Login

Nebula 3 Pro 96k Reverb & Delay Programs = Stuttering

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula 3 Pro 96k Reverb & Delay Programs = Stuttering

Postby jorismak » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Lowering the DSP buffer value will reduce the latency the Nebula brings. And with a DSP buffer very high it can go towards 16384 samples of latency, which some DAWs even don't properly handle :).

You shouldn't have to make sure every track has the same latency, your DAW (if it's any bit of 'modern' descent DAW) will compensate all the tracks to be properly aligned. If you have one track with 16384-latency Nebula on it, and another track with a 128-latency Waves plugin, your DAW should make sure the 128-latency track gets delayed enough to match the 16384-latency track.

It should not affect how fast / smooth nebula switches between the vectors (but please correct me if wrong here). AFAIK that's what the Liquidity control is for, and on old programs you had a weird 'attack/release' which you weren't allowed to touch :). These days those parameters are hidden from the main interface I think.

What cupwise is saying is that (for sound) it should have no bad impact to set the DSPBuffer very high, but the latency will be awkward to work with if it's very high, so you might want to finetune the DSP buffer a bit for your system.
jorismak

Postby harmonik » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:31 pm

Maybe my own communication isn't clear, sorry. I'm not concerned about how big the latency is or matching them between tracks in that my DAW's delay compensation automatically handles that fine.

My question is whether Cupwise was only talking about latency or if high dspbuffer has some additional unwanted effect on maybe interpolation or some other function.
harmonik
User Level V
User Level V

Postby jorismak » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:47 pm

read the last part from what I typed.

but still, I might be wrong.
jorismak

Postby harmonik » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:00 pm

Exactly. I'm not convinced he was talking about latency because he said smoothness, which suggests interpolation to me.
harmonik
User Level V
User Level V

Postby jorismak » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:02 pm

he said "smoothness in adjusting the controls"
jorismak

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula