Login

Nebula loading time

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula loading time

Postby darren » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi folks,

Nebula seems to take a while to load initially. Is this because it's looking at the library of programs before it starts (scanning for new programs maybe)?

If so, it might be useful to have a manual scan rather than have it take an age each time it loads.

It seems odd though as I've only got the standard library plus about 10 third party libs.

Cheers
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Nebula loading time

Postby enriquesilveti » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:55 pm

darren wrote:Hi folks,

Nebula seems to take a while to load initially. Is this because it's looking at the library of programs before it starts (scanning for new programs maybe)?

If so, it might be useful to have a manual scan rather than have it take an age each time it loads.

It seems odd though as I've only got the standard library plus about 10 third party libs.

Cheers

We already address a solution in version 655 that is under beta test now. Also +3/+30 loading time from 654 is working and no one beta tester report any issue yet. We will release a new tip of the month related with this features due I need a little file tweak before enjoy this N4 feature that all customer are getting for free (Giancarlo is still in SantaGian mode)
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby darren » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:20 pm

Good to know.

I await the update with god-like patience.
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Postby marcpl » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:12 pm

hi Darren,

I think what you're looking for is <FROZENBOOT> which let's you turn library scanning ON or OFF.

0 = OFF (scan)
1 = ON (no scan)

it's been a life saver for me. no more waiting 30 to 60 seconds for neb to load. it's great.

here's the link for more info:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=27850

although there are a bunch of steps I don't really think you have to do anything other than add FROZENBOOT to you nebula XMLs. maybe someone from acustica can chime in to elaborate.

best of luck,
marco
marcpl
User Level X
User Level X

Postby jorismak » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:49 pm

not from Nebula :), but I can confirm that with the latest 668 (and maybe earlier versions), you have to add a 'FROZENBOOT' tag to the XML file in your VST / plugin directory.

So, add a line like this:
<FROZENBOOT> 1 </FROZENBOOT>

somewhere in the middle of that file and you're set. It won't (re)scan during loading. No other parameters to tweak.

If you add new libraries, remember to set FROZENBOOT to 0 and load up nebula so it scans the new stuff. After that you can switch it back to 1 to get the fast loading again.

I've bought Henry's 'all-you-can-eat' pack (basically everything he ever made?) and it's a whopping 25gb of libraries. I put them in a dedicated folder and 'made' a special 'henry nebula' and 'henry nebula reverb' plugin, with frozenboot set to 1. They load up almost instantly, even with a freshly booted computer. Very handy, since I won't be adding new henry-libraries anything soom to that repository :S.
jorismak

Postby darren » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

I do think the devs ought to just put a rescan button in the GUI.

I tend to know when I've installed a new library, and am therefore in a position to remind Nebula manually ;)
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Postby darren » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:47 pm

Also, if you set <SCANBOOT> 0 </SCANBOOT>
then heavy nebula projects seem to load *much* faster.

There is no way of browsing your library with that set though - it just loads the program that the instance in your project was saved with. But a good tip if you've got a session with shedloads of instances.

SCANBOOT can also be set to 0 or 1 in the Nebula GUI on the MAST page.

Try it, it's really a helluva lot quicker.
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Postby jorismak » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:18 pm

Well, like you said you can't browse libraries anymore. Which makes it kinda useless, only handy for quick read only recalls :).

Scanboot is the primary magic behind nebula-setups though. Xml files in the repository somewhere tell the DLL what should be listed inside Nebula, so Nebula doesn't have to scan itself.

In all honesty, frozenboot is just as fast here and allows browsing. 'scanboot 0' and 'frozenboot 1' should be the same speed during loading I guess. Someone correct me if wrong :).
jorismak

Return to Working with Nebula