Login

Nebula 3 Pro 96k Reverb & Delay Programs = Stuttering

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula 3 Pro 96k Reverb & Delay Programs = Stuttering

Postby kels » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:31 am

One time i tried cuda it was a pita to get working (no blinking stuff in MAST page :)), and then it was much much slower than normal . But I only tried short programs (preamps, tape and such).

CUDA does not work for preamps, console, compressors and so. But it does work for Reverbs. Once you get it to work with your GPU, it is a great tool.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=162&p=1271&hilit=cuda+preamp#p1271

The only things to watch for, are the kernel lenghts. Minimum 150ms and they all must be the same lenght.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby jpchartrand » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:44 pm

I'm also getting MAJOR stuttering when using Nebula for over 15 instances.

I have an i7 and 16 gigs of ram. RAIDed SSD's. My cpu hits not even 20% but my audio is breaking up.

I've tried to change my DAW buffer from 512 to 1024 but it makes it worse. I've changed the Nebula DSPBUFFER to 1024 and it makes it somewhat better.

My question is... if my cpu is not even up to 20%, why is the audio breaking up? How can I fix this?
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby giancarlo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:05 pm

yes increase dspbuffer. It is not a matter of cpu overload but cpu fastness. Maybe it cant process buffers quickly enough
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby jpchartrand » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:29 pm

Thanks! You don't think that my soundcard is the problem here?

Upgrading my CPU would fix this?
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby jpchartrand » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:35 pm

Would overclocking my i7 4770k fix this?
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Cupwise » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:55 am

just keep raising the dspbuffer, going in multiples of 2 each time, until you can run more instances without stuttering.

you should do this with a nebula .dll/xml that you are only going to use for reverbs, because raising that buffer reduces the smoothness in response to your adjusting of any controls in any program you load with that higher buffer setting. not a big deal with reverbs, but with some things it could be bad.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:50 am

hey thanks. Never occurred to me that the DSP might be too low. Just like the latency / buffer settings of your ASIO card, I thought it didn't had a noticeable effect these days (1024 ASIO samples or 128 has the same load over here).

But my default 'nebula3 reverb' instance had a DSP buffer of 512. Raising that to 8192 and I suddenly play back a track with VNXT's EMT140 demo on it with < 5% cpu load. That DSP buffer seems to go from 'too low no cpu power left' to 'high enough everything works without a sweat' :). I had tried raising it to 1024 and 2048 but had no effect. It just needs to be large enough for the tails or something I guess.
jorismak

Postby harmonik » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:03 pm

Cupwise wrote:you should do this with a nebula .dll/xml that you are only going to use for reverbs, because raising that buffer reduces the smoothness in response to your adjusting of any controls in any program you load with that higher buffer setting. not a big deal with reverbs, but with some things it could be bad.

Do mean the interpolation itself is less smooth at high dspbuffer, or just that the response has a lot of latency?
harmonik
User Level V
User Level V

Postby jpchartrand » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:41 pm

When I raise the latency of my soundcard it sounds even worse. Isn't that kinda weird? It seems like the only latency that works is 512 :?
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby harmonik » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:25 pm

Since I use at least one Neb reverb in a mix, I just use max dspbuffer for every program (then the effective mix latency is just the worst single track latency - which is always Nebula - plus ASIO latency)... Major delay between DAW gui changes and sound response but I've gotten used to it. I haven't noticed any "smoothness" or other sound quality problems till now using max dspbuffer, but haven't done a ton of comparing with dspbuffer sizes or automating Neb sliders. Cupwise has me curious though now. As always in this forum, the communication has to be just right or it just gets more confusing.
harmonik
User Level V
User Level V

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula