Login

fresh install of Nebula goes on and Nebulasetups kicks ass

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

fresh install of Nebula goes on and Nebulasetups kicks ass

Postby dreaddd » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:02 pm

just for mind sanity sake..
nowadays i dont have to tweak xml files after installing Nebula Pro right? can someone confirm that pls?
i remember vaguely from the only previous install i made around more than 3 yrs ago that i was tweaking some file on the reverb dll folder but not sure..

btw first run of NebulaSetups , i opened Mammoth tweaked a bit and closed not even realizing the beast already created the dll plugin for me :)
jeeeeeez that was easy :)
NebulaSetups kicks ass BIG TIME for using Nebula..do yourself a favour if you use a lot of free libraries and/or commercial ones.-get this app ASAP!
holy crap i wish i could have used it from the start of my experience with Nebula ..

cheers
dreaddd
User Level II
User Level II

Re: fresh install of Nebula goes on and Nebulasetups kicks a

Postby yr » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:17 pm

The only change I make to the XML is increase the <LTIMED> to 100000 so that I can use long kernels in timed mode
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dreaddd » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:30 pm

thx man..i'll investigate on the plugin tonight with the manual aside :)
dreaddd
User Level II
User Level II

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:16 pm

Upgrade will not change XML(s) just update .DLL/.VST files and NAT/Nebula Server .EXE files. Anyway if you have tweaked XML(s) Nebula setups will do the job for you.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby dreaddd » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:53 am

thanks everyone, to avoid any unexpected problem ill start tweaking only if i see thats awfully noticed on performance while using the patches i use mostly..
if it aint broke ...:P
cheers
dreaddd
User Level II
User Level II

Postby dream » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:29 am

enriquesilveti wrote:Upgrade will not change XML(s) just update .DLL/.VST files and NAT/Nebula Server .EXE files. Anyway if you have tweaked XML(s) Nebula setups will do the job for you.

Is this true even if you have a lot of Nebula with many XML settings, than you install Nebula Setups and finally you upgrade Nebula?
In this scenario will Nebula Setups create many versions with the same XML settings you tweaked already or in order to do that you have to tweak all the XML settings at least the first time after you installed Nebula Setups?

Probably I wasn't that clear. :D
Mixing Engineer | Producer | Editing Audio Expert
http://www.davidefant.com
dream

Postby mtalavera » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:06 pm

If I understand your question correctly, there is a way with Nebula Setup to only update the dll file and not touch the custom XML files that go along with them.

When you perform an upgrade of Nebula, you do not want to recreate the XML files that are created as part of the Nebula Setup process. In order to just upgrade the dll files, you go to the Tools menu, then Setups Manager, which is the only option in that menu. At the bottom are check boxes, which are probably all checked when you open the window. Uncheck the bottom two, which are "Use tweaks" and "Nebula plugin configuration file(s) (.xml). Only leave checked the 32 bit, the 64 bit, if you normally use both of those like I do, and the "Nebula VST plugin binaries (.dll). Select all the items in the table (for Windows, you can select one of them then use ctrl-A to select all). Then click the "(Re)create/update selected setup(s)" at the top left.

Again, the bottom two check boxes should be left unchecked.

So what this will do is ONLY update the dll files and not touch your XML files at all. This is how I upgrade Nebula and all the custom setup version I have created. Works perfectly every time.
mtalavera

Postby dream » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:02 pm

Hi mtlavera,

that's very encouraging! Especially for me: I've got more than 30 Nebula custom configurations and thinking of redoing all those tweaks don't make me that joyful. :D
FYI I'm on OS X 10.8.5 and I use only 32 bit plugin versions, but just saying, that's not relevant.
Thanks for your meticulous explanation, it's seems pretty easy and painless.

At this point I'll give it a shot very soon, since I've already got Nebula Setups.

Just another question, out of curiosity: tweaking the XLM during the many upgrades we saw in the past, made me think that the XML file was different every time on each upgrade, some line added, some line changed. Probably I'm mistaken, at the end of the day I don't know what I'm talking about. :D
dream

Postby RJHollins » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:26 pm

dream wrote:Just another question, out of curiosity: tweaking the XLM during the many upgrades we saw in the past, made me think that the XML file was different every time on each upgrade, some line added, some line changed.... :D

I don't have the details, but I've seen mention of new command lines in the main XML file that apply to the latest versions of Nebula.
I think the 'confusion' is justified :roll: Normally this not a concern, until it involves maintaining all the custom NEBs [a growing list for sure].
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby dream » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks for your presence RJ. :)

Are you suggesting to not upgrading in this way? I'm still on Nebula Server 1.3.505 and I would like to update the version to the latest one (1.3.636) for using new libraries like the new AlexB console for instance.
dream

Next

Return to Working with Nebula