Login

Upgraded Nebula, now the DLL is called something different..

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Upgraded Nebula, now the DLL is called something different..

Postby darren » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi folks,

The old version of Nebula I was using had the words 'CoreII' in the DLL name.

Now, of course, the nebula DLL has a different name which means all of my projects fail to find the new one!

If I rename the DLL to the old name, would this cause any issues?

thanks
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Upgraded Nebula, now the DLL is called something differe

Postby darren » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:11 pm

Well, I renamed the new DLL and it's accompanying XML file to the old names and my projects now load without complaint. No problems so far.
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Postby jorismak » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:23 pm

If you rename the XML files together with the VST DLLs you should be fine.

Most DAWs don't care about the filename of the plugin to be honest. Example, I have a nebula-setup of AlexB VBC on my desktop. So I load a plugin 'alexb_vbc.DLL'. When I load the project on my laptop which has no nebula-setups, the instance loads fine, even if the only plugins I have are the normal 'nebula3.dll' and 'nebula3 reverb.dll'.
jorismak

Postby richie43 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:36 pm

jorismak wrote:If you rename the XML files together with the VST DLLs you should be fine.

Most DAWs don't care about the filename of the plugin to be honest. Example, I have a nebula-setup of AlexB VBC on my desktop. So I load a plugin 'alexb_vbc.DLL'. When I load the project on my laptop which has no nebula-setups, the instance loads fine, even if the only plugins I have are the normal 'nebula3.dll' and 'nebula3 reverb.dll'.

You are partially right, but if the main Nebula.dll or Nebula reverb.dll are renamed, most DAW's will not load them properly. The reason the nebulasetups presets still load is because the setups you created are still loading the presets from your repository. So if those presets exist in the repository of another computer and you don't have the setups-created dll, they will load in nebula reverb.dll. This is different than a nebula reverb.dll vs nebula reverb coreII.dll. Darren did the right thing. The biggest issue there is until he can migrate to the new naming, updating Nebula will be weird and maybe confusing because the update will still install the dll's with the new name, so there will be both (it can't overwrite the dll if the name is changed). This threw me into a seemingly endless loop of confusion until I figured it out. Migrate to the new names as soon as possible, trust me!!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Support » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:22 pm

darren wrote:Hi folks,

The old version of Nebula I was using had the words 'CoreII' in the DLL name.

Now, of course, the nebula DLL has a different name which means all of my projects fail to find the new one!

If I rename the DLL to the old name, would this cause any issues?

thanks

How to install, upgrade and uninstall Nebula: www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 10&t=26045

IMPORTANT: From 1.3.600 version we change the name of the .DLL/.XML files in PC versions. After upgrade from a 1.3.5xx/1.3.4xx version, go Acustica or Acustica64 folder and delete/backup old files and rename new files (if you need compatibility with old projects).

Due inside .XML you will still use the same VST ID (Magic Number). Renaming new .DLL(s) to old names will work. I suggest to make a copy of .DLL(s) files and start using new names .DLL(s) for new project.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula