Login

Help Me Please!!!!!

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Help Me Please!!!!!

Postby captainbeats » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:59 am

I have been using Nebula Pro for about 6mths now and I love it. But I want to make sure I am getting the most out of it. Can you help me? when I load certain programs is there anything else I need to do for example an eq, do I need to go to the master section of nebula and adjust kernals, etc.. and how do i know what to set them to if i do. or do I leave the settings the way they are is there anything recommended that increases the quality, I want to get the best quality possible. I like to use nebula for pre amps, tape, saturation, a little eq, and sometimes the consoles, any good advise would greatly be appreciated thanks!
captainbeats
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Help Me Please!!!!!

Postby jorismak » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:51 am

Basically, the way the programs come is how the library-developers want them to sound, and you should leave it at that :).

In the master section aren't that special things to improve quality. MAST page is more about getting Nebula to work in the first place, and how to affect it startup-sequence, and if it uses multi-cpu-cores, etc..
There are ways there to _limit_ the quality to save CPU, but by default they are all maxed.

There is a 'quality' thing in the MAST page - default to '1 times' - that should affect quality if put higher. But any recent DAW will inform Nebula of offline rendering and Nebula will turn that quality up automatically. And even then the effect is so subtle. Reaper is the only DAW that I know off (not many :)) that you need to tell 'inform plugins of offline rendering state'. Every other DAW I played around with had that by default.

Now, there are different methods to calculating the kernels. 'FREQD' mode and 'TIMED' mode. There is a whole thing there to tweak.

In a nutshell, TIMED mode may give better quality, but the kernels must be 10ms in length or more to make them sound OK (I think), and this can consume huge amounts of CPU power.

The thing is, this is saved per library / program, so the library devs can fine tune this till they think it sounds OK. I know of people that switch everything they got to 50ms TIMED kernels... I also know of a lot of 3rd-party devs AND Acustica people that will tell you to 'just leave it alone, the library developers knows what he is doing'.

IF you want to play around with TIMED tweak, there are old FAQs and such about it around here on the forum somewhere, just search for it. It involves doing a one-time tweak to the Nebula Reverb.xml to allow TIMED kernels of more than 10ms, and then open up every program you want to tweak and on the KERN page switch everything to the left side for TIMED and increase the time per kernel to 50ms. But I'm not sure..

.. I for one don't bother with it. It's easy to f*ck things up here :).

You get more fun and quality out of Nebula by careful gain-staging than by tweaking parameters (As a user) I have learned.
jorismak

Re: Help Me Please!!!!!

Postby captainbeats » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:59 am

Thanks for you help!!
captainbeats
User Level 0
User Level 0

Return to Working with Nebula