Login

Tape compression?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Tape compression?

Postby Martinez » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:01 am

So I've noticed that the compression side of things has really come along since I was here last. Is there any chance of anyone sampling the tape compression side of things?

This would be a huge step forward if it could be done.

:D
Martinez

Re: Tape compression?

Postby Martinez » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm

So I take it that's a no then?
Martinez

Postby mtalavera » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:57 am

Are you looking specifically for a compressor that samples the type of compression you get with tape, or looking for an overall tape effect that also includes compression? CDSoundMaster has a three-level tape offering that has two sets of Nebula libraries and then the last stage being a VST plugin. The last stage, called VTM-M2, says in its description, " provides a full range of use from subtle, clean response to higher gain, deeper harmonic distortion and compression".

Check out their site and see if that is what you were looking for. They offer both nebula libraries and VST plugins that include the Nebula engine.
mtalavera

Postby Martinez » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:13 am

Thanks for that mtalavera.

I was hoping that someone was working on the tape compression side of things. I know that Michael from CDSoundmaster has the tape library and tape booster, which is supposed to has the saturation side of things down. I thought VTM was an algo though?
I was more hoping someone was thinking about sampling the compression side of it.

I use Nag tape from Signal to noise which I absolutely love the sound of. It would be really nice to have a tape compression to treat my tracks with as well.
I downloaded a the 660 limiter from Tim Cupwise, and it's fantastic! ( I will be buying as soon as funds become available) I thought maybe he might be working on it.
Martinez

Return to Working with Nebula