDIM>

I have a feeling its the THREADS that did the trick. Immediately, everything started working again.

So can someone tell me what those settings did that made everything start working again? And why they're not in the new the new installed xmls if they're so important as to cause my system to immediately crash without them and work as always with them? And are there other settings that might even optimize Nebula better for my particular system, that I'm totally unaware of? (only The S***** knows!) (Win 7 x64, i7-980x 3.6 Ghz, 24GB RAM, 6 cores, 12 threads).

I'll leave it at that for now. This is the kind of thing that causes many users to be extremely frustrated attempting to use Nebula, though. I've never been one of them, for the most part. This was one of the first times I've leaned towards the frustrated side of it, as many of the settings have changed, and no info is available as to what they are, or what the changes mean and why. The explanations and documentation is not updated, and when there is an explanation, it sometimes seems to either be very unclear or even contradict itself within just a few words.

Sorry if this seems like a rant. I'm still a Nebula lover. But somebody please just do some proper documentation and keep it updated when things change.

But for now, if you could just please answer my questions above (about the needed settings not even being in the current default xml install), I would be very appreciative. :D

Thanks.
downtempo.dub.psychedlic.twang
Canartic - Modulotion
javahut
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Support » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:42 pm

Okay... 1st... I keep seeing links to the FAQ for Master Page settings, and it appears to me those "FAQ"s have parameters noted that either are no longer in the XML file, or there are new settings in the XML files that have parameters that aren't explained in the Master Page FAQ.

RE: Wrong. We didn't discard any tag yet. Mast page FAQ is 2014/1.3.6xx compatible.

Next... why... it seems every time I install a newer update or a newer version... I get Nebula3.xml and Nebula3 Reverb.xml that have either different settings than the previous install, or have different parameters even than the previous install... and in particular, this case... there's two parameters missing in the current xml install that I just spent 2 days tracking down, that were in the previous xml that caused my projects to crash immediately when played.

RE: Please post here exactly what are you doing for version upgrade, so I can reproduce here and upload a tip or report an issue. As I can read you are doing something wrong.

What I did was, I saw there was a new update, so thought "great, probably even better now". So while I was at it... since I had upgraded Nebula to x64... and the new default VST folder is Acustica64, and I had previously kept my Acustica (non-64) folder to save possible headaches from moving it... I decided to move it this time, to the now default Nebula64 folder to avoid future update/upgrade problems. So I thought it probably best to just do a uninstall and reinstall to make sure, in case there were any paths to it that needed to change.

RE: Correct. 64 folder come from 1.3.6xx installer that also change the name of .DLL(s)/.XML(s) due CORE4. I update How to install, upgrade and uninstall Nebula in 2013 for 1.3.6xx installer, read here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26045

I have a feeling its the THREADS that did the trick. Immediately, everything started working again.

So can someone tell me what those settings did that made everything start working again? And why they're not in the new the new installed xmls if they're so important as to cause my system to immediately crash without them and work as always with them? And are there other settings that might even optimize Nebula better for my particular system, that I'm totally unaware of? (only The S***** knows!) (Win 7 x64, i7-980x 3.6 Ghz, 24GB RAM, 6 cores, 12 threads).

I'll leave it at that for now. This is the kind of thing that causes many users to be extremely frustrated attempting to use Nebula, though. I've never been one of them, for the most part. This was one of the first times I've leaned towards the frustrated side of it, as many of the settings have changed, and no info is available as to what they are, or what the changes mean and why. The explanations and documentation is not updated, and when there is an explanation, it sometimes seems to either be very unclear or even contradict itself within just a few words.

RE: There are several tags undocumented for customer, the reason is that they are important to Nebula boot. For example THREADS and THREADSMINDIM tags. Please read again my second response. You are the first customer that report this issue, no one from beta tester team report something similar yet.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby javahut » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:02 am

Support wrote:RE: Wrong. We didn't discard any tag yet. Mast page FAQ is 2014/1.3.6xx compatible.

If you say so. I know how to install/uninstall a program in Windows. And I know those two parameters were not in either xml. All I did was uninstall the old version (after rebooting, to make sure no files were hung up in use), reboot, make sure everything was gone from the NebulaTempRepository folders, installed full x64 version. The default xmls that were installed did not have those parameters I previously mentioned... at all. How could I possibly incorrectly install the program in such a way that it left those 2 parameters out? (there could be others... or not. No idea... as there's no complete list anywhere... except for the parameters and info you choose to "publish")

Support wrote:Please post here exactly what are you doing for version upgrade, so I can reproduce here and upload a tip or report an issue. As I can read you are doing something wrong.

See above. When I upgrade, I simply install the upgrade version, and rebuild Nebula Setup DLLs.

Support wrote:There are several tags undocumented for customer, the reason is that they are important to Nebula boot. For example THREADS and THREADSMINDIM tags. Please read again my second response. You are the first customer that report this issue, no one from beta tester team report something similar yet.

This is exactly the reason you SHOULD document them. Obviously, here was a case where some important parameters were not installed correctly. Regardless of who's fault it is... if everyone understood what was in the file and the reason for it, we might better be able to troubleshoot our own problems.

And so you have "thread" parameters. But no documentation about them. And I needed the parameters for my system to run, apparently, but didn't know it. I still have no idea why I needed them, or what the settings do... I just copied them from the old files, since it had previously worked with those settings. What is THREADSMINDIM, and why is mine set to zero?

I have a multi-threaded system with no information about how to best optimize Nebula settings for it, yet you still gave me no information how I can. Not having any idea of what some of the parameters are, I wouldn't know... and you guys wouldn't know what's installed or set up correctly or not on every single system... as demonstrated by you not knowing how the THREADS and THREADSMINDIM did NOT get installed on mine.

I'll leave it at... the better informed your customer is, the better your chances of having happy customers with well functioning systems. Deciding not to reveal certain parameters, and what they're for, is just a sure cause for frustration when something doesn't work, or when something doesn't work as well as it should. And how can we possibly know if it's working as well as it should if there's missing information about the function of certain parameters?

There's just really no point in not revealing some of this info. Anyone using Nebula successfully will be fully capable of understanding what to do and what not to do... if you just give us the information. It's easy enough to screw it up without the info, much less so if we have the info documented. That way when something is not right, we have better information, you get better information from us, you can better diagnose problems because we'll be giving you more informed information to go by.

But no point in arguing about it. I'm not the only one who's felt this way about Nebula. I'm probably one of those who feels the least like this most of the time. It's just something I'm pointing out to you to try to help make Nebula better... for everyone.

And I don't intend this to be in any way negative. Nebula's great. We are all so lucky to have this kind of processing and sound quality available to us via your exceptional design & creation of Nebula.

I sincerely thank you for your time.
downtempo.dub.psychedlic.twang
Canartic - Modulotion
javahut
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Support » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:46 am

If you say so. I know how to install/uninstall a program in Windows. And I know those two parameters were not in either xml. All I did was uninstall the old version (after rebooting, to make sure no files were hung up in use), reboot, make sure everything was gone from the NebulaTempRepository folders, installed full x64 version. The default xmls that were installed did not have those parameters I previously mentioned... at all. How could I possibly incorrectly install the program in such a way that it left those 2 parameters out? (there could be others... or not. No idea... as there's no complete list anywhere... except for the parameters and info you choose to "publish")

Several tags are written by Nebula after first run/boot.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Support
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula